Locking hubs on GU Patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:44
ThreadID: 3936 Views:3653 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody explain in laymans terms how the front hubs work on the GU patrol if they are left in auto does it stay in 4wd i have been told that if you go in reverse it will disengage is this true. Also is it safe to cross water crossings that may let water cover the intercooler i do have a snorkel fitted.I am also in the process of buying a evakool fridge and would like to purchase a fridge slide. I have fitted one of the draw systems that were on special recentley for $300.I think from RED DESSERT.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:04

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:04
Watercrossings with Intercoolers.

The turbo is more of a worry than the Intercooler..

Intercoolers should be kewl in water... Ive been told by mate that makes them for performance cars and 4wds that they are ok, Intercooler is a radiator, Nothing more serious than that!...

if your not sure, by the time you stop inspect the water crossing, walk it, that would be 10 mins so should be no problems.. if in doubt, have a coffee and then cross... that would be 30 mins!

How do you find the red deserts? I have one in my GQ, and on my page there is a GOOD how to Mod thing on making a fridge slide out of the Draw top! Takes 1 hour to do.

My Place on the Net go here, then click on Rear Storage on the left
AnswerID: 15608

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:26

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:26
Leaving your front hubs in auto is the common position, you only have to select low or high range and it will stay in that range. To disengage 4x4 put the transfer case in 2wd, then reverse aprox 1meter, to unlock the hubs. You can however manually lock in the hubs for serious 4x4 by turning the bolt head on the hubs from auto to lock. Getting out of this setting is as above, make sure you put the hubs back to auto, then into 2wd then reverse. I hope that wasn't to complicated. Andrew..
AnswerID: 15615

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:51

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:51
Joeblogs you obviously have a GU TD. I can read your question two ways: 1- You are worried about damaging the intercooler with water - refer to Trucksters reply. 2 - You are worried about the depth of water up to the bonnet inlet of the intercooler - I would be worried too, at this point you are nearly up to windscreen level. Plenty of practice needed before you go in at the deep end, you have to be able tocheck the depth and bottom by walking but not in croc country- never be in too much of a hurry, there's always tomorrow.
Arn't the instructions for the hubs on the other side of the sun visor ?
AnswerID: 15643

Sponsored Links