More on filters

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:52
ThreadID: 4102 Views:1677 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I get the impression the majority of you have tried and don't like foam filters.

What are your views then on snorkel pre filters?

Should I fit one?

Is a foam pre filter OK if I leave the current paper one fitted?

Do they make paper pre filters?

If I fit a foam pre filter, should I bite the bullet and fit a foam normal filter as well?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wazza - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:18

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:18
Had my turbo deisel 80 series serviced at Berrima Deisel Service last month. I had a K & N foam filter and they said to bin it and put in an original as they perform a lot better in the setup I had, snorkel, turbo deisel, etc. Might be worth your while to call them and find the full reasoning behind binning the foam filter. Can't see the reasons would not be similar on your Disco. He suggests strongly putting a pre filter on as well. I am thinking I might look into the snorkel inserts as suggested by Kev in post 4092. They are only $46.50 for a pack of 3. Says they are serviceable, I guess this means you clean them like a normal foam filter and then oil, etc? Would be good for general use, then go the full blown pre-filter (Donaldson?) for really high dust areas. Again (thanks Kev):

http://www.uniflow.com.au/droopie.asp

http://www.finerfilter.com.au/AMSnorkel.html

Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 16306

Follow Up By: Kev. - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:35

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:35
Hi Wazza,
I emailed uniflow and asked if they have done any tests on these products ,reply as follows -

There is a slight restriction when using a precleaner.
We only recomend you use them when traveling on dusty roads. They come in packs of 3 so you can change them as you go and clean them when you stop. In really dusty conditions you would use 1-2 per day.
On street driving there is no real need for them.
We have found your fuel economy only rises by 1% when in use while filtering 95% of the dust.

Kev.
FollowupID: 10022

Reply By: Rod - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:58

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:58
Used a finer filter foam pre-cleaner sock over the snorkel of my 110 on my trip around Oz. Certainly helped on the dusty sections like cape york and the gibb rv rd. Left it off on the highways.

A lot easier to clean than getting the filter element out. Given the amount of gunk accumulated on the sock, I'm sure it was effective in precleaning.

AnswerID: 16313

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:46

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:46
Yes you can get paper precleaners..

The Sock things, mate uses on his GU 3.0, and he likes them, to me precleaners are just another restriction.

If you check your filter daily on a dusty trip you should have no problems.

You seem to want foam, so go with what you like. What works for me maynot work for you , Kev, Colin, Dave, Fred, Jim etc... ;-)

YMMV.
AnswerID: 16323

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:28

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:28
As we are talking about checking filters on a regular basis(sometimes daily). Don't forget to loosen off the clamp on the rubber hose that goes from the filter box to the inlet. You can then pull the filter box top off and not have to bend the hose. Constant bending leads to cracking which could lead to water getting in. Even if the water (or dust) does not get in, the hose costs a small fortune to replace especially if it is a toyota.
Regards
AnswerID: 16329

Reply By: bruce.h - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 13:26

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 13:26
Gday dolfn
i have to say im all for foam filters was shown a test with the paper filters where you remove the metal caps from the paper of your old filter & you can see where the dust has got through via gaps in the glue that holds the paper on , i have done this on a few of the paper filters &most have at least one spot where there is a gap in the glue which has alowed dust through. but having said that it is not aparent in all of them.to me yes the foam filters do get dirty quickly & are a bit of a pian to clean but i would rather a dirty pain in the ass filter than a dirty pain in the wallet motor
jm2cw
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 16334

Reply By: duncs - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 19:14

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 19:14
I have a good mate who is a diesel mechanic, 25years Cat mostly earthmoving. He reckons that the foam only filters bricks. The OE filter has a specification check that and ask any aftermarket manufacturers what theirs do before you fit them
AnswerID: 16396

Sponsored Links