National Parks

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 13:43
ThreadID: 4120 Views:1687 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
We have just bought an 89 Pajero Auto. Although we are experienced campers with two hids 3 + 6 we have not been able to enjoy camping in our national parks till now!
I guess initially there are two things I wold like to know. The Paj is fitted with Hancook Z36 205R16C MS tyres with about 30%tread. Are they reasonable performers on the WA gravel and also beaches? Also what would you say is essential recovery/repair gear to take into a national park. We intend to go to parks which have a ranger in attendance.

Cheers.

PS I'm looking around at $WD clubs or traing courses being offered locally too.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 16:51

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 16:51
Scottie
the west australian 4wd association has a very good course which covers everything you need to get you started & will teach you what your vehicle is able to do they do a couple rate which enables you to both learn togther.the course is 1 1/2 days long 7 consists of a thery setion & a practical setion each driver has an advisor with them at all times &all obsticles are under controled secomstances so you are not left to tackle anything on your own i can recommend this course with the utmost of confidence that you will come away with a very good bases for the future .as to your vehicles abilty i see no reason why you will not be able to enjoy all the national parks that wish as to the tyres if they they are round, have tread & hold air they will do, you will learn which tyres work best as you go along so dont rush out & spend a fortune on accessories straight away a long handle shovell & a tyre pump & gauge are a good starting point. recovery point s on your vehicle are esential
all these subjects are covered in the 4wd ass. course there are aruond about 25- 30 4wd clubs in perth so take your time & find one that fits you best dont be put off if you go to a club & dont fit in clubs tend to get personalities just like people so hunt round till you find one that suits you, if you wish any more help just let me know as i live in perth & am always happy to help out Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 16386

Follow Up By: chopper - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 16:59

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 16:59
add a snatch strap and perhaps shackles (all good quality, rated of course), No use having recovery points if you ain't got nothing to attach to them, it's fine to rely, to some extent. on the good will of others, but you should at least offer to use your own equipment.
FollowupID: 10068

Follow Up By: GaryInOz - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 17:26

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 17:26
Sometimes I think that the "shift-four" version of 4WD is a more accurate assesment of our involvement!!!
FollowupID: 10071

Follow Up By: Ray M (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 20:22

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 20:22
Must be a bit thick tonight. What the hell is "shift-four" GaryHooroo
FollowupID: 10078

Follow Up By: chopper - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 20:26

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 20:26
geez i'm glad you asked Ray,

chopper
FollowupID: 10080

Follow Up By: GaryInOz - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 23:55

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 23:55
It's what happens when you hold the shift key down and press the "4" key at the top of the keyboard (have a look at the last line of "Scottie"'s original post)
FollowupID: 10097

Reply By: Member - Peter- Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 19:19

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 19:19
Our 4x4 group runs regular trips ,at least once a month most are rated easy we welcome anyone to tag a long to get the feel of off road , and in a group you are well covered until you feel OK to go it alone .We are based in York (Avon Valley ) we have no membership fees or trip fees (no body wanted to do the paperwork )We also have a BBQ once a month which you are welcome to come along to.come and talk to otherS on the set up of there 4WD and what they carry .Please feel free to Email me phewitson@westnet.com.au Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 16397

Follow Up By: chopper - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 20:31

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 20:31
How do you guys go with the concept of insurance.

I used to be a part of a social group of folks who went four wheelin'. We'd discussed the concept of people (or their insurers or smart ____ lawyers) suing another group member for some sort of damage and all said "I wouldn't do that".

Little later a marriage broke up within the group and they went for each others throats.

So, now I'm in an affiliated club, $25 year, and all club members and vistors have an insurance cover on everytrip.

scary stuff this...
FollowupID: 10081

Reply By: Member - Peter- Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 21:59

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 21:59
Chopper re insurance . AS we operate as a group of mates going in the same direction at the same time with no formal leader there is no one to take to court .Our meetings are BBQ at a local park were we just sit around and talk , no notes or minutes , just like a bunch of friends . We all have a choice to take a group of like minded people on an outing .As we act as adults and follow all the rules of the bush ie taking our rubbish home and tread lightly we have had no ploblems ,if someone is totally out of order they just dont get an invite ,so far this has never happened .Wish more people would just follow the rules in the bush and it would be a much better place for us all out there Peter York 4x4 (this is how it happens for us maybe because we live in a small country town )
AnswerID: 16409

Follow Up By: chopper - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 09:25

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 09:25
Peter glad that it works for you

We were exactley the same for quite a while, once again, country town (city).

enjoy the bush
FollowupID: 10102

Reply By: bruce.h - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:49

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:49
peter
i have to agre with chopper scary stuff. the lack of minutes & any designated leader will not save you from litigation in fact just the opposite it will have the lawers rubbing their hands together with glee,ihave covered this isue extensivly with the 4wd association & can tell you that if you have a problem within the group which couases damage or injury all members or people involved can be held liable regardless of the cliam to be just agruop of friends heading in the same direction our investigations into the insurance isue found that not only are records aconstitution esentail but not only do you need public libilty cover you also need directors & officers cover as well with out these covers you leave your self & others open to law suits that can see you loose everything that you have,you say that you meet monthly for a bbq if these get togethers any way discuss future trips on a regular basse a good lawer will tie it into being an organised group,regardsless of how you deem your self idont want to put you off what you are doing but i would be inclined to seek some legal advise now before youare forced to by aproblem
Regards bruce
AnswerID: 16439

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 15:51

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 15:51
Thanks for the info will look into it seriously Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 10122

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:10

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:10
Have spoken to our solicitor about the concerns that you raise in your post,, He is adamant that in the sort of "informal" club/group Peter York 4x4 is a " member " any one would be hard pressed to take legal action against the group/club except as a "1 on 1 " personal suit...
The reason I asked is as we are "members" of an informal fishing club/group {the smelly finger fishing club} who number around 50 ,,a full "meeting" only happens once per year at inskip point ,1st fullmoon in sept; No "club" fees,dues,women,kids,,,,Lots of whiting,beer,poker..
Who would you want to sue.
FollowupID: 10152

Reply By: Member - Peter- Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:27

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:27
To the Publican , I am waiting on a reply from WA 4wd assotiation re this problem will keep you posted on info ,Peter born to fish forced to work .York 4x4

tight lines for ever .........Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
AnswerID: 16493

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:38

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:38
peter who have you contacted at the association
best person to talk to would be denice bremner (insurance officer )
or Greg bremner chairman
let me know if you have any hassles imight be able to help out
Regards bruce
FollowupID: 10159

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:45

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:45
bruce I emailed Denice Bremner last night (insurance officer ) waiting on a reply Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 10160

Reply By: Scottie - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:53

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:53
Sorry about the delay in posting this reply. The storms two weeks back killed our phone line and it took a week for Telstra to fix it. Then we discovered the computer was fried too, so more delays.
Thanks to everyone for replying. The car does have recovery points.

I will get a snatch strap and shackles as well as the pump and gauge too.
Cheers
AnswerID: 17611

Sponsored Links