OT Moral Quandary

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:42
ThreadID: 39673 Views:2757 Replies:40 FollowUps:36
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

I write this to seek guidance to a moral quandary/dilemma. I was put in the unfortunate circumstance to retrieve a small child (not mine) from a pool a few weeks back (not after a pat on the back, the quandary follows). We were all at a swim school were our kids are learning to swim but the need arose for me to jump and retrieve the child from the bottom of the pool (quick response meant no resuss!!) but on my hip was my 2 day old PDA/Phone?Camera ect ect (Read expensive toy). Now the "toy" is cactus and I am out of pocket heaps.

What do you do as the parent of the retrieved child?
What do you do as the swim school operator?
What do you do as me?

I have been offered a sum of money from one party involved but not nearly enough to replace the PDA/Phone. My biggest dilemma is why the hell was I forced into this situation in the first place (A lifeguard on duty would have prevented all this!!!) and now should I just grit my teeth and say well I did the right thing even if it has cost me a pretty penny, take the offer made and get on with things????

Signed sincerely,
In two minds.

PS I will be out on the road so responses will take time to read but all input welcommed and answered. Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:52

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:52
hell!

What a dilemma!

Do you write off you gear on the basis that you should feel good for rescuing the child?

Do you hit up the child's parents and then be seen as a mercenary bleep ?

Just how would any of us handle this situation?

I do believe that you should front the responsible parties involved with the swim school, they do after all have a duty of care. I would be surprised if they could really show that they had fulfilled their duty.

After all that the ball is back in your court and I'm not sure that your any further ahead in the advice stake.

Congrats and well done!

Ian
AnswerID: 206216

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:40

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:40
Thanks Ian, your input helps believe it or not.

I do not want to be seen as a mercenary bleep. So the small cash payment will more than likely be gratefully accepted and just get on with life.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466157

Reply By: MP - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:53

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:53
Just a thought - does your house and contents insurance cover it under accisental loss/damage?

Mark
AnswerID: 206217

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:00

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:00
Nope as it was not at my place. The PDA/Phone was barely taken out of the box so insurance outside the home had not been organised.

Thanks for the thoughts.
FollowupID: 466139

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:27

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:27
Good on you for your quick action in saving the child.

Most household insurance policies have a percentage of the amount of contents cover on things away from home, such as this, without having to take out the expensive "all risks anywhere" cover, however they will probably argue that you jumped into the pool so it is your fault - still worth a try and try again though.

Back to the moral dilemma - i feel i would accept what you have been offered without pushing for more. Perhaps a 'friend' could pass around the hat to other families at the pool asking for a small donation towards your loss.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 466192

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:55

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:55
Thinking on the reverse foot, if it was my child someone save, I'd gladly fork out for such items. I'd fork out without being asked to. But you'd have to know that there was some excessive loss, so someone would have to tactfully share info with the parents...
AnswerID: 206219

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:56

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:56
Trevor....you saved a childs life....no one can put a value on that....you saved a life of a child...that's awesome man...what a honour to be that person...you acted immedeately and unselfishly....saving a life and in the process something that you once held valuable (PDA) was lost, but mate the child is alive and has a future.
I know you will be rewarded for what you have lost, it will come back to you a hundred times more.....just wait and see.
In the meantime I want to thank you for just being there and rescueing that child....THANKYOU...Phil
AnswerID: 206220

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:20

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:20
Well put Phil, having lost two of mine and one very close to me am in tears mate, you said a heap.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 466144

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:43

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:43
What can one say to that, you are so right and I would like to thank you for putting it into perspective.

Advice will be heeded. Best regards,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 466158

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:56

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:56
Trevor,

Firstly, good on you for reacting in time to ensure that there was not a disaster.

With regard to the PDA, is it possible that it maybe covered by some Personal Effects policy that you might have, and if so, get the parent to pay the excess.

I know that if I was the parent, I would not hesitate to replace it for you, no questions asked. Better than loosing a child, that's for sure.

At the end of the day, if all reasonable requests for compensation fail, then I suppose you have to wear it be content with the fact that you did a good thing, even if there was a personal sacrifice.

AnswerID: 206222

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:48

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:48
Sadly no insurance for the PDA/Phone on my behalf. That was looked into early on in the piece.

Think I would sleep better if I just take what has been offered and move on, or try to get the PDA down to Eric in Melbourne to take up his kind gesture to fix it for me.
See you in Port one day. I have outlaws down there and will try to bump you when down there one day.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466159

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:58

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 20:58
hmmm ... real hard one ... I would start with your own insurance company ... some cover accidental loss and damage for personal property away from the home.
Otherwise a polite letter to the swim school operator, even then I would not be sure if they are liable at law ... sure they have a duty of care to the child etc, but not for damage to a good Samaritan's property (I would think)
AnswerID: 206223

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:54

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:54
Being forceful is not one of my strong points so I will probably just take the honour of being in the right place at the right time and go back to getting info out of my diary as opposed to moving into the 20th century with the PDA.

Thanks for your input.
Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466163

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:00

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:00
well done mate your a champ.
if it were my child ive give you my mrs(she has her own phone)
once again well done
AnswerID: 206225

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:49

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:49
one mrs is expensive enough so I would pass on doubling my debts hehehe.

Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 466160

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:02

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:02
If i was in the same situation, I would choose the first option: "say well I did the right thing even if it has cost me a pretty penny", however if the situation arises naturally, i would "take the offer made and get on with things".

My thoughts are that PDAs are replaceable, however our kids aren't.......

Good luck, i'm sure any decision will be the right decision, even if it doesn't feel right.

Andrew
AnswerID: 206226

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:51

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:51
Your input is valuable and I thank you for taking the time to repsond. As always it is good advice.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466161

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:04

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:04
Many years ago I was in a similar situation. My toy was a very expensive watch. Unfortunately I was there as an offocial. It wasn't my job to dive in but someone had to do it and quickly.
I didn't even think. At the end of the day it cost me a lot of money to replace the watch, but it was worth it. I didn't even dream of asking anyone to help me out. It was my personal decision.
AnswerID: 206227

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:57

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:57
Thanks Footy, I too would not change what I did and whatever outcome I will sleep well tonight and tomorrow night ect ect. The technology will be replaced in time anyway.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466165

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:04

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:04
If it was my child Trev, I would have re imbursed you fully for your losses. As far as the swim school involved, they should also re imburse you for your losses as you have potentially saved them a heap in legal fees / sueing bills!! Well done mate Unc. Ps there are some people out there though that just dont give a rip and are non appreciative to ANYTHING...
AnswerID: 206229

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:01

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:01
That's been my thoughts all along as well (Re the swim school) but after reading a few of the responses here it really does feel like it was almost an honour on my behalf to be put in that position and the PDA/Phone will be replaced without having to go without food or shelter so why should I be too worried???

Thanks for your valued input.
Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466166

Follow Up By: johnny - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 17:57

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 17:57
i agree with uncle

at least the centre can chip in i would mention it to the centre about how much you have saved them in lawyer fees

maybe the swim centre could still be sued for not up holding there duty of care
not for the loss of life ,but for neglect and as a result you have now lost

take it to vcat small claims against the centre
FollowupID: 466335

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:18

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:18
Hi Johnny,

It's the swim school offerring some monetry compensation, the parents haven't offerred jack yet. This would not be my response to the situation if the shoe was on the other foot, but who am I to say how everybody else should act in a given situation.

Thanks for your comments.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 466390

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:08

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:08
Hi Trevor

No matter what, what you did was the best thing you could do at that particular time. So take the bow, accept the pats on the back for what you did and know that YOU are a good Samaritan in the true sense of the meaning.
We all know no one stops to check pockets in this type of situation so surely the shop where you bought it from may come to the party? Maybe your insurance might see the goodwill to replace the phone. (affidavits from witnesses may help?)
At the end of the day only you can know what you feel is "just and fair". So if it means taking the small amount offered and purchasing another phone from your money, then so be it.
I hope you find a happy solution to your dilemma.

Cya
M.O.H.
:)
AnswerID: 206231

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:21

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:21
Trevor,

You did a great thing, be proud.
And it cost you something, which you didn't think about at the time.
Good on you.
That is real giving, not counting the cost at the time.
Whatever reaction you are getting you did the right thing.

But you need to move on. Don't let these others hold you back.
Accept graciously what you can,and live your life.
Let the others in thier shock and grief wonder if they have done the right thing.
And just hope when your family needs help in a similar situation that some one like you will be around.
AnswerID: 206238

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:21

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:21
Well Trevor as I said above mate you did the best thing you could have, I think I would write off the phone to experience, also send a note to the swim school and thank the parents or whoever for their kind offer and accept it

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 206239

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:07

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:07
Bonz,

your opinion means more than most in this situation and I thank you for taking the time to respond. It has been taken on board and feel sure this is the choice I will take, it was what I was thinking all along anyway.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 466167

Reply By: F4Phantom - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:23

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:23
The problem is that you have acted as a hero and if I was in that situation I would want to keep it that way. People will remember you for what you did good in time to come, or if you muddy the water then people will remember you as the demanding selfish guy who only helps people for a reward. I think you need to rise above it, cut your losses and move on. I heard the meaning of the word sacrifice is to give up something you cant keep in return for something you cant loose. in this case you made a text book sacrifice, the PDA was worth bugger all in 6 months time anyway, but your good deed will always be part of your life.

AnswerID: 206240

Follow Up By: F4Phantom - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:25

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:25
Actually take it one step further, take the money offered and buy the swim school some new equipment, like a life ring. That will put you up there with superstars.
FollowupID: 466145

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:09

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:09
Wiser words not spoken. Thank you for pointing it out and making it hit home.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466168

Reply By: DazQldManx - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:30

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:30
Well Done!!

I don't think anyone would disagree that you did the right thing. As for your PDA, As someone else has already stated check with you insurer it might be covered anyway. If it were my child that you saved I would be offering to pay for it, but maybe the parents are not in that financial position? As someone else said you will find that overtime other things will happen to more than compensate you for the material loss you have suffered.
In the mean time if you do not get any joy from the insurers, I would be willing to throw in $10 as a donation into a Save the PDA Fund Acct just to say thanks, after all my kids might be in need of someone like you in the future(When I have Kids that is).

Anyone else willing to throw in some cash if needed?

Regards
Darryl
AnswerID: 206243

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:12

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:12
Daz,

Thanks for the time to respond. I will not be going without food or shelter if I have to replace the PDA at my expense so the donation fund is not really necessary in this instance but thank you for your thoughts.

I will just wait for the "good things" to happen in the future, but I won't hold my breath till they do LOL!!

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466169

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:36

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 21:36
You did the right thing Trevor and a very courageous one at that.

Unfortunately the loss of your phone has nothing to do with your heroism. You will have to wear the consequences of that.

I know, I have been in similar situations more than once.

You could go down the path of suing the Swim School but in the end that will just cause unnecessary aggravation.

Take what is offered and walk away from it.

My opinion.

Cheers
AnswerID: 206245

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:14

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:14
Was my thoughts anyway so thank you for reinforcing them.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466170

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:04

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:04
Trevor.
Well done. If you can get the phone to me in Melbourne I will fix it for you. If you want to fix it yourself just wash it in fresh water and then place it in a vacuum chamber for an hour or so, then spray all the components with "electronic component washing fluid" available from electronic shops. Eric
AnswerID: 206256

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:18

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:18
Yes trevor well done, you will be able to sleep easy for your efforts.

Thanks Eric for your great offer, hope you can help him.

I am sure your phone would be covered on your house insurance to Trevor, anything i take camping etc is covered by mine, its like loosing a wedding ring, most times there covered!

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 466154

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:24

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:24
Thanks Eric,

If I do as you say and use "electronic component washing fluid" how long can I expect things to last? I have someone lined up to do it but it will cost about what I am being offered as cash compensation. or would I be better to put the cash towards the cost of a replacement PDA/Phone? May be hard to get the phone to Melb??? as I am in Brissy.

PS it's an Imate JasJam what I am talking about if that makes any difference.

Thanks Pesty but no insurance in this instance.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 466173

Follow Up By: Junior - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 20:39

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 20:39
Hi Trevor- bit of a rush saving a life isn't it?!!!

Now for the phone- does is power up/ work at all?
If you haven't already removed the battery- DO IT NOW!
And DO NOT put it on charge.
Also DO NOT 'wash' it in water again!- that's what killed it in the first place- it could be demineralised, cleanest water available- doesn't mater- don't wash it.
Also please don't use "electronic parts cleaner"- this stuff isn't meant to leave a residue, but most out there is cheap crap and will leave a bigger mess behind than what you started with.
You might get SUPER lucky and not have done any real damage, but it is highly unlikely- sorry.
The Telstra Repair Centre won't usually touch a phone with liquid ingress/ damage even for a paid repair, due to having to apply their own 90day warranty to all repairs- and most water-damage repairs would bounce, resulting in a cost to the business when phones have to be replaced.
LastAussieWorker was lucky, but they probably made an exception as it sounds like he was in a similar situation to you.
Try electronics shop, and buy some 'Isopropyl Alcohol' and you might be able to get an 'esd' safe scrubbing brush and go to town on the circuit board/s- the ipa will evaporate away. Before handling the board, try to 'discharge' your personal static charge by touching something grounded.
At a minimum, you're likely to need a new battery.
Unfortunately the future for this phone/pda is fairly bleak- these pcb now are double-sided, 'multiple-layer' boards, meaning that you can clean the surface, but corrossion can occur between the boards' layers, also chipsets on board are likely to have been short circuited while powered up in the drink. Also most chips now are 'bga' designs, which entail a grid of tiny balls of solder underneath the chip to contact the board, and you can't get under to clean.
If a repair centre were to repair, they would strip phone, scrub with ipa, 'reflow' entire board including bga's, test and reflash s/w and possibly firmware, retune, replace speaker, mic any required cosmetics, re-assemble, test again and send out.
But with a dunking like that, even if it got working again- it's working on borrowed time (sorry!)
(I used to be an repair tech at the Telstra Repair Centre in Mentone, Vic).
FollowupID: 466369

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:29

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:29
Hi junior,

All removeable things were removed immediately and left out for 4 days before I was game to turn on for myself. To my surprise it powered up but phone mic didn't work and it seems a bit slower to do tasks but it was new before the drink and I may be imagining slower speeds????? still using an older PDA at present to get me by.

Sounds like I should put the cash offer towards a new unit as opposed to getting the wet one "repaired"

Thanks for the input.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 466395

Follow Up By: Junior - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:51

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:51
Sorry Trevor, but yes, that would be my advice. Also (and you've probably already done this) back the jigger up while you can!
FollowupID: 466400

Reply By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:12

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:12
Turn down the offer of money and, instead, know you did what any person with a shred of decency would have done.

I doubt, had the parents been at the poolside, you would have negotiated a deal before jumping in, would you?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 206257

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:37

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:37
Strangely enough one of the parents was at poolside but didn't hear the muffled scream where I did. Still would not have stood round negotiating none the less.

Thanks for your advice.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 466156

Reply By: Member - eerfree(QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:14

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:14
Well done Trevor, as many have inferred "What goes round comes round", it may cost you from your pocket but your heart will always feel good!
Oh, one more thing - find a new Swim School !!!!

eerfree

AnswerID: 206259

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:35

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:35
Yep, the new swim school has been sought as I don't want my son in that same situation and needing a bystanders help.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 466155

Reply By: T-Ribby - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:40

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 22:40
What dilemma? you did the right thing.
There is absolutely no comparison between the life of a child and your
expensive toy.
Take the loss and be proud of how you responded.

Terry R.
AnswerID: 206262

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:27

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:27
Thanks T.R from another T.R good advice.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 466175

Reply By: Barnesy - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:14

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:14
You did a good job Trevor. People seem to have given good advice. From personal experience working in a hospital when you are able to save someones life (or contribute to it) it is the proudest moment you could experience. After an emergency in the hospital everything else seems irrelevant and a pittance, me wanting a snorkel, or dual battery is nothing.

It's puts everything into perspective. Over time no doubt you will forget about the phone and one day maybe see that child walking down the street and the feeling of pride you will get is priceless.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 206268

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:27

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:27
Too true Barnsey and I hope I do bump into them in the future, in better circumstances of course.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 466174

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:17

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:17
Trevor,

You've received an opportunity that very few of us will in our lifetimes. You've risen to the occasion and saved someone's life. I can't think of anything better that one can do.

Well done.
AnswerID: 206269

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:30

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:30
Yeah Gramps after reading all the responses I am starting to think it was almost, a gift given to me, and it doesn't matter what it cost me financially.

Cheers mate,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 466176

Reply By: ferris - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:46

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 23:46
Hi Trevor,

Congratulations. No doubt your quick thinking saved a child's life. Nothing else you can ever do in your life will be as important as that, except perhaps raising your own children to become successful adults in the community.

Many years ago, an employer gave me some advice which I still use to this day. It's called the '3 week rule.' Apart from the important, leave everything else for 3 weeks and then review it. If it is still important, and likely to be important in 12 months, then do something about it. If the loss of the PDA is going to be important to your life, and you will still miss it in a years time, then do something about it, otherwise just put it to one side. I suspect at the end of the day, you'll write the PDA off as one of life's experiences. Something to tell the grandkids about.

Keep the shiny side up
Ferris

ps All paperwork that comes across my desk always sits in the in tray for 3 weeks after I've first read it, regardless of workload.
AnswerID: 206276

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 00:52

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 00:52
One other thing Trevor, about 4 weeks after a bilateral hernia operation, yes they cut my down "there" on both sides and sewed up the inguinal canal (try googling that!) we were in Ocean Grove with friends and we had walked down to feed the ducks at a little pond there. When I say "walked" i mean took one step gingerly and winced at the pain of the rubbing on the suture lines, it wa an effort I must say...... Well our good friends daughter Caroline (name changed to protect the dripping) who was about 2 at the time, slipped atthe side of the pond and went in head first.

I did the only thing I could I stepped down about 4 feet into the water and dragged her out by the arm, many tears later and after calming down I STRUGGLED BACK TO THEIR HOUSE hahahahaha she cried a bit too I recall. Gee I still wince when I think about it.

Anyhow these many years later when I see her I still get a kick out of calling her "Duck Bait" funnily enough I dont remember the pain when I see and talk to her and her parents.

All you will remember in a few years time is the act of saving a life, not the feeling of your guts trying to get out of two perfectly symmetrical holes just about Mr Impossible....oops thats me again, sorry, anyhow what was I saying???

I think u get the point and have a laugh. And thanx for your comments about, my advice is just advice, my experience is shared with many friends here. But I reckon your onto a solution.

p.s. I am trying to get work to buy me a i-Mate JASJAM, must stay away from pools when i get it.

Stay sane mate

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 206290

Reply By: Member - Tim - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:39

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:39
Hi Trev,

I think all the posts above about how good a thing you have done are spot on. No one can ever take that away from you.

I do however think that the swim school is the one that should be responsible. If they had the proper life savers and supervision then you would not have had to do what you did. It is difficult to look at situations that involve a child's life in purely monetary terms but if you had not been there they would likely have been up for expensive court costs, loss of reputation and considerable damage to their business. I don't think they could get out of that and no one would consider you a money grubber for suggesting that they replace what you lost as a result of them not fulfilling their duty of care.

I would knock back any offer from the parents as they would already be suffering enough just wondering about what could have happened and, as we all have to at times, they had passed the duty of care over to a commercial organisation for a short period of time.

But hey, I also agree that if they don't respond the way they should then don't lose sleep, you did the right thing.

Tim.
AnswerID: 206296

Reply By: CLC50 - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 06:34

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 06:34
Hi Trevor
Great work.
One day a young person will come up to you ,& say thanks & then tell you,You save his life, That will be one of the greatest events in your Life,

The Phone can be replaced,put not the Child

AnswerID: 206305

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 07:13

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 07:13
Trevor,

As others have said above..... if it was my child you had saved, I would hapily reimburse you! Perhaps the family involved are unaware of your loss...... But also, if I was in your position, I would cop it sweet as well, and be happy enough with the knowledge that a child lives through my actions.

Years ago I left the office where I worked and drove along Kortum Dr at Burleigh past the Ten Pin Bowling Alley... not speeding, but doing just under the speed limit.... a toddler ran out on the road in front of my car, luckily my reactions were quick enough that day that although I got damn close, and the squealing tyres frightened her enough that she fell over, at least I didn't hit her. Her mum ran onto the road, picked her up and bundled her into the car and took off. I was kinda dazed and shocked..... I pulled over and, still being a smoker in those days, smoked 3 or 4 ciggies in quick time I can tell you. The following week, as I read the paper over a cuppa, their was a "letter to the editor" telling the story and thanking me for my quick reaction. I still have that news cutting somewhere here, it lived on my desk for a long time to remind me that no matter what is happening in life, it can all change in the blink of an eye!

I can't tell you what to do to solve your dilemna Trevor, but I can say that I am proud of you for your actions, and one of these days when I get to a Queensland gathering, I'll be proud to shake your hand!

Best regards

Brian
AnswerID: 206308

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:24

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:24
Perhaps the family involved cannot afford to replace the loss and are embarrassed about such a heroic act (which I am sure they would applaud) going underservedly that way

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 466342

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 19:02

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 19:02
I agree Bonz
FollowupID: 466350

Reply By: sahara vx - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 07:56

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 07:56
sorry about phone, but you did the right thing, take the offer of compensation and chalk it up to life,otherwise what you did will become meaningless.
AnswerID: 206316

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 08:29

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 08:29
Trevor,

Not much that I can add, you have received a lot of sensible, sound advice and I believe that you have resolved your personal dillema by now.

Just a thought, given a similar set of circumstances in the future, would you check to see what was in your pockets before acting?? I don't think so.

You have achieved something that has no monetary value, well done.

Michael
AnswerID: 206323

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:40

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:40
Trevor ,

I would go to the next swimming class and when everyone was there , I would get their attention and raise the question " who is going to pay for my new phone ?".
I would ask the parents of the child involved to attend .

I think that the assemblage will decide the appropriate action for you and the various parties will be shamed into action .

Failing that , I think you should threaten the swimming pool manager / instructor with legal action , as it was their inattention or poor management which caused the problem .

There is no way that you should be out of pocket , and you should act positively to make sure that you are not left out of pocket .

If I was the parent involved , I would make sure that you were OK , but they must be ar5eholes .

Well done anyway ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 206345

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:27

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:27
Willie, they may not be able to afford it and could be/would be very embarrassed at not being able to do anything, lets not make judgements in such a manner.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 466343

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:43

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:43
I'm with Bonz here matey...... no need to cause any embarrasement over it.
FollowupID: 466346

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 21:14

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 21:14
I agree fellas,
If I knew they were short of dough I would not embarrass them . I gave my advice knowing nothing about these people .
Willie .
FollowupID: 466376

Reply By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:44

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:44
Good on you Trevor - you did the right thing and a child's life was saved. As a parent that is the most important thing.

Have you thought about talking your phone/PDA back to who you bought it from and explain the situation to them - they may be able to have it serviced or even replace it - it's could be worth a try.

Karl
AnswerID: 206346

Reply By: Steve77 - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:59

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:59
Hi Trevor,

Just a thought, did you purchase your PDA with a credit card? I think with VISA they offer some type of insurance with any purchase made on the card - it is usually in the fine print - one of those things you notice when you first get the card but then forget about. Might be worth checking out.

Your a hero!

Steve..
AnswerID: 206350

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 23:12

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 23:12
Hi Steve,

Paid by B/Card. 14 days later and it would have been purchased with my new Visa and it would have had warranty but no warranty with B/Card :-(((

Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 466407

Reply By: Steve63 - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 12:38

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 12:38
Well done.
The childs life is certainly more valuable thany any piece of hardware. It is all a matter of perspective. You put it right, it was a toy. Treat it as such, disposable. It would be out of date in 12 months anyway or you could have dropped it the next day. Who knows what the future would have been. Let it go, and get on with life. It is too short to spend in court rooms or stressing about posessions. The memory of having saved anothers life will be with you for life. It will be pure gold and irreplacable. Feel good about the fact you put the well being of another individual ahead of an inanimate object. You at least acted, plenty of others would not have. Someone has to be like you or the world would be a sad place indeed. Take a bow, open a beer, the world is a fractionally better place because of your actions.

Steve
AnswerID: 206365

Reply By: LastAussieWorker - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 13:02

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 13:02
I had a situation not dissimilar to yours. I packed up the PDA/Phone with a letter explaining the circumstances to the Telstra phone repair centre to see if the unit was repairable. 14 days later received the phone back all repaired looking and working like new with a touching note on a Telstra compliments slip.
AnswerID: 206370

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 13:12

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 13:12
trevor

You did a great thing. Spared some parents a lot of hurt. If the cost of the loss is bugging you, then you should recover the money. Even if it is so that if this happens again, you don't first check your pockets for valuables, but dive stight in as you did.

I think almost all parents would give you the money if you asked for it. The value of soone life is immense. The value of your childs life is greater then your own.

I'd speak to the pool operator and their insurence company, you also saved them a lot of grief, bad publicity and HUGE costs.

No matter what you decide you should be proud of your efforts.

R.
AnswerID: 206372

Reply By: kev.h - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:59

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 18:59
Hi trev
In 10 years you will remember what you did that day but i bet you wont remember the PDA, you did a great thing be proud of it, who knows what the future holds for that child but without you there was no future
Kev
AnswerID: 206424

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 20:03

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 20:03
G'day Trevor,

Just saw this post for the 1st time and must say, I agree with the sentiments expressed by so many of my forum mates already.

What you did was great; yet (dare I say it), the same thing most people would have done in the same situation.

I'd be asking the question of the pool operators: "I'm glad I was able to save xxxxx's life the other day and I'm sure you must be very relieved too, as I'm sure the consequences for your business would have been dire"........."Were you aware that by doing what I did, I have suffered a significant financial loss?"....... "I don't suppose your business would be willing to reimburse me the $XXXX for my loss, eh?"................"No; I didn't think so....but just thought I'd mention it so that you are aware of my situation........have a nice day"...

Might be worth a try, without needing to get nasty about it (which I know you wouldn't anyway; cos you don't seem like that sort of bloke).

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 206431

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 20:48

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 20:48
I agree with you, Roachie, even if just from the point of view of making them aware of the gravity of the situation.

Trevor, like others have said, find a new swimming school. Kids are going there to learn how not to drown, not to end up drowned.
FollowupID: 466372

Reply By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 21:22

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 21:22
I sit watching my sons learn to swim just about every week, and are very proud of you and your actions. Pity the responsible party (the centre) hasn't done the right thing by you.

However, I agree with Roachie... ask the center nicely, and accept the outcome, I wouldn't be kicking up too much fuss.

As for the parents, have they offered you the money (not that you've actually said it's them... just seems like it is) because of the lost phone or for saving their kid? As mentioned above, do they know about your dead phone. I imagine they thanked you at the time?

cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 206451

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:32

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:32
I would feel VERY uncomfortable accepting ANY money from the parents of the child......... They should not be made to feel as though they need to place a "value" on the life of their child.....end of 'that' story.

The pool people however.........? well, they would have insurance policy etc to cover various losses, but probably not when someone "loses" something in their bloody pool.

The pool people should be doing bloody cart-wheels to try and thank Trevor for saving the reputation of their sorry-@rsed business.......
FollowupID: 466396

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:43

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 22:43
Thanks for all the responses, it is encouraging to feel so many others would do the same as I would if they were the parents of the saved child and replace the PDA then take it up with the swim centre. I will however, not push this opinion upon the parents involved but they are aware of my loss and it is in fact the swim centre offerring cash compensation but not enough to fully replace the PDA.

I figure it is better to accept the offer and don't lose any sleep or make a solicitor any richer than they are. I will do exactly the same again in a similar situation even if it costs me financialy again.

Thanks again for everyone's input and I hope you all give your kids a big hug before their next swim lesson and empty all your pockets before going near a pool, incase you are required to do similar.

Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 206475

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Nov 23, 2006 at 20:43

Thursday, Nov 23, 2006 at 20:43
Trevor, is this a public pool? Is there no worksafe australia requirement to have a lifegaurd on duty?
I'm in the ACT and I have only recently witnessed Worksafe doing a bit of "organising" at my local public pool. Lifeguard on duty while ever the pool is open & the lifeguard is there for that purpose & not to swan around posing in his/her speedos or cleaning etc....The swim school operator & the pool management is at fault here & should be giving you more than a pat on the back, you have saved not only the life of the child you have saved their bacon....
Mercenary as it may sound I'd be giving the pool management notice and asking for full recompense from them...
But you have saved a life, I know the feeling you get from that, having saved the life of an elderly person who had ripped open an artery who was laying in a pool of blood. Actually gives me the willeys thinking about it now & it never ceases to amaze me the things we humans will do to protect the life of another. You have done well!!
AnswerID: 206577

Sponsored Links