Gunbarrel Highway

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 19:35
ThreadID: 4189 Views:1737 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, I would appreciate comments on how long one should expect to take from Wiluna to Yulara, "average speed" etc. Track condition reports do not really get right into it. A reply to my private email would be even better than a post, but I will appreciate any advice. (NB I have moderate experience on outback tracks, including CSR)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 20:46

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 20:46
Stuart,

Have you read the Trek Note on the Gunbarrel - It show exactly what you are after. Go to Trip Planning - Trek Notes and select Gunbarrel.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 16727

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 20:54

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 20:54
We did it in three days sitting on 80kmh over the billion corrugations. Many bits rattled loose including the centrepins on the front springs, the snorkle and the winch. Punctures and repairs took up about three to four hours time. You could sit on a slower speed and take an extra couple of days. We were driving a FJ 55. The modern 4x4's are more comfortable with their coil suspensions but I think that things may still tend to rattle loose.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 16729

Follow Up By: Michael - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:02

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:02
Hi Willem, how many punchures and repairs did you have on that trip and how many k's over the three days, Just interested . Regards Michael
FollowupID: 10365

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:55

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:55
Hi Michael,

We did this trip solo and had three punctures along the way. The tubes were a bit sus after doing a north/south Canning and driving for at least 1500km at 12 -15psi air pressure. Repairing the front springs took the longest as we had to jack the old Tojo up high to be able to clamp the springs. The centrepins gave way because I had busted both front shockies by the end of the first week into the Canning and with all that extra shaking and bouncing something had to give. The winch rattled loose internally and I tied it up with wire. The snorkle fell off and got put in the back of the vehicle. The whip aerial kept on turning itself loose and I removed that as well. And DUST....it was like living inside a vacuum cleaner!!! We were on our way home to Alice Springs. The distance between Wiluna and Alice is around the 1800km mark. We refuelled once at Carnegie Station and drove along the abandoned section of the Gunbarrel north of Jackie Junction past Lake Christopher. Have a look at my website www.kempen.id.au where I have a diary of our Canning adventure done in 1994. The first night we camped at the Telecom Tower east of Carnegie. Next night was spent about 100km north of Jackie Junction and the third night we camped at Lasseters Cave( can't do that any more, I think). Got back to Alice late on the fourth day. We saw five vehicles between Wiluna and Docker River on that whole trip.
Is you girlfriend still with you, if I may ask?
FollowupID: 10368

Follow Up By: Michael - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:52

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:52
Hi Willem, thanks for the reply, interesting trip i guess. I'm actually a different Michael, i replyed before i saw the other Michaels' post . regards Michael.
FollowupID: 10373

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 21:33

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 21:33
Stuart in 2001 we went from Yulara to Wiluna left Yulara early p.m camped at Docker River camp ground ,
camped near million dollar corner on the abandoned section,
camped Camp Beadel
camped 100 Ks east of Carnegie
lunch Carnegie
camp between Carnegie & Wiluna
Wiluna 10 am
Took our time saw lots
AnswerID: 16736

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 22:27

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 22:27
Stuart
I did it in 1978 in a Daihatsu F20. Not very comfortable but a fantastic 4 days from Ayers Rock (no Yulara) to Wiluna. Didn't see any other vehicles, got stuck on a significantky eroded part of the track, had a fight with my girlfriend in the middle of absolutely nowhere, finally realised how completely insignificant we all are under a huge sky and big desert, miraculously had no vehicle problems (just as well), had a 14 channel CB SSB for safety equipment,(occasionally talked to the US), and a can of Coke for a fire extinguisher. Used it too. Sprayed in the face by a can of Coke. This was just after the fight with the girlfriend.
If it all sounds like Russell Coight-your wrong. He'd be much smarter. Anyway I lived to tell the tail-so did the girlfriend.
By the way, their were NO corrugations.
Hope this helps
FollowupID: 10359

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 23:49

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 23:49
Stuart, this is the roughest track around. The corrugations are fierce. There is no right speed - 20 km feels as bad as 80. You'll do less damage at 20. My steel packrack fractured. One trashed tyre, got cheap replacement at Meekatharra. We were taking it easy. Bloody hot in November - 45 at Warburton. I was as crook as Rookwood because I was doing the trip between cycles of chemotherapy. Car survived unscathed and so did I although I thought several fillings were going to fall out. Didn't see a soul for the whole transit. Allow 4 days.
AnswerID: 16749

Reply By: Greg - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:33

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:33
Stuart 3-4 days is plenty unless you want to spend a lot of time looking around. You will only have trouble with tyres etc if you drive too fast. Yes the road from Warburton to 100 kms east of Carnegie is very corrugated. Don't take a trailer as it will need to be good. There were a few wrecks on the side of the road. Best to do it April to September as outside that you can be exposed to constantly very hot weather. Carnegie is certainly a good place to camp. The road from Carnegie to Wiluna is very good (80kph all the way). We had no problems with either vehicle or any of our equipment.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 16765

Sponsored Links