Alert Emails

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:43
ThreadID: 4201 Views:1923 Replies:15 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Guys n Gals,

I am looking into the alert email issues today with the forum. I am also thinking of extending the responses to you. Things such as the followup/response ID and maybe even a copy of the response/followup. Can you quickly tell me what your thoughts are on this?Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:01

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:01
David, a copy of the response/follow-up is a good idea as it would save having to jump between email and the web-site. Better yet, could you build in an option for a "private" or non-posted response to be channelled through the alert process, rather than members having to email each other separately, outside the site?

Speaking of alerts, a method of alerting viewers to the posting of new Press Releases would be a good addition.

Oh, and speaking of members, have you considered restricting some of the site's functionality to members only? You may find that a stronger motivation for joining than current incentives.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan
AnswerID: 16766

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:13

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:13
Copy of response - OK I will add it.

Email outside of forum - This could be acheived however, I have been thinking of a members messaging system that will allow for communication between members outside of the forum. At this stage I still really want the responses on the site as this may help the thousands of other people who read it.

System partial lock down - Yes Michelle and I are having long discussions about this. There are pros and cons. Still thinking about this one.

Press releases - I will be adding a message in the latest news (top item in the left side data area) as each new press releases is added. We have not had many yet but there are a few on the way. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 10376

Follow Up By: Lyds - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:25

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:25
I wouldn't reduce current functionality to non-members. I believe that people become members because of the great facilities that were available to them as non-members and its a way of saying "thanks".

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 10379

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 12:27

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 12:27
Lyds, I think you place too much faith in humanity's sense of "fairness". We've been conditioned to get what we can for free and only pay for what we want when we can't get it for free. The enormous number of non-members that take full advantage of this site, without joining, is testimony to that.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan
FollowupID: 10382

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:11

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:11
the only problem i see with ristricting the site access & dont get me wrong members must have benifits above & beyond the non members but if you restrict to much of the site you run the risk of turning people away,every business has to put up with wheel kickers in my industery i get probalby 1 in every 10 qoutes the down side is you have to quote evry job or you may miss out, & the ones who dont always spend straight away can turn into the bigest spenders latter on,rather than ristrictions to the site why not increase the price of all stock by 10% & then offer discount to paying members,rember every member who comes here if he likes what he see 's will send somebody else to the site so while you may not get all the visitors to the site to jion up the rcommendations they put out may well get you many others maybe you could expand the rewards from $5 gift voucher to get 10 members to join you join free people are more likly to rejoin if they are already in the system & may even try to get others to join each year so they dont pay
jm2cw
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 10391

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:42

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:42
Can everyone that gets this followup response please forward it to me and tell me how many times you received it.Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

FollowupID: 10398

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:08

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:08
David
sound good to me,i also likr the idea of the alert for press releases only other coment i have is that do we realy need to get an alert saying that our questiuon has been posted when it takes us back to the forum any way & you cans ee you question there just a thought
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 16768

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:14

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:14
No you do not I will take it out.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 10377

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:05

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:05
Followup test 2 - Bruce please let me know if you get this. It is David not Michelle.Regards Michelle,

Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 10399

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:07

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:07
What happened to that response in email it was trash. Try again.Regards Michelle,

Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 10400

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:10

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:10
I am confused about what is happening to the email alerts - they have lost the encoding.Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

FollowupID: 10401

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:12

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:12
Found the problem I think the followup emails should be fine now.Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

FollowupID: 10402

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:49

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:49
David, I received one follow-up alert from you and one from Bruce. Neither contained the code so I couldn't "click here".Be good, or be quick.

Rohan
FollowupID: 10416

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 13:42

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 13:42
I have just completed and uploaded the Reply program and it now sends a copy of the answer to the originator of the question. It also gives you the PostID in the subject line.

You will also now start to see a Manage your Email Subscription link in every system generated email from ExplorOz.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 16781

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:11

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:11
what about a lock out at set times non members can still see what the site can do for them but to get full time acsess they have to become a member ,along the lines of a sneak preview?Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 16784

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:35

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:35
No there is any interesting idea - maybe allow non members to post and reply at certian times of the day only. Few hours in the morning and few hours in the evening. I will mention this to Michelle thanks.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 10394

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:51

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:51
Im full of ideas today ,member loyalty points (like fly buys)
geta new member to join 100pts
photo on my rigs 50pts
each log on 2pts
post responce 1 pt

THE LIST GOES ON

REWARDS IN THE SHOP

stubby cooler............1000pts
flag.....................1500pts

you get the idea instead of members money people can save there points for somthing they want.This should get non members thinking as each time they log on or tell someone about the site they are missing out on points ie $$$$$$Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 16786

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:15

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:15
now we are heading in a positive direction
rewards are always more frendly than punishment ,david do you have any stats on who does the most buying members visitors or anon,somthing i would look into before ristricting entry plus if you drive awy people you lowwer your sellabilty to advertisers better to have 1000 non paying visitors to your site than 300 payed members evntualy payed members will not have a need to buy as they will already have it plus advertisers look at 1000 visitors as the posiblity of sales for them is greater than 300 members yess the forum probly does seem frustrating as so meny entre with out being members ,but look at it as your window displey or sale item designed to get people in the door /the rest of your site where the true sales are to be made look at shoping centers you have to get them in the door before you can get the sales & as you have siad in an early post memberships have increased greatly in the last month which sounds to me like it is starting to come together with more people seeing the benifits to membership ,if it aint broke dont fix it ,you have them coming thruogh the door so sell sell sell sell the benifits of membership ok i have shoved my opion far enough down your throut lets her from other both members , non members & especialy new visitors / posible new members
Regards bruce
FollowupID: 10396

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:25

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:25
OK but why can we not do it as member money rewards like we already have. You refer a member get $5. We could add other rewards based on usage as you indicate so why could we not just give it as Member Money. They would seem to be the same to me!Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

FollowupID: 10397

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:20

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:20
david
i agree i dont think what form the rewards takes is realy an isue as long as it is relevant to the users but rewards rather than lock outs
FollowupID: 10407

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:53

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:53
David, bruce is probably right about marketing to advertisers. better to have lots of visitors (members or not). Circulation rules advertising. However, why not simply make the forum a members only function, or add a member only forum with the other suggestions from Michelle?Be good, or be quick.

Rohan
FollowupID: 10417

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:32

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:32
JUst a few more ideas ,points could be given to members that improve the site info ei;fuel price updates ,road conditions or a full set of trip notes including GPS points andpoints of interest(would make a great comp later on)

Would ARB ,TJM etc provide point system to members for shopping with them , they could then provide items for shop or a set advertising budget on exploroz for customer loyalty I am sure that the site and members will benifit
Hope you can understand where I am coming from on this , as I say just a few ideas floating around in my head .Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

AnswerID: 16792

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:56

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 15:56
David , Points or $ is fine Just running ideas up the old flag pole ,hope others will have improvements on basic idea , as they say from small acorns do mighty oaks grow . Any thing to help this great site grow and prosper .Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

AnswerID: 16797

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:00

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:00
David & Others,

I think members should get some real tangible benefits over and above non-members. The pics and signature tags are a great idea and no doubt are largely responsible for the recent jump in membership. Surely this is proof that if members are offered (valued) benefits over normal user benefits they will part with the moderate membership fee.

In my humble opinion, I think you need to determine what it is that users value. For instance, things like member money rewards and giveaways etc are okay but how many people bought a membership because of those? Personally, I'm interested in what I get here and now for my $, not what I might or might not get some time down the track.

Here's what I value from my membership:
- Members home page - very convenient but could be improved and non-members don't see what they are missing out on until they've already decided to become members anyway.
- Members Rig
- Members Profile

Other things I'd like to see are:
- Ability to post pics
- Member's only calender of events...eg. If I was going up the GRR in Jun I could post a notice for other members to meet up or travel with etc. Good way for members to organise day trips or weekend camping trips etc. Of course, there would need to be a way for members to contact each other without our email addresses being posted for all the world to see.
- Perhaps 2 or 3 member articles published each month. We all like to talk about our trips and experiences. Also, this would create more regular new content for frequent users.

Just some ideas...

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 16801

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:17

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:17
Melissa,

I agree with you on all of the additional things you are asking. Most are already on the list of things to do.

Members Home - yes it is old now and needs to be updated with a fresh look and feel - I will look into this very soon, in fact as some of the data is not 100% correct on the Members Home (the new advertisers display count is wrong).

Picture posting is actually very tough to implement but I am working on it. Consideration to server space and image size & data transfer costs make this harder - I am using the Members Rigs as the start point.

Calander of events is actually underway and will be available to members only. I think that I may publish the last month stuff to the non members (to show them what they miss out on), what do you think?

Members messaging is also one the drawing board and has been mentioned on a number of threads latley. So it will come.

Articles from members - Please send it in and we will work out how to put them on the system. Would you expect that these are available to non members to view?

The only problem is that I am only one person and I am very much under the gun in terms of time to make all this stuff work. Rest assured that they are all coming.
Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

FollowupID: 10406

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:34

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:34
david member stories should only be partily availbe to non members suck them in with a tatse teezer so if they want view full they must become full members & dont be discouraged by the fact you are one person it keeps people intersted if the changes are over time & not in one lump keeps them coming back to see how its improved & lets face it you have a bloodie good site already
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 10408

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:47

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:47
David, I agree with Bruce. I know you're keen to make the site pay, and hopefully get back to some touring, but we don't expect it all at once. Each and every improvement is a bonus and actually contributing to your decision making strengthens loyalty to the ExploreOz team (the old "being a part of something" effect).

However, were you to require assistance, I'm sure you'd find a number of highly skilled web publishers amongst the membership who'd be willing to assist. Be good, or be quick.

Rohan
FollowupID: 10415

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:10

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:10
David,

Great minds think alike! Seriously, as Rohan and Bruce have said, don't stress about trying to get everything done in a hurry. Do it once and do it right! Besides, the site is already great.

Reading responses below, the member article idea seems popular. Good idea suggested to make it kind of a monthly mag for members with 2 or 3 articles and a How To section. Then just show the non-members the front cover. Let the members do most of the work. Give them a format, article size, pic size etc to follow. The you guys would just have to review and put together the front cover. Perhaps, you could call for volunteer editors from members to do the proof reading etc.

Re: calender of events - let the non-members see previous months calender but disable any email links etc so all they get is a visual teaser.

Keep up the good work.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &

Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 10455

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:26

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:26
david i got your alerts 6 in all ihave forward all back to you on michelles email as i dont have yours
bruce
AnswerID: 16802

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:42

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 17:42
just anouther thought for you why not alow the advertisers to place next to thier logos when they post a members only discount or rewards
basicly the same as mebers txt next thier picture it would entice people to not only use the advertisers but be avisable benifit of membership
AnswerID: 16805

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:24

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:24
Bruce,

Yes I have been thinking a creating a small graphic to show in the search engine and forum those advertisers that have a members rewards. I have it now on the list of jobs.Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

FollowupID: 10503

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 18:16

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 18:16
some great ideas about articals etc could it be set up as some sort of members magazine where only the FRONT COVER could be viewed by non members , the content would only be by members .Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

AnswerID: 16807

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:14

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:14
tihink to make it work you would need it to be done in such away that the person posting to it would do the majority of the work with your cover page being similar to your question post where just the brief of the article submitted is shown other wise david will never be able to leave his computor,& anouther ideas is for the members to have a how i did it page ie how i fitted my uhf to my gq outlining the steps taken excetra & have it only open to members that way if the question comes up in the forum you can say well here it is step by stepbut you must be come a member to see it if it save them time & money people will jion up + members feel as they are part of the team 7 helping to keep this site running & i still say dont ristrict the forum to members only ithink you would find it to be counter productive!
hope im not boring you or sound as if im trying to force my opion on you all but just trying to help
FollowupID: 10424

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:35

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:35
just anouther one before i get back on with my work or i willnever get home,david ithink michelle siad when iwas talking to last that you now have direct debit avialable how posible is that you could have sections such as i sujested above ie how to's available to be emailed to a person after they pay a fee say $2 or $3 per down load or email that way you may capture some of the passing trade that is not likly to join as a member or may join latter but still is willing to pay as they go for privaliged information.ok thats it for me tonight got to get the work out
Regards bruce
FollowupID: 10426

Reply By: Kev. - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:10

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:10
Hey David , while talking about changes is it possiable to see the whole thread when sending a reply as at the moment you can only see the original question.
Some times i like to respond to someones comment or two at a time but cant see who sent it or refer to there post !

And you cant use your browser back button as you lose your post.

Anyone agree ???
AnswerID: 16818

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:58

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:58
Kev, if you use "post follow-up" instead of "post reply" you'll achieve your desired aim.

I use my back and forward buttons and usually don't lose the post I'm halfway through. Just in case, I highlight and copy the text, which I can then paste into a new post if the other is "lost".Be good, or be quick.

Rohan
FollowupID: 10420

Follow Up By: Kev. - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:11

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:11
Yeah but you can only see the post the follow up is on and not the rest of the thread.
Thats why follow ups are more popular than replys,

Example :
This thread - 13 replys and 20 follow ups.
Trucksters thread - 28 replys and 59 follow ups.

In both cases double the follow ups !

FollowupID: 10422

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:26

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:26
Yes it is possible to see the enitire thread when posting - I will do it next week for you and others. BTW: Followups are not more popular have a look at the totals count on the forum index atthe very top you will see the numbers. Anyway I will do this.Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

FollowupID: 10504

Reply By: Kev. - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:17

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:17
Also i dont think you should totaly restrict the forum to members only as i think people need time to see if they like it or not .

people dont just log on and start posting , they sit back and see what its all about first.

On the other hand i think a member should have some benefit be it discounts or access to serch functions ect.
AnswerID: 16819

Reply By: Salty - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 00:38

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 00:38
David,
Something to consider is that some people that use/browse this forum as a visitor may also belong to a number of other forums and if they have to pay to be a memberof these forums they may not have the "reddies" to do so.If you make it a members only forum you will be doing yourself and your advertisers a commercial injustice as you maybe turning away future customers. I know some members of this site would like to see it as members only but I dare say that you have to consider the commercial aspects of your and your advertiser business`s when making the decision. Just a thought. Regards Salty.
AnswerID: 16847

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:20

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:20
I don't think the forum should be completely members only for several reasons:
1) Got to let visitors see what its all about
2) Non-members posting inquiries and answers make a valuable contribution to the forum
3) Could reduce number of visitors and have a negative impact on advertising income.

Another solution might be to restrict the number of posts by non-members. This way infrequent users can participate and access the archives. Those that visit the forum more often aren't forced to join up straight away but know that at some point, if they want to keep participating, they're going to have to pay (a moderate fee let's face it)for the privilege. $ ebb and flow for most of us so this would give people a chance to work it into their budgets. In this way, everyone gets a fair go.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &

Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 10457

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:29

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:29
I have never indicated that I would lock out any part of the forum to non members. Yes this would have a negitive impact on everything and IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. I like the idea of allow a certain level of posts from non members however I would like to devote some time to members articles and calander of events for members so leave it with me and I will see what brain wave (strain) I can come up with.Regards

ExplorOz Team - David

AnswerID: 16897

Sponsored Links