Evakool Dual Temp Fridge/Freezer Range

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 16:02
ThreadID: 4144 Views:5410 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Has anyone tried the Dual Temp Fridge/Freezers that Evakool have in their range? Specifically, I am looking for feedback from folks who own and have used their ED70DT OR ED90DT models. Are they robust, and do they really refrigerate AND freeze like you would expect them to?

Cheers.

Sloth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 19:51

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 19:51
See Message 4146 for feedback on the DT60
AnswerID: 16522

Follow Up By: sloth - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 20:31

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 20:31
Cheers Rod.
FollowupID: 10180

Reply By: Scott - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:29

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:29
Sloth all dual fridge/freezers are a comprimise. The Evakool is the best of a the bunch, but you will need to use an indoor/outdoor thermometer from Dick Smith or Tandy. You need to put the outdoor sensor in the fridge part to ensure the fridge is at the required 4c to 6c. Personally I prefer an all fridge or freezer. We have enough fridges to run two as freezers and three as fridges. One fridge is taken up with beer and other mixes for drinks for passengers.
You have to ask yourself do you really need a freezer. I would suggest no, you need to learn how to buy and cater. I am interested to hear why you think you need a freezer/fridge instead of all fridge. I am leaving again on Thursday morning for a week so if you post back before then I will reply.
AnswerID: 16539

Follow Up By: colin - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 19:51

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 19:51
Hey Scott have to disagree not all fridge freezers are a compromise, i have an explorer which has a freezer compartment separate from the fridge, both compartments have their own adjustable thermostat with the freezer having priority over the fridge, also the fridge con be run as a freezer. I can run this unit of one battery for three days in the tropics and start a 6 cyld diesal of the same battery. This fridge was matched against a waeco and 3 chescold fridges on a month long desert trip and the explorer won hands down. The freezer unit holds enough frozen meat for 3 people for a month having 2 meals a day out of it. My unit is a 60 ltr and i can open the lid in the back of a patrol wagon. Its only downfall if u can call it that is it can be heavy when full.Col
FollowupID: 10260

Reply By: sloth - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:38

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:38
Cheers Scott for your comments. If you know of another way to keep meat fresh for four weeks then i am listening?!!

We regularly spend four weeks at a time "getting away from it all". During this time we do not travel back to town, and instead enjoy the fruits of the bush. The fridge/freezer seems to be the obvious solution for us. It really only needs to keep meat frozen, chill 2 beers per day (and maybe a bottle of champers if the missus gets frisky), and a couple of condiments.
AnswerID: 16564

Follow Up By: Scott - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:23

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:23
Scott your local Safeway or Woolworths supermarket will Cryovac meat for you. If you live in a city then they may not. All the regional Safeway or Woolworths supermarkets that we use do. If they don't then find a local butcher that does. Cryovac meat lasts 30+ days and actually improves when kept at the correct tempreture. Chedder cheese can be kept six months. Cryovanc is awesome and better than freezing.

www.mla.com.au (Meat & Livestock Corp or Australia)
Vacuum (cryovac) packaging

Vacuum packaging involves putting meat cuts in special bags that allow the removal of air to create a vacuum. The bag is made of a special low-oxygen-permeable material and meat in these bags can have a shelf life of between 6 and 10 weeks if stored correctly. Vacuum packaged meat may become more tender as it ages.

Vacuum packaged meat has a different colour and odour when it is first taken out of its special bag. Once the packaging has been exposed to the air, it only takes a few minutes for the colour and odour to return to normal.

Vacuum packaging can be used for both chilled and frozen meat storage.
FollowupID: 10267

Reply By: sloth - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 22:01

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 22:01
sounds great. maybe i should get a cryovak machine as well?

:)

AnswerID: 16646

Reply By: Member - Dave(Bungendore) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 22:50

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 22:50
Have two evakool fridges, a 68 litre and a 70 litre DT. They are good. Travel with family and little one who is still on the bottle. Recently spent 4 days with both fridges and running two, 2 foot house flouros (converted to run on 12 volt). Stored meat and frozen vegies for an extra family of 4 as well. Have dual batteries in vehicle and 90 hr deep cycle in trailer. Started the car once for about 15 minutes. No problems at all. Mind you I was upstream on the shoalhaven river so its not tropical temps. Fridges opened quite regularly, for kids and lots of beer.

The only problem I have had which would be the same for all fridges is the plugs. I recently did a trip in Qld and lost power 3 days in a row. Problem was voltage drop across the plug they come with. Regardless of the brand, change your leads and plugs (from cigarette types) in vehicle/trailer to good quality plugs to avoid voltage drops. Evakool have a low voltage cut out at 10.3 volts (or 10.7 volts in earlier models). This is measured at the compressor. I was having 1.5 volts drop across the plug that they came with. This means 11.8 at battery - 10.3 at compressor so it would cut out. I called into the factory in Qld and they steered me this way and not a problem since.

I have made up extra leads as you need a cigarette lighter plug to plug into the 240 volt convertor.

I can carry the 70 litre fridge from car to inside camper by myself. Any bigger unit, say the 90 and it would be getting harder to do.

As for freezing, freeze what you can on the 240 or while driving on boost. We take water iceblocks for the kids (in the plastic sleeves) and they freeze quite good. I keep a couple on top of the freezer section as they are a good indicator of the tempature.

As for their insulation qualities. I also have a 120 esky that we used to use, could camp for 2 weeks in the bush without adding ice. Must be good.

AnswerID: 17011

Sponsored Links