winch and batteries

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 12:29
ThreadID: 4179 Views:2098 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
On a duel battery system which is the better to run your winch off.Their is people who say the main battery because that is where the main charge goes and others say aux battery
thanks Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David now Outnabout - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 13:12

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 13:12
On all the vehicles I have had it has always been connected to the main. I guess that is the vbattery that is going to be charged first and I usually have the engine running at about 1500rpm when winching. The key to winching is stop/ start regularly to avoid overheating.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 16683

Reply By: Member - David - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 15:18

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 15:18
I reckon the main cranking battery. Chances are it has a higher CCA than your auxilliary battery- which may even be a deep cycle, not a great idea for high amperage consumption.
Of course have your engine running when winching and the stop/start method at least gives the winch a chance for a breather and may even help the battery from warping plates.
seeya
AnswerID: 16696

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 16:51

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 16:51
timbo,

I prefer to go the other way, two reasons for this.

1. If you have to winch and your motor is dead or unable to run the aux battery may have enough juice to recover the vehicle, the you still have your main to re start.

& 2. With the motor running you are winchinig off both battries anway.
AnswerID: 16702

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 19:41

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 19:41
Timbo, the golden rule is to always reserve your starting battery for starting. People have perished in outback areas because they were unable to start their car.
Run the winch from the auxiliary battery, which should be a starting type battery for delivery high amps in short times. Deep cycle are not suitable for winches and that is why people run winches from their start battery(fraught with danger as I stated). I have a switchable battery charging set up that allows me to manually switch full alternator charge to the aux battery when needed to quickly boost it back up.
In a nutshell, those with electric winches need two starting type batteries and those that do not have a winch (or another form of power winch) can have a deep cycle for their low current over long period, needs (fridges, lights etc).
AnswerID: 16718

Reply By: Member - Chris - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 19:56

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 19:56
Timbo, my winch is hooked up to both batteries (deep cycle & starter). It's true that you get more umff out of the starter battery. Never come across problems with flat batteries in the middle of nowhere as I carry a 400 CCA battery pack that is always on charge in the vehicle. In the event that the engine's gone and you're relying on battery power I'd revert to the good ol handwinch if it looked like buckleys of getting out on battery power.
Love the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 16722

Sponsored Links