Nissan Patrol

Submitted: Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 21:42
ThreadID: 41159 Views:3916 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, not bagging nissan in any way and dont want to start a war about the patrol but thought I would post this on here incase anybody else with a patrol is having the same issue and might help them out with a problem and/or safety issue. Regards Steve M
SUBJECT: NISSAN PATROL 3.0 TURBO - Major safety issue
"I own a nissan patrol 3.0 litre turbo intercooler that has done 51,000kms now and is about to have a 3rd serpeco drive belt fitted to the car because it has a high pitch squealing noise and the belt cuts out. The car ran out of power and ran off the road with the engine shut down and a flat battery. I have since found out that the car alternator has a plug that can if fitted tight when made will intermittently stop charging the battery and the motor will shut down under lack of power to run the computer for the motor. The dealer knew straight away what to look for as he had fixed the problem in other patrols but Nissan did not put a warning out to let people know under their duty of care. I also have found out that there are confidential memos sent within the dealer ships regards faults that fits my trouble stated as can happen and the later models have been rectified. They describe the problem and the parts to fix it and state that they will rectify it if it happens within the warranty but do not let the owners know.

This is now going to cost me over $1400.00 to repair because my car is now out of warranty but I had the 2nd belt changed at 37,000km and I was not informed at that stage nor did they rectify the damage which is a new main crank pulley, complete water pump assembly plus a new hydraulic belt tensioning pulley. I was wondering if anyone out there could help me on this as they are saying that they Nissan Australia and the dealer Mandurah nissan in W.A are not responsible for what has happened about when my wife nearly had an accident by being forced of the road by an engine malfunction and failure that they had a safety confidential bulletin on the fault and they had serviced my car at 37,000km and again at 40,000km and said nothing and now they are telling me I have to pay for their failure to disclose the safety news that would have prevented this. I have the dates and number of the confidential nissan release and will take it to the press if I can get support on this matter." I Johnson

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: philldeb - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 21:51

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 21:51
go for it
AnswerID: 215002

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 21:55

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 21:55
Shouldn’t a warning light and or sound illuminate on the dash to indicate the alternator has stoped charging/-generating power.

How can the serpentine belt failing bugger the water pump and main crank pulley? I don’t understand that.

AnswerID: 215004

Follow Up By: Angler - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:16

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:16
Don't know about sound however a warning light does come on if no charging is taking place.
Never had a belt failure so cannot comment on the belt bit.

Pooley.
FollowupID: 475305

Reply By: gompy - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:36

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:36
It is not normal for an serpentine belt to fail at 37kms and again later on, (I am still on the original belt at 98k's!) it was probably caused by a failing belt tensioner, which is a known problem! They should have picked this up at the 37k service.
The alternator plug is a different problem however and I see no reason what caused the damaged water pump.
Why don't you get a second opinion.
AnswerID: 215018

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:41

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:41
Just to let people know THIS IS NOT my vehicle but from a web site of compaints about there vehicle. Just put on here to let any one with a patrol know to help them out if they have the same problems. This is not my vehicle. Regards steve M
AnswerID: 215020

Follow Up By: Muzzgit [WA] - Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 02:25

Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 02:25
Why wouldn't it be covered under warranty? The vehicle has done very low klm!
FollowupID: 475339

Reply By: Bilbo - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:53

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:53
I don't have an opinion on most of this except to say, if the alternator wasn't charging, there should have been a warning light that came on long before the battery went flat. Assuming that actually happened, why did it continue to be driven until the battery went flat?

The serpentine belt issue and the crankshaft pulley - I had this problem with a grooved belt on a Suzuki Swift. It cost me a heap of dough and hair tearing trying to find this infernal screeching noise. New water pump, new alternator brushes, 2 new belts, a can of "Belt Grip" 'n so on 'n so on,,,,

I tracked it down eventually. It was a slightly worn crankshaft pulley. The pulley was worn JUST ENOUGH to allow the grooves in the belt to bottom out in the grooves in the pulley. This would cause it to slip no matter how much you tightened the serpentine belt. This slippage was causing the screeching - and it was embarrassingly LOUD!

Now, to replace the pulley was expensive and it's an engine out job as it's a transverse engine. I wasn't about to take the motor out - so a solution was needed.

I removed the drive belt, started the car, got underneath with a good quality file and ran the file against the pulley grooves. This produced a noticeable burr or roughness on the peaks of the pulley and thus the belt gripped again, Problem solved and it did another 60,000 kms with no screeching until I sold it. An the new owner hasn't had a problem with it either!

But that little Suzuki had done about 150,000 kms when the noise started. This Nissan Patrol mentioned above had done next to nothing. Plus, I can't see how the "tight fitting" electrical (?) plug can cause a belt to wear out. It's all a bit confused I'd say. I'd also say the dealer and Nissan have a case to answer but so does the driver of the Nissan.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 215023

Reply By: Member - Axle - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 23:04

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 23:04
The belt cuts out???, It goes round & round with everything else, Something got to sieze to have a belt failure. Sounds like everything the belt runs on was replaced to cover their a..se, then have charged the unaware owner.
AnswerID: 215025

Reply By: Member - Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 23:09

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 23:09
For one this all sounds a little fishy to me and think there is much more to this story than what is given.....Not calling this person a liar and nothing of the sort but many stories have limited element of the truth until both stories are heard....Just doesn't sound right to me? Though I have been known to be wrong many times......
AnswerID: 215028

Follow Up By: Off-track - Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 00:03

Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 00:03
Yep, I'm with you on this one.
FollowupID: 475329

Reply By: Old Johno [NSW] - Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:57

Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:57
Stephen,
Go to fair trading with your complaint, you will be surprised at the results.
I had problems with the early model that blew up motors, Nissan where very reluctant to do anything but as soon as fair trading got involved it was amazing to see the change of attitude
AnswerID: 215063

Follow Up By: Member - Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 09:15

Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 09:15
Old Johno,

Mate,

It's not his vehicle, he just got this of a complaint site and posted it to inform others....This is what Stephen wrote;

"Just to let people know THIS IS NOT my vehicle but from a web site of complaints about there vehicle. Just put on here to let any one with a patrol know to help them out if they have the same problems. This is not my vehicle." Regards steve M
FollowupID: 475353

Reply By: Wayne-o - Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 23:13

Saturday, Jan 13, 2007 at 23:13
I problems like this!!!!!! all my mates have tojo 100 ser TD, Paj, 3.0 patrol....and they all F__K up! even my bro's rangie Vogue.....yes its 06, and yes it cost over 180k.....we all bought our truck within18 months of each other and all have similar km's, and the only on that hasn't been back to the dealer ever it mine....why? not cause its a nissan, not cause the others are crap cause they're other makes.....cause of the on board PC's!! not it the 4.2.... but this doesnt help you.....but best of luck pal!
the Wayne-o
AnswerID: 215176

Sponsored Links