Deep cycle batteries

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 23:15
ThreadID: 4005 Views:3506 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have an AC Delco deep cycle battery....unfortunately, the second in four years. As the battery's guarantee is 2 years I think they are fowling up a little shy of their normal lifespan. They also create alot of white buildup needing a clean once every four weeks. The current one I got fitted in Easter 2001 and even when charged with a charger will only run the Engel for 10 hours on fridge setting. All considerations ie. fridge out of sun, alternator charging properly, any unknown draws, battery fluid levels have been ticked off. At this point I've been scared away from them despite their good reputation and wanted to know if there are better ones out there even if they're more expensive. I currently use an automatic charger to charge the battery as the cruiser only runs about 20 kilometres per week unless going away.
CheersLove the bush.
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:06

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:06
First of all, a question: have you considered that the charger may be faulty? (causing the white powder "sulphating" you describe) Try using the charger once or twice a month for 6-12 hours just to top up the battery. If there is no load connected to it all you need to do is compensate for the self-discharge that the battery. Sounds like you are frying your battery somehow through lack of use and overcharging.

As far as replacement batteries go, three options I can suggest are:

Odysseyhttp://www.odysseybatteries.com.au/odyssey/default.htm
Optimahttp://www.optimabatteries.com/
Delkorhttp://www.delkor.com/product/product_list.asp

I have personally used the Odyssey in other areas and found their characteristics to be well suited to deep cycle work(400-500 cycles to 100%) and capable of rapid recharge with no ill effects (lees than one hour from 0 to 100% charge), with a 5-10 year life, but they are a bit pricey.

Perhaps some of the other forum members could share their experiences with the other two types of batteries
AnswerID: 15948

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 03:08

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 03:08
Sorry Gary, I neglected to mention that I only just bought the charger a few weeks back for the purpose of taking over what the alternator won't be doing. It's one of those Projecta ones at about $80 which turns itself off once the battery is fully charged - prevent overcharging. I can see your point with the lack of use.
When the 1st battery was replaced I dismissed it as a faulty one and never gave it much thought but problem's repeated itself.
I'm wondering if I should disconnect the positive lead off the battery until I actually go away and maybe charge it, as you say, once a month.
I think it's buggered anyway as when it's fully charged the indicator doesn't show any colour. I presume that these batteries (deep cycle) are topped with distilled water because that's what I've been doing once they're low.Love the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 9744

Reply By: Member - Topcat - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:13

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:13
Chris, why don't you try W.A. Solar Supplies (not to be confused with
W.A Solar Sales) in Osborne Park for a good price on deep cycle batteries. In past forums I have mentioned the Magnum batteries I have been using & the reliabilty & long life I have been getting out of them when they are recharged properly much to some controvertial comments from other people on this forum.
So all I can say is go and see for yourself these batteries. The address is Unit 5/83 Hector St. Osborne Park telephone (08) 9244 2668. Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 15949

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:55

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:55
Hey tell WA Solar Supplies where you heard about them, and that they should be in the search engine at ExplorOz for free (or paid of course!).Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 9741

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 03:13

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 03:13
Cheers Topcat,
I'll check them out, they'll probablytalk me into getting a panel as well but I'm sure it'll serve it's purpose up the Kimberleys in July.

A mate reckons mount a panel on the rack and have it charging the batteries all the time. I'm sure they'll give the right advice re this because I like the thought of it.
RegardsLove the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 9745

Reply By: Member - Topcat - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:39

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:39
Chris, I have my solar panels connected to me deep cycle battery all the time & this ensures the battery is fully charged even when not in use. Make sure you get a good quality solar panel charge regular (with pulse charge ability) in the setup. The "Arrid' regulator sold by the 12 Volt shop in Welshpool is a good one for around $75. Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 15963

Reply By: jaycee - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 18:46

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 18:46
The sulphation of your battery is caused by natural discharge while in storage. You need to get one of the "charge and maintain" type chargers, this will ensure your battery is always at full charge. The other next big item that affects the battery's ability to store charge is temperature. Batteries should be stored in a cool dry place as your battery will self discharge twice as fast if stored at 35 deg c than if it sat at 25 deg c. I found this all out the hard way after killing two big deep cycle batteries over 18 months. Unfortunately they did'nt cover warranty the second time around. The manager cited incorrect storage practices as the cause of sulphation but gave me a replacement at cost and a copy of a web site document on battery storage.
AnswerID: 15984

Reply By: OzyTravelingAussie - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 13:34

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 13:34
Chris,
Batteries have to be fully charged when not in use or they sulphate, causing the white powder, maybe the charger could be too small to get enought power into the batteries, on the back of the box it gives a clue as to what size battery they will charge, the big one is 'sposed to be rated @ 10 amp. you can get a trickle charge unit to fit onto your charger from the same manufacturer as your charger, leave it on permantly while Disconected from vehicle and I'm sure you will see a difference.
Charge the battery only while disconected from the vehicle.

I use two 80 amp/hr Delcor batteries ($135 ea) wired in parellel, with assistance from a 80 solar panel while I am camped.... my fridge/freezer runs without hassles at only 1 degree in fridge & -14 in freezer..... it is not an Engel.
AnswerID: 16065

Sponsored Links