New Prado Turbo Diesel - OLD engine!!

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 06:33
ThreadID: 4131 Views:4649 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Chaps,
I've recently sent a few ramblings to this forum, and now I have one more. I'm almost certainly about to get a new Prado turbo diesel(manual), but I am a bit bleep off that it comes with the old engine(1KZ-TE). It appears that in most other parts of the world, including the UK, the Prado has a 120kW, 343Nm common rail turbo diesel(D4D). It appears that a lot of other countries round the world have had access to this engine for a couple of years - but not us. This MAY be something to do with our lower quality diesel, but I believe this has improved lately, to the point whereby BMW are now willing to bring in their turbo diesel X5.

If anyone has any information on whether Toyota Australia intend to give us this engine one day, please let me know. I'd be pretty unhappy if they decide to put in the new engine 1 year after I'd bought a new Prado TD. This is probably quite unlikely, and I suspect that we will not ge the new engine until a major revamp of the model(4-5 years?).

Opinions welcome.

Regards,

Stuart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: herkman - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 08:49

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 08:49
My understanding, is that Toyota Australia wanted the common rail engine, but Japan on the last run of tests (last year) did not like the sulpher in our fuel.

Again my understanding, is that this year, Toyota will test the fuel again, and if the sulpher is low enough, then the CRD engine will come.

I do not know if you can wait. The Prados that are in the country now, were built in November last year, and my spy states that Toyota, who are targeting the CRD Grande Cherokee, and the ML270 sales, are really cheesed off that they got the old tech engine.

My advise is to wait if you can, because if nothing else, the current prado will suffer the same resale values, as the NM Pajeros that came into the country, early in their release, with the old coal burner engines.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 16429

Follow Up By: Member - diamond - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 10:27

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 10:27
i think you might be right about waiting 6-8 mths even then if they dont bring out the new diesel and they do suffer bad resale value you might pick up a cheap 6mth old old diesel prado.looking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10106

Follow Up By: Stuart W - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 20:09

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 20:09
Col,
Thanks for the info. Regarding levels of sulphur in Australian diesel, Federal leglislation required that "Low Sulpur Diesel"(500ppm), which is the Euro II standard, would replace regular diesel by 31st Dec, 2002. "Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel"(50ppm) will be mandatory by 2006. So I daresay that Toyota did their test prior to introduction of Low Sulphur Diesel. Thus, when they get around to testing this year, I presume it will pass with flying colours.

Soooo..., the million dollar question is:

Once the new engines "pass the test", when will
they start appearing in the new Prado?

Also, of course, will there be a price premium? I suspect there will be, just like the previous model. I also suspect that the ONLY reason why the current petrol and diesel versions cost the same is that they KNOW that the diesel engine will get replaced in the not-too-distant future!!

I'd like to think that they will put on a suitable premium such that people who've bought the previous model(me?) will not be TOO bleep off.

This does put me in a major dilemna... I've actually put down a deposit, but I'm sure I can simply defer the purchase for a while(and how long will THAT be??)

With this new information, I think I'll ring Toyota and ask them directly. I am of course sure that they'll provide a politically correct reply with no actual answer, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Wish me luck - I'll post any results I get.

Regards,

Stuart
FollowupID: 10128

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:55

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:55
Stu

You can play the wait and "WHAT IF" game for 2 days - 20 years.. If its not out now, chances are they wont bring it out until next model in ~12-24 months. It would make the current model useless to them. After all who would buy current new over this possible new mod?

You can go out and buy your car now, and enjoy it, or sit at home and do nothing.

Its the same game people played with the "NEW" GU.. Everyone waited dreaming of new mods, direct inj, 4.8 diesel etc etc.. but it never happened.. the interior got cheaper and nastier, still has the trusty old TD42, but an IC on it, woohoo Zzzzzzzzzzzzz..... 30 more newtons. BIG DEAL... Nissan really lost people and fans on that one.

Anyway if it was me, I would either buy a second hand one now, and then in 2 yrs *IF* the new one comes out you have had the fun of the second hand one now, and trade up to the one you want in the end. Or if your that unhappy with the current new model, look at other cars.

YMMV
AnswerID: 16476

Follow Up By: Stuart W - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:04

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:04
Yes, you're right about the "old waiting game"... Besides, no one in Toyota is going to tell the truth anyway(I called them to get the story - yeah right; as if...). I have actually already decided to bite the bullet anyway and buy the beast.

I just wish the new one "looked" a bit less namby-pamby, and those 65-series Dunlop AT20's on 17" rims are bloody useless offroad. I'll have no choice but to try and get a set of 16" Landcruiser rims and try to ensure I can get the same diameter tyres.

Regards,

Stuart
FollowupID: 10154

Reply By: Phil G - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 20:38

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 20:38
If I were buying diesel, I'd get the superceded 90 series.

If I wanted a sports car, I'd buy the new Petrol Prado.

The 1KZ-TE is a sweet motor which has been around for 10 years, so its well sorted.
AnswerID: 16528

Sponsored Links