snorkel vibration

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:56
ThreadID: 4104 Views:10694 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have fitted a safari snorkel to my hilux and now the in-cab noise is heaps louder and at certain revs (~2500) it causes a loud resonating noise, worse when decelerating. Is driving me mad, found a few posts in archives but no real solutions. Has anybody fixed this problem before? Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:15

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:15
Try a thin strip of rubber under the bracket on the door post , also with a hole cut in the panel you may have to add some stick on dampener on the in side , the same type used for sound proofing under bonets .this will help to dampen panel movement,where snokel goes through the panel make sure it is a tight fit you may have to add a strip of rubber around snokel or try silicon .Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 16320

Reply By: Time - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 13:49

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 13:49
Bud,

Have exactly the same problem with my 3 l non turbo Diesel Hilux, and 2500 rpm seems to be just the happy engine speed for crawling through the bush.

I assume that the snorkle has been fitted properly, including making sure there are "thick" spacers on the end of the air intake where it exits inside the engine bay into the inner guard (this will help make sure the snorkle itself isn't vibrating againt the body work). I have also heard about "Boom" boxes that are supposed to absorb the sound, haven't seen one or heard if they work.

Here are some other things that I have done. First, tighten everything from the grille back (including the grille - here I have even resorted to cable ties to make sure the grille doesn't rattle/vibrate). The front parking lights have also been a source of noise/vibration and have been "padded" with sponge. Finally, a good stereo system cranked up blast.

Still get the vibes, but not nearly as bad as when the snorkle was first installed. Pity no one warns you about this common problem BEFORE you purchase. Maybe Mr Safari could do a bit of R & D and provide a solution!!

Cheers

Buggerlux

PS There have been some posts on this subject in the past, try the archive.
AnswerID: 16337

Reply By: CJ - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 15:05

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 15:05
Bud

Had exacltly the same problem.

In my case I identified the problem to be the harmonics of the air passing through the snorkel, effectivly creating a "vibrating beat box" when a certain amount of air rush through. This will happen on different rpm's based on the size of the "beat box", mine happens at 2100 rpm. When I extend the snorkel using a hose I found the vibrations at differing rpm's (much like a trombone!)

My snorkel has a metal "washer" on the intake, to restrict the airflow a bit. First I thought it had to to with restricting rainwater from entering, but when I removed the washer, the vibration doubled.

I then put another restriction inside the snorkel (old cloth hanging down), and the vibration dissapeared completely (i think because the beat box principle no longer applies.)

Obviously I do not want the airflow to be restricted, and conclude that a hiclone fitted near the intake will swirl the air enough to not create the harmonics. At $160 however I discounted that idea. I am now going to make my own device similar to but far more simple than a hiclone, by epoxy gluing some fins to the washer whch will hang down the snorkel.

I will be able to let you know next week if I was successful. If there are anyone out there who has tried this, please let me know.

Regards
CJ
AnswerID: 16341

Follow Up By: Bud - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 15:22

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 15:22
Cj

Would love to hear how you get on.

Cheers
Bud
FollowupID: 10043

Reply By: Rosco - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 23:49

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 23:49
Bud,
Check the archive back about 2 years ago. I posted the same Q. End result was that when the snorkel was fitted, (not by me) the holes in the mudguard may not have been in the correct position (not drawn from template). Suspect the holes had been filed out so it fitted. End result was that the body of the snorkel was against the mudguard and with temperature change, would resonate. Nearly drove me nuts for months. The only way I could see to fix it was place a washer or two the same size as the securing bolt, a bit of selastic to hold the washer centred. This ensured that there was a space between snorkel and the mudguard. Worked a treat and has not vibrated since. Also stopped the buiuld up od sand etc in the space. Even threatened to throw the snorkel away and get the holes plugged.
Give it a try. Takes a bit of fiddling to see the problem but well worth it

Rosco
AnswerID: 16366

Reply By: Janset - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:51

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:51
Hi guys.

This just maybe your answer!

Just after I had my Safari snorkel fitted by ARB, the first thing that I noticed was that the noise coming from the snorkel intake was unacceptably load and varied considerably with the engine revs.

I thought that was it and nothing could be done about it.

Then by shear accident when servicing my oil soaked air cleaner element I noticed that all the dirt had gathered directly in front of the air intake coming from the snorkel, while the rest of the air-cleaner was quite clean.

Bare with me here :-)

I reasoned that if I were to construct a part wrap around baffle that followed the curvature of the air cleaner element directly in from of the intake pipe I could deflect the incoming dust around the air cleaner and thus distribute the dirt loading on the element.

I got a piece of tin about 8 inches long and high enough to go from about 1 inch below the intake pipe to the top of the element, plus the distance from the element to almost the air-cleaner metal circumference. The distance between the element and the metal air-cleaner housing I measured and bent at right angle the full length of the 8 inches.

We now have a piece of tin angle 8 inches long. To make it able to wrap the tin baffle around the element I cut a number of cuts about 1/2 inch apart and then bent the 8 inch tin to the shape of the element.

When looking down at it now the cut bits of tin looked like fan blades.

I then placed the baffle against the element and measured the distance between the baffle and the air-cleaner housing, cut a couple of tin straps and pop riveted one end to the baffle and the other end to the housing on either end of the 8 inch curved baffle.

The system worked perfectly.

NOW HERE IS THE CLINCHER!

An unexpected benefit I got was that the noise coming from the snorkel intake dropped by at lease 50% !!!!

Well within acceptable limits.

And there you have it, give it a go you have nothing to lose but about 1 hours work.

I should have patented this :-)

Regards

AnswerID: 16372

Reply By: Time - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:07

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:07
Guys,

Went home on Friday and fitted a piece of thin rubber padding between the snorkle pillar mount and the A pillar. Went out in the bush on Saturday and no more vibes/resonance at 2500 rpm! Still get some induction noise, but it is now heaps better than it was.

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 16468

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:27

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:27
I had a very bad vibration in my Jackaroos Airtec snorkel at around 2100rpm so i contacted Airtec about it and they sent me a replacement one but it still vibrated badly.I contacted them again and discussed it with them and we came to the conclusion(perhaps they already new about the problem)that the plastic that the snorkel and the intermediate tube was made from, had either gone soft or it was not thick enough so another one was sent to me.This time the plastic was twice as thick as the original.I have no problems at all with vibration now so maybe if you talk to Safari they might be able to rectify your problem.
AnswerID: 16496

Sponsored Links