Simple Dual Battery

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:26
ThreadID: 4058 Views:1785 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to run a simple dual battery setup in a Subaru Forrestor for occasional use for overnight camping.
I would like to connect a 28ah deep cycle battery to my main battery with an isolator switches. I will be running a power outlet from the deep cycle battery for a WACEO 50ltr fridge and when running the fridge I would like to isolate the main battery. The deep cycle will only be running the fridge and be connected to the main battery for recharging only.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:42

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:42
well you already have the idea for simple just run some big wire i run 2x6mm from you alternator to a hand opperated cut of solonoid to your second batt simple as that just remember to cut of when you stopped
AnswerID: 16120

Follow Up By: PV & TL - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:02

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:02
Thanks for your reply. What is a hand operated soloniod? Do you need to use a solonoid and what does it do?

Paul
FollowupID: 10427

Reply By: Alex H - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 16:17

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 16:17
alternatively use an electrical solenoid ($80-100) to isolate the battery when you turn the ignition off. My preference would be to wire the deep cycle where the starting battery is, and then connect the starter battery through the solenoid. With the fridge wired in to the deep cycle (using 6mm cable for preference) once you turn the ignition off the starter battery is completely isolated from everything, ensuring you can start up next morning, and the deep cycle is running all the vehicle electrics - including courtesy lights/headlights which sometimes come in handy in camp.
Cheers,
Alex.
AnswerID: 16266

Follow Up By: PV & TL - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:06

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:06
Thanks for your reply. I'm unsure what a electric solenoid does, please explain. Will I need to use one as I'm only using this system occassionally

Paul
FollowupID: 10428

Follow Up By: Alex H - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 13:00

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 13:00
the electric solenoid does the same as a manual switch, it just does it automatically. The easiest way to think of it is like a big version of the relay that runs your high beam headlights. A small current from your ignition activates the solenoid allowing large currents to flow. This is necessary for the two batteries to both be charged while the engine is running. When you switch the ignition off, the solenoid opens, and isolates your starter battery so it doesn't get drained by the fridge. The main advantage over a manual switch is its automatic - you don't need to remember to turn it on when you start the car, and off when you stop for the night.
Cheers,
Alex.
FollowupID: 10627

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:59

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:59
ok a hand operated solonoid has power going to it from your bat/alt available from repo ect with a knob on it wich you turn to switch the current off so what happens is when your driving you have the power running through the solenoid and when you stop for the night you turn the switch of so if the second battery goes flat it cant draw power from the starter batery.or you could bye a power solonoid i got mine from repco for about $40 when you wire it up there is two main power points where you send power from the alt/main battery in on one side and out the other side you wire it to your seond battery and it has another power point that you have to wire to your ignition so when the ignition is on it opens the solonoid alowing power to go through to the second battery but once the ignition is switched of it shuts the solonoid automaticaly so you wont drain your starter battery hope i was not to confusing. looking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 16838

Sponsored Links