ExplorOz Team - David, UHF Installation notes

Submitted: Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:22
ThreadID: 4006 Views:3388 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi David,
I've been reading your notes in Vehicle Setup on installing the GME TX 3400, as i have just bought one at the Caravan and Camping show at Ascott Racecourse.

Where do you get the 'heat shrink' you talk about? and is it realy required?

Did you install it into the accessories fuse of your 80series? or straight to the battery?

Cheers,
Jono.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:51

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 00:51
Jono,

How was the show for you?

Heat shrink is available at shops like Dick Smith & Jaycar. I think you should use it , for me it is required. It is cheap and easy protection for your electrical solder joints. Go and get a mixed bag, this should make a good additon to the parts box, along with a butane soldering iron (can't live without it now).

I installed a 6 way fues box under the bonett, bolted to the threaded bolts that are near the air cleaner. I run lines to the roof console (UHF, Lights etc), GPS, HF Radio, Rear power, Compressor and fridge from this fuse box. The fuse box is mounted directly above my starter relay (David's dual battery system) and has good high power connections for both Aux battery and main battery within 3 inches of the fuse box. From the fuse box to the devices via the correct cable for each device (BTW: The HF is powered via the large 35Amp 240Volt fuse that comes with the radio and not a little spade fuse). This leaves me with a spare? NO is it now used for the twine shower of course.

So to answer your question, direct to the battery via a fuse. Setup your electricals right once and you will not have to worry again. You do not want electirical problems out there.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 15950

Follow Up By: Jono - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 23:39

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 23:39
David,
Thanks for the info, i will get some heat shrink.

I actually wasn't all that impressed by the show as it was more targeted at the caravan type of people, and as that doesn't include me, i wasn't too interested.

I look forward to the 4WD show at MaCallum (spelling?) park which i believe is in November this year.

You guys should look into the costs of having a small stand/stall at the show?? Would be a good opportunity to flogg off some merchandise and get the name out there even more.

Thanks mate,
Jono.
FollowupID: 9795

Reply By: Kev. - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 14:24

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 14:24
Jono , you should never run anything straight to your battery.

Even though the UHF has a fuse on the (+) wire, the wire from that fuse to the battery in not protected and could start a fire if shorted out on the body ect.
Either run that (+) wire off the existing fuse box or place another fuse at the battery.
Also if you want top of the line heat shrink go for the "marine" stuff as it has a resin inside that melts when applied and will provide 100% water proofing . (but will cost alot more)

Kev

AnswerID: 15970

Reply By: Dion - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 15:30

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 15:30
Kev,
I'm a little confused with your suggestion of not wiring direct to the battery because there would be longer lengths of conductors that would be unfused and therefore unprotected.
Going along with what David also said, about using one of those multiblade fuse holders, I think you can end up with as safe, if not safer job than factory wiring. In my situation with my Rodeo, my block of fuses that I added (for fridge, Radios and spotlights) is a mere 11 cm away from the positive post of the battery. I'd like to see a factory application with fuses that close to the positive post to the battery!
Also wiring the radio direct to the battery as opposed to accessories has some positive advantages. Unlikely, but if you were to snap your key in the ignition barrel in the off or lock position, you can't use the radio. If someone attempted to break into your vehicle and damaged the ignition barrel, once again you may not be able to use your radio. Know trying to think of any disadvantages of wiring direct to the battery with some good electrical principles, and I can't think of any.
So Jono, wire your Radio direct to the battery (also can lessen mutual interference), with due regard to some simple electrical principles, fuse the supply as close to the positive post as possible, and you really don't need any more than a 2 amp fuse.

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 15971

Follow Up By: Kev. - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 17:41

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 17:41
What i wrote was in relation to Jonos original question , but yes David did mention installing a seperate fuse box next to the battery which is what i have done.(and prefered use over existing fuse box) And dont forget to use a heaver wire for the supply.

If you read my post again i did say if not running to the existing fuse box you can connect directly to the battery as long as you instal a fuse there.
(mayby not in so many words )

It sounded to me Jono was going to connect to the battery without an extra fuse.
BTW- I choose not to wire the UHF to permanent power as you would have to switch it off every time you left your car.
And most 4wds do have a fuse block next to the battery !

Kev.
FollowupID: 9766

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 16:32

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 16:32
I dont know how people survive without an extra fuse box under the hood... Especially with all the extras 4wders have these days.. serveral Radios, GPS, etc etc

I got from Jaycar a 6 port spade fuse box with 2 screw holes 1 each end.

I run that to my second battery, and then accessories go to the fuse pad/box... Soldered 1 power wire across all the points on one side of the fuse box,and then to the battery, so it has permanent power.

YMMV

AnswerID: 15974

Reply By: Jono - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 23:33

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 23:33
Ok, Thanks guys,

I think i've taken in what you have all said.

i realise that i didn't say this in my origional post, but i am what you would call an electrics virgin!!

I am trying to learn but am cautious of not jumping into the deep end without any floaties, so to speak. As i dont want to stuff anything up with the computer etc I will take little baby steps until i am more confident.

I will definately install a seperate fuse on the radio line, and i will look at getting a second fuse box into the engine bay in the near future.

Thanks all and i will no doubt have further questions in the not to distant future, as although i have had a 4WD for a while now, i am only now starting to get into modifying and i now realise the importance of being able to carry out my own repairs (including electrics)

So thanks again,
and until next time....keep on exploring oz.
Jono.
AnswerID: 16019

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 14:53

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 14:53
Jono, I know this is late, but one bit of advice not offered here so far, is that you should also ground the UHF directly to the battery as well as to the vehicle body chasis. That way you minimise various sources of interference.

I used 4AG (25 amp) oxygen free cable to the battery negative terminal and got cleaner reception. Now all I need to do is discover the best (yet practical) aerial maounting location.

RegardsBe good, or be quick.
Rohan
FollowupID: 11038

Sponsored Links