A woofy start to 2007

Submitted: Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 01:52
ThreadID: 40748 Views:2045 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Twas almost midnight in Footloose county. Missus on the way to bed and let the dogs out ..one starts barking, fur up etc. Somethings out there, luckily he can't get to it. He's a born fighter...any excuse...like some people I've known.
Couple of weeks ago a strange pooch appeared at our place on a Sunday night. Missus fed and watered him and the next morning...after my dogs being unsettled all night...called the Council and then the owners who couldnt get him for a few hours. I was just going inside when my dog knocked my legs out and grabbed the intruder by the throat , both of them making a dreadful row. Worst noise was me, yelling and kicking my dog with my bad leg(s). What a horrible noise in the land of normally, silence. What a sight, the three of us rolling down into the creekbed until my dog looked at me and thought "Oh oh". I had visions of the visitors owner being handed the carcass of their beloved pooch until then.
Owner turned up, I glossed over everything as her dog hadn't been damaged. My leg was...its still damaged, but I just smiled sweetly.
So...guess who turns up tonight at almost New Year.
The owner with a bottle and a smile ?
Guess again !!!
This time I hoofed the pooch into the 4wd, and dropped it in its driveway while their party was in full swing. I went down the road and threw a U turn, only to see ....................

the dog marching up the footpath.

So much for the year starting off well . Hope your celebration was better than mine.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 02:13

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 02:13
Maybe you're getting all the crappy stuff out of the way early in '07? LOL
I just got home from work so there was no celebrating but on the other hand Murphy has left me alone in 2007 for the first 2 hrs 12 mins :-)))

Happy New Year
AnswerID: 212657

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:35

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:35
Happy New Year Footie ,
Maybe you should have a chat to him about the danger to his dog from yours , if he continues to let it roam about and get into your place. Then at least your conscience is clear if his dog gets a bit shredded by yours - not that that would be nice - I hate dog fights - that's why I have never owned a male .
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 212677

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:28

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:28
Forgot to mention that all dogs involved are staffies. The visitor is the ugliest dog I've ever seen, huge head and small body but oh so house trained. He happily does exactly what strangers tell him to do (unlike mine), and is only unhappy without a human.
But boy can he jump ! I rekkon he's been taking lessons from Hudini. His home enclosure is 2m tall and he gets out. He's jumped a 2m pool fence.
I was just happy seeing him jump out of the 4wd...from the passengers seat across me and onto his driveway.
Damm things only a poodle sized thing for heavens sake.

Woke up this morning and had to make sure he wasn't here....
AnswerID: 212688

Reply By: Bros 1 - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 11:31

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 11:31
Footloose,
It knows when it's on a good thing.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 212699

Reply By: Twinkles - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 11:31

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 11:31
Needs some electric farm fence around their fence. That stops them jumping over. Had the same priblem with a border collie, tho fence not so high. One strand near top to stop jumping and one near bottom to stop digging out. Worked fine, but didn't allow for someone leaving the gate open. Dog got out and hit on the road.
AnswerID: 212700

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:29

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:29
IT IS THE ABSOLUTELY WRONG THING TO DO.... feed a stray dog!

Sorry for shouting, but this upsets me no end.

My best working dog nicked off one day... bitch on heat up the road.

The people fed him! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN.... AND DAMN!!!!!

So of course.... what would any dog do? Every time he was off the chain.... straight up the road [2k] to the neighbour. Of course they fed him nice, mushy, canned town dog food. Yummy yummy. But DAMN!!!! I wish they hadn't.

For the next year and half it was an ongoing battle to keep the dog at home. If I went inside for a cuppa. No work... off he would go. A half hour later I'd have to get in the cruiser and drive up the road and get him back.

DAMN!!!! I wish people were more thoughtful about feeding stray dogs....

So the day came when I went to fetch him.... and there he was. Dead on the road. Hit by a passing car.

VERY SAD.. specially cos he was the last of a long line of 'Lister' dogs. Mainly white, soft but firm workers. Mate... I wish people would not feed stray dogs.

Speaking to one of the kids of the stray-feeding-household a couple of months later. They told me that their bitch had just had pups. So not so sad. Two of my dogs pups are working on the farm now.... but as I say.... PLEASE DON'T FEED STRAYS... just send them back home with a flea in their ear.. or at least, tie em up and find the owner or phone the pound. Why teach them to visit you???

And then there was the dalmation that kept harrying our sheep. Hadn't killed one yet .. but kept coming....

I did feed him in the end. Called the pound each time. If I didn't feed him... I couldn't catch him. .... In the end, I stopped feeding him. He killed a couple of sheep. He died.

Happy new year.
AnswerID: 212711

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:51

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:51
train your dog and you have no trouble ..
what a nonsense .. a well trained dog does not stray
and will not take food from strangers anyway ..
anything else should be shot .... including the owners ..
have fun
gmd
FollowupID: 472936

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:52

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:52
Royce, I totally agree with you. But I didn't marry the dog or its owner.
Turns out that the owners "lose" the dog for days at a time. Both of them work and so when the humans are gone he goes and finds substitutes. Apparently he's well known for it and another street just accept him around. I don't because of my own dogs.
Its not food or water he craves, its humans.
I'm afraid I put the onus back on the owners. He should be tied up if this is long term behaviour. Sooner or later a car will get him.
I wouldn't allow mine out near a road.
Dogs are domestic pets in suburbia. But they are still animals with, in many cases, no road sense.
FollowupID: 472937

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:59

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 13:59
Ahh the ignorance of some. Trained dogs are nice and look lovely and do what they are told and don't get into trouble and don't do wrong things and won't eat food offered by others and wouldn't hurt a fly and you can trust them and won't get lost and won't stray and pigs fly.

Training has limitations. It's often the 'trained' dog that surprises the owner by killing stock or biting children.... The owners of 'trained dogs' never believe that it was their dog that got into trouble. You cannot trust a dog to be completely 'trained' at any time.

My dogs are trained. But I have lived long enough to know that training is only able to guarantee dog behaviour to a point. If you believe that training will stop a dog wandering or eating from others.... time to go back to your training. :-]]
FollowupID: 472938

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 14:13

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 14:13
If it helps .. I have 4 dogs myself .. my daughter is a vet and you are wrong
there is no limit to training .. the limit is in the brain of the dog and the owner.
Same applies to children .. some people should not have children and some
people should not have dogs ... or at least those dogs should be restrained all the time .. so should some children ..
have a good year
gmd

FollowupID: 472942

Follow Up By: 666toy - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 19:33

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 19:33
How wrong you are gmd.
some dogs cannot be taught
some dogs are just plain stupid
some dogs are really smart
some dogs are natural killers
some dogs are herders
some dogs are protective
some dogs are lazy
You cannot teach a dog something that it does not & will not naturally do. EG a Doberman will not be of any use as a sheep dog.
A poodle will be useless as a police attack dog no matter how much training you put into it.
As for your comments maybe it is you that should have not been allowed to breed
FollowupID: 472975

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 20:24

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 20:24
Well said 666toy.

A daughter who is a vet will explain the same I think.
But the point WAS well made. There are limits. The dog brain and the owner.

So... 'you are wrong' ended up with "you are right".. I love it when someone makes and argument and ends up proving against their own point. He he.
FollowupID: 472980

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 14:02

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 14:02
Yes... what sort of owners don't have the dog chained, penned or at least inside a fence? They don't like their dog very much or are ignorant. Probably the latter.
AnswerID: 212720

Follow Up By: navaraman - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 14:16

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 14:16
My dog is always secure on my property, I see that as my role as a responsible dog owner.
FollowupID: 472943

Reply By: 666toy - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 18:32

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 18:32
.22 subsonic = all problems solved
AnswerID: 212759

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 20:46

Monday, Jan 01, 2007 at 20:46
I love the way an anecdotal post turns into a 'for or against' issue with the extremists having the most to say.

We can now add 'dogs' to the list of subjects which inspire people to claim that their opinion is truth LOL
AnswerID: 212780

Sponsored Links