Odometer question.........

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 19:08
ThreadID: 4152 Views:2114 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
When I am searching for 2nd 4wd, how do I know the figure on odometer has not been altered ?
Also, when we re-register the car (if it is not yet registered) through VicRoad, can VicRoad help us to find out this ?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - diamond - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 20:52

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 20:52
in vic when i do a roadworthy any car built after 1988 has to have a working odometer and kms writen on roadworthy all you can do is ring vic roads and ask if they have an odometer reading from last rego wich might not be to much help if that was years ago or a one owner car.you can always look at service history of car have a look at the service sticker on windscreen and give them a call and if theres no service history on the car i would be looking at other oneslooking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 16530

Follow Up By: Eric - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:01

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:01
Thanks diamond. I have found a 85 Pajero with 280000km on it. As if consider the age of car, the odo seems not really right and also it is not using on original engine , not registered and no service history. But the price is really attractive and after test driving it seems ok.

Can I use the VIN or engine number somehow to find out whether it has been altered ?

Also, since it is not original engine, is it legal to wind back the odo as to reflect the actual km on the re-cond engine ?
FollowupID: 10192

Reply By: Member - diamond - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:11

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:11
280000ks might not be to many ks all depends on what it was used for i have got an 85 toyota camry that we dont use often and its only got 160000 ks with that many ks i would not be unusual for a 4cyl to to be changed a vin number check will probly only tell you if its stolen as for winding spedos back i know that is illegal.but if your not to sure about bying a used car its well worth spending $100 odd bucks and getting a racv test. looking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 16537

Reply By: David - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 13:45

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 13:45
With a lot of Kays on a car, the odometer reading becomes irrelevant, almost. Give me a car with 400,000 easy country klms which has been well serviced, any day, in preference to one with 200,000 hard stop/start say city and occasional beach/salt water etc klms.
With a car of that age it is far more important to go over it with a fine tooth comb, and try to ascertain it's past history... if you can.
Log books can tell a lot, sometimes. They can also tell some good lies, unfortunately. Look for telltales, like all done with the same pen- very suspicious... Spend lots of time looking hard- it may reward you.
AnswerID: 16600

Sponsored Links