Burrup Rock art

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 01:02
ThreadID: 39879 Views:1513 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Footloose

Re: Post 38442

WA to allow heritage listing of rock art
Western Australian Premier Alan Carpenter says his Government will no longer oppose a Commonwealth move to have the Dampier Archipelago, including the Burrup rock art, heritage listed.

Woodside Petroleum today also withdrew its opposition to the listing, in return for a 6.8 square kilometre area being excised from heritage listing so the company can create a gas precinct.

Mr Carpenter says his Government will work with the Commonwealth to establish heritage boundaries.

"Clearly there needs to be some concession given to the industrial area that's already designated, or otherwise we face the very real prospect of things being shut down up there and I don't think anyone wants that," he said.
Site Link

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:00

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:00
Thanks Richard, was wondering how it went.
"Mr Carpenter says his Government will work with the Commonwealth to establish heritage boundaries."......a huh. And no doubt therein lies a fair bit of politics that we don't want to know about.
Personally I'm very pleased that sanity has prevailed.
AnswerID: 207468

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 09:31

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 09:31
Thanks Richard

But do we know where the boundaries will be. Its all very vague. The best rock art could still be detroyed withing the allowed zone!

Cheers
AnswerID: 207487

Reply By: runninGU - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 15:37

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 15:37
I live up here in karratha, and regularly visit the rock art throughout the BURRUP, and the surrounding areas, i also work in the area, and in conjunction with companies that need the space. I do hope that the rock art is protected as for the surrounding areas and tracks and trails, as there is some beautiful scenery and beaches to visit, i do hope it will remain untouched for generations!!
AnswerID: 207558

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 15:46

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 15:46
Damn this state government, this latest backflip by Carps will not allow such prolific expansion of the Brrup and the gas industry, thus it will will have an effect on the value of my property. the more the prices go up, the more of it I own LOL

This is good, I visited that area last year, and was very impressed with the artwork. It would be a shame to lose this.
AnswerID: 207562

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 17:11

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 at 17:11
I am both a great admirer of aboriginal rock art and a Woodside shareholder , but am totally opposed to this development . I thought you made areas World Heritage because you did not want them ruined by this sort of development .

This sounds like a disaster . Create a World Heritage site and remove a 6.8 sq.klm area of that site .

This is political double talk . Nothing seems to have been gained . Woodside have got permission to go ahead with their development on the peninsula , as they wanted to in the first place .

My guess is , the only difference to the previous plan , is that the area Woodside does not screw up , will be a World Heritage Area . It should look nice next to that gas facility .

Willie .
AnswerID: 207581

Sponsored Links