GU Patrol Diesel Tanks

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:36
ThreadID: 4085 Views:1409 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just purchased a July 2000 GU Patrol 3l Turbo Diesel. I love this car it replaces my NG Pajero.

I have never owned a Diesel before or a car with a reserve tank and wanted to know if it is OK to leave the reserve tank empty for extended periods of time until needed for big trips or should it be filled occasionally.

Might be a stupid question but I was just curious.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Karl - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:46

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:46
I have a 80 Series Landcruiser with a second tank and I was advised to keep this tank at least 1/2 full if not full. It stops the tank rusting and other parts detirating etc. However you then need to run the fuel through this tank occassionaly - I do it every three to four refills to stop the dieso from going off and breeding algea and other bacterior. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 16239

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:46

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:46
Groove,

THe manual says to fill them both to keep the seals etc in working order.

There is also a module which controls the operation of the tanks, every time you start the car the pump transfers some fuel from the aux to the main for a period of ten seconds, it is also to keep the pump and system in working order and to force people to use the fuel in the aux tank as fuel goes off otherwise....

I fill up both my tanks every time I fill up.

Will
AnswerID: 16240

Follow Up By: Kev. - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 15:53

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 15:53
Will , are you sure ?

I dont know about the Patrols but on the Landcruisers the "Petrol"tanks pump from one to the other but the "diesel"dont , they pump direct to the engine for some reason .

Groove,
You should utilise both tanks to reduce the risk of problems ,condensation ,alge ect.
FollowupID: 9970

Follow Up By: duncs - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 17:33

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 17:33
Kev,

Will is right at least according to the owners manual. Also I have noticed that the level in the sub tank will drop over time if you don't fill it every time you fill the main.

Groove if you are worried about carrying the extra fuel why not just fill the sub tank and run from that.

FollowupID: 9978

Reply By: Groove - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:57

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:57
Thanks Guys

Makes sense.
AnswerID: 16245

Follow Up By: andpancho - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 22:17

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 22:17
The auxilary tank does not pump. At each start up and when the 'sub tank button' is pressed, fuel is simply drained by gravity into the main tank.

If the fuel sits for too long there is a risk of bacterial infection.

Conversely if the tank is left empty, corrosion can also become a problem.

I fill the auxillary tank whenever I top up. The day I plan to fill up I always drain the auxillary into the main tank. That way the fuel is always being cycled and replaced with fresh fuel. I tend to do about 1500km per week, so I'm always aware of my fuel levels.
FollowupID: 9999

Follow Up By: Will - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:21

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:21
Dear andpancho,

Get your facts right before giving your opinion...

IF you have any doubts, when the GU Patrol main tank is on half and your sub tank is full remove the main tank filler cap, then start the engine and have a look into the filler neck, you will actually see the fuel being pumped into the main tank.
The system is controlled by a sub tank module and the pump sits in front of the subtank protected by a metal shield.
The module responds to a full tank switch located at the main tank and at a high resistance measure from the sub's fuel indicator, that way, if the main tank is full, the sub tank will not pump, and also if the sub tank is empty the pump will not run.

I also have the factory wiring diagrams and details on this.

Will
FollowupID: 10021

Follow Up By: joc45 - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:54

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:54
Will,
You're right.
Do you have any idea why the aux diesel tank only holds 30L, whereas the aux tank on petrol models holds 36L?
Identical tanks, according to Nissan.
Gerry
FollowupID: 10034

Sponsored Links