PolyAir Springs

Submitted: Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 411 Views:6747 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone had experience or heard about Polyair Springs and what they are like to use, durability, etc? I have a 97 Jackaroo that has coil springs on the rear.
Thanks in advance.
"May the road rise up to meet you"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
Fitted a pair to the back of L/C 80 series, as I go outback for a month each year, and spend the rest of the time in city! I chose them as I have a problem that the car won't fit through garage door if i raised it over 1/2 inch! so any other springe etc would mean the obviuos. They are the best things I have bought and I was a bit anxious at begining....Hold there pressures perfectly and no bottoming of suspension as before--original springs and shocks at 165k Carrying over 1/2 ton gear on board and no worries.... can definitely recommend them
steve
AnswerID: 1039

Reply By: Ray Kearney - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Grant,

One of the better additions to my GQ Patrol, I've lifted it by 50mm plus the Polyair's. They have been on my vehicle for about 8 years now and haven't caused one bit of trouble. I have toured some pretty remote places heavily loaded with other club members and my vehicle has been the only one not dragging it's behind only due to the polyair's. A mate fitted them to his leaf sprung Hilux with much poorer results maybe they are better for coils.
AnswerID: 1040

Reply By: Colin - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2001 at 00:00
Grant,

I am a member of the NSW Jackaroo Club. Several memebers have fittred the polyairs and they all highly recommend them if you are intending on carrying or towing heavy loads. The technical guru at the clubs has given a lot of advice to people about them. The main point I got was to use them to assist in maintaining ride height under load, not to use them to increase ride height. That way they are long lasting and durable, and well worth the investment. Look up the Jackaroo website: www.geocities.com/jackaroo4wdclub/
AnswerID: 1053

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2001 at 00:00

Have had them fitted to 2 vehicles over period of 8 years & some 240000 kms, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM as mentioned use them to level vehicle compensating for load, not just to raising height of vehicle.

We load car up (often to the hilt), level it with around 18 to 24 psi works like a charm, when we hook caravan on we then use weight distribution hitch to level car & van again.
1st set was on 84 Statesman 2nd set is on Berlina, and 3rd set is about to go on Pathfinder.

cya down the track....
AnswerID: 1056

Reply By: Grant - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2001 at 00:00

Thanks for that Steve,Ray,Colin and Graham. Sure you guys don't work for Polyair ;~). It's good to hear postives about a product you're considering purchasing. They sound reliable, easy to use and simple. Thats all you really need, though cheap would help.
Thanks again.
Grant
"not all who wander are lost"
AnswerID: 1060

Reply By: Col - Thursday, Sep 13, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 13, 2001 at 00:00
Grant,

Just tell the team at Polyair where to send the commission.
AnswerID: 1074

Reply By: Steve W Alice Springs - Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00
Grant, I have Polyair bags on my range rover and they are excellent. You get normal handling etc because the vehicle is kept level when fully loaded. One thing to watch as per the instructions is that it is better to increase the air from the minimum recomended to a higher pressure before loading the vehicle and then reduce the pressure to where you need it to be. Doing this stops you trying to use the airbags as jacks to lift a fully loaded vehicle. I think polyair have a webiste you can have a look at to.Happy motoring.
AnswerID: 1078

Reply By: Bradley Praed - Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00
I have had a set for a number of years now. They were first fitted to a GQ Patrol and a couple of years back I upgaded to a new GU Patrol and swapped the bags over.In the time that I have had them the only problems I have had or know others that have had problems is that the air hoses had perished and formed pinholes along them, the clamps that were supplied to seal the hoses didn't seem to clamp tightly enough so they had a slight leak, and on a trip recently the valves came loose(which I found when checking the pressure after some 150km of corrigations), which led to one bag being pinched between the spring. Other than that I think they have been good value for money and would also recommend them as so many others have.
AnswerID: 1092

Reply By: Greg - Thursday, Sep 20, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 20, 2001 at 00:00
Grant I have had them on my Pajero for 3 years and they are certainly good to bring the vehicle back to original height when heavily loaded. Mine have been in some pretty rough conditions with heavy loads. I have had 2 blowouts and the back behaves as though you are riding on air - many say the shocks are had it but even with new shocks it still does it.
AnswerID: 1106

Reply By: Jeff Harwood - Sunday, Oct 07, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 07, 2001 at 00:00
I asked myself a similar question about 3 mth ago. Took the leap and had a set put on the back of a 96' Disco. I travel from Perth to Steep Point every two months for a week of fishing, towing a custom built trailer (about 1450kg loaded. I have had upgraded Old Man Emu suspension kits, lifters and nothing has been able to stop the bottoming out on the tracks to Useless loop. I fitted the Polyair Springs and when loaded keep at 28-30psi, they are fantastic..When the Disco is empty and 'round town keep them at 12psi for a good ride, no problems on cornering and feel more incontrol under heavy braking. Only thing i have changed is the way the supplier ran the valve leads to were i can access easier. See you on the track...
AnswerID: 1183

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:00
Grant, if you haven't already fitted them, have a look at a product called "No Bull Suspension Supports". I have just fitted them to my 99 Jackaroo and the change in the handling is spectacular. They do the job of an overload spring but also have dramatically reduced the amount of body roll, both loaded and empty. The bonus is, there is no need to to adjust them and they won't puncture. They are also lots cheaper and I fitted them myself in about an hour. To get more info, ring, Kym Crowhurst, (08) 8582 2441, or Heaslip camper trailers. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1302

Sponsored Links