Buying First 4x4

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 12:32
ThreadID: 4204 Views:1599 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

I am thinking about purchasing my first 4x4 and have the following in mind and was wanting some feedback.

Am thinking about a SWB FJ40, with lift kit and 33 or 35 tyres, engine I am unsure about but the standard 2f should be fine for the short term until I learn more about 4x4ing and the setup of the vehicle. Was hoping to be able to get one with removable hardtop (if these exist) with a 3in roll cage.

What is it going to be used for is the following:- camping, fishing and of course 4x4ing in Vistorian high country with a view of headin up North in the coming year or 2 (may be a little small for a trip like this though)

Questions?
1. What would I expect to pay for something like this in reasonable condition?
2. What are some things to look out for when purchasing?
3. What is insurance like for one of these (I am 25yo)?
4. What alternatives do I have around the same size and price unto about $10000?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Zam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 13:28

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 13:28
why do you want 33/35 tires? If your only going fishing, and camping, 32s are lots. heading lots Nth on 35's nobody up there or out west/central aust carry 33/35's so if you shag one you sit there and wait for oen to truck in.. Ive heard crazy prices being charged for them too.

40s are teeth rattling cars, comfort levels are = to a horse.

www.tradingpost.com.au for prices or www.redbook.com.au or buy one of them 4x4 trader books and look thru.

look out for rust, but then buying a 20+yr old car you cant expect NOT to have rust.

insurance www.tcis.com.au

$10,000 for a 40 series??? its made of gold is it?

$10k
MK/MQ/GQ patrol
60/62 series Cruiser

AnswerID: 16779

Reply By: zam045 - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:10

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 14:10
Thanks for that Truckster.

I was thinking about the 33/35's basically for looks and not functionality

I was looking at spending uptoi $10000 for a 40 series and get one that has been done up already and had most of the body work done to it and most other parts reco'ed or replaced, I would think this way it may be a little more expense but at the same time a bit more reliable.

The MK/MQ/GQ patrol was an idea that I have toyed with, but I like the idea of a soft/hard top on the 40, where as I have only ever seen 1 softtop patrol, do you have web site where I can get more info on the SWB patrols.

Cheers

Zam
AnswerID: 16783

Follow Up By: duncs - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 11:59

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 11:59
Remember that if you buy one already set up, particularly what you described, IT HAS BEEN FLOGGED. The things that get put under stress on a vehicle like this are very difficult to check and very expensive to repair. That is assuming you survive the accident that the part failure will cause.

Be CAREFUL
Duncs
FollowupID: 10578

Reply By: tristjo - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:01

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 16:01
I agree with truckster about the tyres, 33' and 35' are more for you serious offroading, and with such big tyres you would have to take into account things like much longer braking distances, mucher slower accelaration and also higher fuel consunmption. Talking about fuel consumption, one of my mates has a 40 series petrol ute, and of late around town he has been using more than 45ltrs per 100km. No, this is not a joke, so if you really want a petrol, take out an extra 10k loan to cover fuel costs. A better bet is to go for a diesel, as they use bugger all fuel when compared with the petrol, and also are much more reliable. They are also very uncomfortable, but that is typical of a leaf sprung, swb vehicle. When lifted, they can become VERY unstable due to their narrow track, so keep that in mind. The do rust readily, but fibreglass kits for them are everywhere, just add more $$. For 10k, you could get into a nice 3.3ltr turbo diesel MQ Patrol, with enough money left to do a bit of kitting out, eg softop, suspension improvements, tyres ect. The MQ is all in all a much more liveable 4x4, much more comfortable, and probably more capable than a forty. But better still, alot of good GQ patrols can be found now for under 10k, and as anyone will tell you, they're one helluva vehicle when compared to a forty or an MQ, the coilsprings and more modern engines being the biggest advantages.
Anyway, watever you choose, get out there and give it heaps!!
Tristjo.
AnswerID: 16798

Follow Up By: Savvas - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:52

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:52
45L/100km!!!!

I'll now stop complaining about my Jackaroo's 20L/100km around town.
FollowupID: 10447

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 22:29

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 22:29
45/100ks wow
20/100ks for a jack seems high i have a gq 3lt duel fuel and around townor even towing on hollidays i average 20-22/100ks using gas i picked my patrol up for $7000 so there are cheap ones availablelooking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10557

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 19:38

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 19:38
Hope you have a kidney belt. They were good 4x4's but I would give the 2F engine a miss. Especially if it has an Aisin carby fitted. Those carby's are nothing but trouble. 2F's also tend to burn valves but you can get by that by fitting better valves, valve seats and valve springs. A FJ 40 should not be priced more than $3500. Better to go and find a BJ 40 diesel. You could pay up to $8000 for a good BJ 40. Look out for rust on these vehicles. Early model Toyotas like to rust.Cheers, Willem

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 16814

Reply By: Ryan - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 00:04

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 00:04
These are awesome cars. The 2f motor is a little heavy on fuel but a lot nicer to drive on the road than a BJ40. They go anywhere and are very reliable, but a harsh ride. The main thing is to look out for rust, and look after them to keep the rust away. Cheap to fix as there is heaps of spare parts around - the mechanics tend to outlast the bodies on these things. HEAPS of character!

Ryan
AnswerID: 17990

Sponsored Links