Air filters

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 16:15
ThreadID: 4092 Views:1844 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to depart on a 3 month trip and was wondering what I should do about an air filter. I understand regular cleaning is a neccessity but my 100 series has a standard air filter. I have fitted a snorkel also. Should I replace the air filter with something that is easier to clean (foam etc) and if so what type or how do I clean the standard paper one?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev. - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 17:41

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 17:41
Try these sites for info on foam snorkel covers and inserts

http://www.finerfilter.com.au/AMSnorkel.html

http://www.uniflow.com.au/droopie.asp

Kev.
AnswerID: 16271

Reply By: ERIC from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 17:54

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 17:54
DREW I USE THE STANDARD PAPER FILTER ON MY TRUCK AND FIND IT WORKS WELL . ALL I DO TO CLEAN IT IS WHEN AT A SERVO I ASK THE OWNER IF I CAN BLOW OUT THE FILTER WITH HIS AIR GUN , TO DATE NEVER HAD A NO.
AT ONE STAGE I USED A FOAM FILTER THAT HAD TO BE OILED . I WASNT OVERLY HAPPY WITH IT, TO CLEAN IT WAS A BIG MESS AND IN THE BUSH YOU HAVE TO DISPOSE OF CLEANING FLUID.
I ALSO FIND TO CARRY A SPARE PAPER FILTER IS NOT THAT HARD .
ALL THE BEST ERIC

Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 16273

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 18:04

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 18:04
Drew, I have just changed back to paper filter (donaldson) after using a foam filter and can't tell any difference. Given that I have a turbo and reading previous threads convinced me to give paper another go. May rotate between the two but as far as cleaning is concerned, the foam would be a pain to do in the bush. If you plan on doing some dusty country work or convoy, a pre cleaner could be an option. Regards Mark
AnswerID: 16274

Reply By: Member - Peter- Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:34

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:34
you can get a small cheap air gun conect it to a short piece of air hose and a clip to go on to your spear tyre , pump up your tyre to around 70psi and us this to give the paper filter a bit of a blow out were ever you are it should only cost you a few $ . also good for blowing out radiator from the rear if in very seedy country Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 16283

Reply By: Peter - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 20:03

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 20:03
Peter
If you have the genuine toyota filter you can agitate it up and down in a bucket of water, you can probably also hose it out with water. The instructions are on top of the air filter element. genuine filter is not cheap initially but with regular maintenance they only recommend to replace every 80000km from memory.

Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 16285

Follow Up By: Kev. - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 21:59

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 21:59
So it is true , i saw that in the manual and couldnt belive it !

Is the filter not made of paper ?
FollowupID: 9996

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 23:21

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 23:21
I dont know what it is made of but it washes out ok on my 100series and my hilux is the same.
FollowupID: 10003

Reply By: curlewis - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 20:33

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 20:33
Drew, a lot of the replys are suggesting to blow dust out of the filters with air, as a mechanic this is definitely a NO NO. If you blow through the paper then dust will be able to get through the paper also as the air pressure will damage the fibres. A better solution is to tap the filter on a solid surface ie. on a table, on your bullbar etc. until no more loose surface dust comes out of the filter. If you have to blow dust from the filterdo it on the outside blowing along the filter ribs but NOT through them. Have a good trip. Tim
AnswerID: 16288

Follow Up By: ERIC from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 21:11

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 21:11
CURLEWIS I BLOW THE FILTER FROM THE INSIDE BACK TO THE OUTSIDE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN IT SEEMS TO REMOVE A HELL OF A LOT OF DUST. WHEN I FINNISH A TRIP I HEAD STRAGHT TO A STORE TO BUY A NEW FILTER IN YOU OPINION IS THIS OK?
LOOKING FORWARD TO YOU REPLY.
ALL THE BEST ERIC
Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 9989

Follow Up By: colin - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 21:13

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 21:13
Have to agree with curlewis blowing paper filters is a no no unless you are talking about large truck filters which are designed for this sort of maintainence. I have 2 finer filters in my GQ and have just finished a trip through the desert in convoy with unbeleivable dust storms to the point of doing 20ks an hour and not being able to see the bull bar,lucky we all had 2 ways. I also had a pre cleaner on the snorkel and carried 3 pre oiled outer bands for the first filter pre packed by finer filters them selfs exactly for these sort of trips. I didnt have to do any cleaning or have to dispose of any cleaning fluids. When i got home cleaned all filters and repacked ready for next trip. Other vehicles i travelled with didnt have the for sight and had to buy their paper filters on route. Also the foam filters are easier to store and carry with out causing damage. Also foam filters are more efficient till they need oiling , where paper filters becme less efficient as they get more dust in them. Col
FollowupID: 9991

Follow Up By: curlewis - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:13

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:13
Eric, I would,nt use air on any paper or fibre filter if I could help it. As Truckster puts it" Bang it, if that dosen,t clean it throw it"
By knocking the filter on a solid surface it should get the majority of the dirt off the filter. If you know or think you may be in dusty conditions a pre filter is the way to go. TIM
FollowupID: 10018

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 21:26

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 21:26
Tapping a filter on a solid surface has the potential to damage the ends, which could end up being as damaging as blowing out the element, especially in hands of someone untrained. We'll continue to blow them out, >15 years servicing tojo's in W Qld, and we haven't had a dusted engine yet.

If it came to the bash method, I'd do a Truckster, and terf 'em. hooroo...
FollowupID: 10088

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 00:21

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 00:21
I have had 4 Foam Filters GIVEN to me free as the people who know, or should know ;) hate them. Both main and for the precleaner box.

I used it once, no difference in power etc, but I raced bikes for years, and always used foam, never had a problem. But I use Genuine Nissan ones as they arent that expensive... Always have a spare in the car too.

They get dirty bang them clean, then if they dont clean throw them!
AnswerID: 16300

Reply By: curlewis - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:17

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:17
Eric, try this web site for info.
www.baldwinfilter.com when you access the site look for the
service engineering group & see what you can find from them.
Regards Tim.
AnswerID: 16304

Reply By: Kev. - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:22

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:22
Have you guys seen these snorkel foam inserts ?

Im not saing to replace the existing filter but to use this pre-filter before the main filter ! They come in a pack of three so you dont have to clean them out bush.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/droopie.asp

Has anyone used one ?

Kev.
AnswerID: 16316

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 23:25

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 23:25
Roly has a set for his 3.0 GU..

He likes them, others that have them dont.

He used them on the way to the cape, and did ok, others expected more thats all.
FollowupID: 10054

Follow Up By: Kev. - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 17:13

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 17:13
Yeah but he also turned the snorkel head around to stop the dust intake.
FollowupID: 10069

Sponsored Links