Desert Pass

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 20:44
ThreadID: 4211 Views:2164 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I will be doing a trip later in the year across the Simpson on a trail bike as part of group of 5 bikes and 3 4WDs. Is it necessary to have a desert pass for each bike. I know we definately need them for the 4WDs but am unsure about the bikes.
Hope someone can help. Thanks ...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Darian - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:38

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:38
Visit the site http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/cgi-bin/pass.pl.....
You guessed it...bikes and cars ....its all the same....$85 ! Once there, you can make your mind up as to whether its worth it. TIp: Buy the pass from the closest outlet to your first park entry point. That way, if it rains and you call the trip it off, you don't have to watch the $85 ticking away each week. Some of the Outback roadhouses sell the DP passes and the daily passes.Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 16825

Follow Up By: Dave D. - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:32

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:32
Thanks Darian and to all the others who replied to my question.

I looked up the web site you suggested and its there in black and white about passes for bikes which is what I needed to know.
"Its all part of the planning"

Thanks again !!!
FollowupID: 10515

Reply By: Member - Jeff - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:26

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:26
Sounds expensive one for each bike, be more logical to share one between three or so.Check the site Darian said, otherwise depends which way you are going call one of the local agents such as Tibooburra NPWS (North West NSW). I would go one for each vehicle so that will give them something to read while you guys have fun. If you run into a Ranger out in the Simpson the chances of them checking are pretty remote - anyway be friendly and offer to buy one on the spot and they'll probably say it's alright. But then you could find one on a bad day.
Wish I could join you on the bikes just sold mine. Use to live at Tibooburra and rode my KLR 650 Kengai all round the place, but always wanted to cross the Simpson but did not have support crews. Saw a German couple up at Cape York last Sept on a TT600 he had a 4yr old on the front and his wife had a DR350 with a 2yr old on the front - small foot pegs and all. They had done the Plenty Hwy, Gunbarrel, Gibb River Rd and Cape York - all no problems.
Have Fun ! Cheers,

Beddo Surf KZN185
AnswerID: 16831

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 15:00

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 15:00
Put a bike bracket on each vehicle and your OK with just permits for the vehicles. The bike bracket would need to be made of cardboard or similar to keep the cost below $85 - but then its never going to be really used is it ;-)
FollowupID: 10469

Reply By: Member -BJ - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 18:09

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 18:09
Pay the money it goe's toward upkeep so we can all enjoy it , there are less places for us to go all the time.Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 16889

Follow Up By: Ray M (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 16:50

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 16:50
This is what bothers me. Does the money really go towards the upkeep or into some slush fund. I called into the vistors centre at one national park to pay my camping fees as there were no envelopes left at the camp site. The Ranger was quite surprised, shrugged her shoulders and said they just send any loot they get to Melbourne. I guess the funds are distributed from head office to the various parks, fair enough, but are our parks better for the fees we pay.Hooroo
FollowupID: 10538

Reply By: ThePublican - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:20

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 21:20
Dave D. ,,Seems to be 2 thoughts on your query,, realy boils down to HOW HONEST are you willing to be ,, cardboard bike carriers, very few rangers ,VERY FEW WHO I WOULD TRUST OR SHARE A BEER WITH IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE FOR THE SAKE OF $85.00.
AnswerID: 16896

Sponsored Links