Washing machine for 4wd

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:22
ThreadID: 4215 Views:5974 Replies:15 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. I'm currently undertaking a uni. project about designing a washing machine that doesn't use mains electricity. Our team thought of designing a laundry device for a 4WD, that colud be fixed or portable. We're at the initial design specification stage and were wondering what you would require of such a device. Thankyou for your time. Ash
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:41

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:41
Don't want to sound like a no-it-all but they do sell washing containers at camping stores. There's one that you place your clothes in and you swing it around. Also travellers often use a sealable bucket like a painters bucket or the like, they throw the clothes in with water washing powder and the natural movement of the vehicle over several hours does it for you especially if offroad.
If you can come up with something better than that my missus will want your autograph.
Main issues are that theyre compact, don't leak, wash better than the products above - even build a clothesline and peg holder onto it so all laundry items are together. I'm no einstein so i understand if somebody takes the p*ss out of me for these suggestions.
All the best for your project.
Regards
Love the bush.

Chris
AnswerID: 16834

Reply By: Member - Jeff - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:55

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 22:55
Went to Cape York last year and we took and also saw several other vehicles with plastic barrel strapped to the roof - screw on lid. Add clothes, powder, screw on lid and drive to agitate. Stop and rinse. Apart from putting environmental concerns on container I don't know what else - maybe you could combine it with a shower setup or so, soap used to wash clothes could be used in shower (use of waste water).
Directions on Washing Machine:
Load by hand
Add water & powder
Strap to roof.
Turn on can & drive to Agitate - do Old Telegraph Line, Cape York for serious stubborn stains.
Soak - stop car
Spin cycle - take lid off and do donuts
Unload - hit brakes suddenly
LOL
Sounds promising though - Maybe you could think of a way to wash / store plates, cutlery with the device. Also should be sturdy, able to be sat on, maybe it should be black to heat water also to assist in washing, should be multi purpose if possible.
Be interested to see what you come up with.
AnswerID: 16837

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 23:05

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 23:05
very good idea will try it out at easter lollooking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10431

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:13

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:13
Jeff you forgot the rinse - river crossing!

Plates - clean plates behind fan during abovementioned river crossing. Added benefit of keepng electrix dry
FollowupID: 10456

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 23:14

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 23:14
Uni projects are fantastic things if you want to be a city slicking smart arse... any twirp that had travelled through the University of the Outback, and had done a few Semesters out there , would know that the above question is very little short of daft !!! Get into the Uni of the Outback .. see the real world and don't ask daft questions ............A(r)sh licker
AnswerID: 16839

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 06:42

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 06:42
Steve,

have you thought that maybe Ash is asking a legitimate question? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and the benefit of our collected knowledge. Your answer is insulting and highly offensive. Not all Australians have the benefit of being introduced to the 'University of the Outback'. Maybe with support from us, not insults, Ash may venture there one day.
I can see by your answer to his question who is really daft!

Ash, the sealed drum on the roof rack is a method that is simple and has been tried all over Australia with good results. If you need more info or if this method is not what you are looking for please supply a bit more detail on your requirements.

Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy
FollowupID: 10433

Follow Up By: Scott - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 07:32

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 07:32
Steve are you jealous of people that get an education and are achievers?
Thankfully there are others that want to achieve and do something worth while.

Steve how about you remove that large log from your shoulder and do somehting about improving your education.

Uni projects are worthwhile and usually meaningful methods that often produce new ideas or improved products.
FollowupID: 10437

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:01

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:01
Gee Steve, your a real hero! I wish I could be so clever at making insulting comments. No doubt you learned that skill at Uni.Be good, or be quick.

Rohan
FollowupID: 10441

Follow Up By: Groove - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:19

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:19
Steve
If you are an example of what to expect from a graduate of the Uni of the outback then I cant say I think very highly of the institution.

Groove
FollowupID: 10450

Follow Up By: paul - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 13:16

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 13:16
Steve, p... off back to that black hole up between your legs and don't come back to this forum.
FollowupID: 10460

Follow Up By: Member - David- Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:15

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:15
Pull your head in Steve,

It's pretty sad that you want to knock this fella's initiative for asking a few questions.

I guess you don't like to use your microwave oven, neither do you gain any benefit from any kind of electronic device, including your computer? All of this stuff started off as Uni research projects.

Want another one?

A bunch of University physicists spread over the globe who were all involved in the same research project needed a way to communicate - so they developed the internet!

Need any more examples Steve?

I for one am glad that Ash is asking questions.
FollowupID: 10465

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:59

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:59
amazing steve
with 1 touch of a finger you managed to insult the majority of australian's population from uni students lecturers & all people living aywhere but the bush you also managed to show your own lack of education & inabilty to be in touch with reality maybe country singers are writing to many song son how good it is in the bush but in my travels around this great country i have found that no matter wher you come from or where you go people are the same some smart some not so smart & others who have no idea so that they attack other peoples'integrity some are builders some are wreckers( you ) & you must be your own reconing be an exspert becauce yuo live in the bush

exspert
ex= has been
spert = drip under preasure
yep your rigth you definatly fit the bill
FollowupID: 10468

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:04

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:04
Steve,

You reply is indeed conceited and exclusionist and totally offensive to most of the people who call by here. Its obvious the Uni of the Outback failed you before your entrance exam! Had you taken the time to look out past your sphincter you would have noticed that Students of the Outback (for we never really learn it all) are accepting of all people, we might have a bit of fun with them but its all good natured and not the poison vitriol you profess.

Get a life,
go learn the Aussie way!
FollowupID: 10482

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:12

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:12
Steve,

You reply is indeed conceited and exclusionist and totally offensive to most of the people who call by here. Its obvious the Uni of the Outback failed you before your entrance exam! Had you taken the time to look out past your sphincter you would have noticed that Students of the Outback (for we never really learn it all) are accepting of all people, we might have a bit of fun with them but its all good natured and not the poison vitriol you profess.

Get a life,
go learn the Aussie way!
FollowupID: 10484

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 19:01

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 19:01
Good on ya ASH ,go for it . Dont lissen to bleep s like steve . Unfortunately , we all have to put up with idiots like him . Have a go , and if you come up with something , then dont be afraid to let us know. ERROL. Why go overseas when you can

EXPLOROZ
FollowupID: 10496

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 00:14

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 00:14
Yep. We took our plastic barrel with us around oz on several occasions. Water, detergent and at the end of a drive. Rinse and hang out. So Ash, consider a washing machine for the campsite when you don't want to go driving for a while. There are some devices designed for developing countries. cheers Royce.Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 16843

Reply By: Tony from Helton Heat Exchangers - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 08:04

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 08:04
We have one of the pressure washers from the camp store and they are amaizing, One pint of boiling water one spoon of powder and the wash is as good as the wirlpool.

WORK ; The occupation undertaken between camping trips

Cheers
TonyHelton Heat Exchangers
AnswerID: 16852

Follow Up By: Scott - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 16:51

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 16:51
Tony we have one of those pressure washers and they are in plain English bloody amazing.
FollowupID: 10479

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 08:29

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 08:29
Ash,
Great idea. There are some available on the market but in my opinion they all have one prob;lem in common.........they are all round. I hate things that are cylindrical as they never seem to pack in properly. So my suggestion is to take on board what everyone has said but also mske it small and square.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 16855

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:17

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:17
Yep - square is good. I saw an article where someone was growing square watermelons - the fruit was placed inside a plastic box which forced the melon to take on the boxes shape. . Subaru owners are very particular about the shape of gear for obvious reasons.

Good luck with the washing machine.Colin - Subaru Forester

- size isn't everything ! -
FollowupID: 10509

Reply By: ThePublican - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:25

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:25
One word,,,, BAMIX.
AnswerID: 16857

Reply By: Member - Mal - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 10:38

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 10:38
Ash,
If we forget about the 4WD senario I think you may like to consider wind power. Maybe draw the power from the movement of the pump shaft of a "windmill" (which are really a wind pump as they are not milling anything).

Mal T.
AnswerID: 16864

Reply By: joc45 - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:25

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:25
Ash,
Ignore all the knockers. This is a country famous for inventors, and you're contributing.
Have you thought along the lines of the gemstone rumblers? (search on lapidary) These are a plastic drum on its side, sitting on two horz. shafts, driven by a geared motor for polishing gemstones. Maybe a 12v wiper motor could be adapted. A drum similar to what the guys above suggest, but with small lumps stuck to the inside to agitate the clothes. Design a frame which folds up to something light an compact, and voila! The 4wders will beat a path to your door.
Let's face it, if they are prepared to spend hundreds on a hot shower built into the engine compartment, then there is a market for this.
If successful, a small percentage my way would be appreciated!!
Good luck
Gerry
AnswerID: 16868

Follow Up By: joc45 - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:08

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:08
Perhaps I should have added to the above:
a DC motor-driven version of the Bamix Washer.
G
FollowupID: 10483

Reply By: David N. - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 13:41

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 13:41
Ash,
Firstly, sorrry for the (1) knocker- as you can see he's on his own.
Secondly.... there are the ones which rely on motion and these work pretty well, but if my wife could do a bit of washing (undies, socks, shirts) when we are camping.. ie: not moving on each day, she'd be wrapped. You know how women are- we get excited by slightly different things to them...
My only thought's would be ... maybe 12v power is a bit precious at times- would it still work if it was pedal or hand powered as well as 12v (or maybe pedal only??)
Just an idea- good luck with your project!
AnswerID: 16872

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:28

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:28
Two words,,BAMIX washer.
FollowupID: 10467

Follow Up By: Scott - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:01

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:01
David N the Sputnik pressure washers are the answer to your wishes. These are a small rotating ball type affair with a handle. Put in some hot water, little bit of low foaming detergent and put the lid back on, few spins of the handle and the clothes are clean. My wife would not be without one and uses at home as well for small stuff.
FollowupID: 10481

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:44

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 14:44
Ash & Others,

Here is a great idea I picked up on a trip to the Pilbara a couple of years ago. The bucket with a lid works really well but only if you are on the move. If you're in camp for a few days or more, try this:
Attach a stainless steel funnel to a broome handle (kind of like a toilet plunger)
Drill a series of random holes around the funnel, say about 5-7mm diametre.
Place clothes, water and detergent in a bucket (but don't stuff it too full)
Agitate clothes up and down with the plunger.
That's your washing machine! It is a very easy but effective process. Use the same procedure with fresh water to rinse your clothes.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 16877

Follow Up By: joc45 - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:26

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:26
Great idea Melissa!!
Actually, this design was around 50 years ago as an actual full-sized washing machine (my mother had one on the farm where we had no mains power, and it was cheaper than a petrol-driven simpson). A lever attached to the "funnel", a hand wringer bolted on top, and you gave it 100 pumps of the lever to get the clothes clean. You jogged my ailing memory.
Yes, Steve, there are inventors out there who do design things for the bush, and this one probably originated from a bushy.
Meanwhile, I am astounded at the ingenuity of contributors to this forum, whether it be for a shelving system, or how to install a 2-way. Someone's idea may not suit everyone, some others might, but it's a great melting pot for ideas.
Gerry
FollowupID: 10485

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:57

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 17:57
Hi Gerry,

It is a great idea but not mine...I stole it from a fellow camper who kindly loaned me their version of this "washing machine". The idea has been around for many years I discovered when viewing a freinds antique collection recently. They had a couple of commercially made copper incarnations similar to what I described. Adds truth to the adage that sometimes the old ways are the best ways (not that I'd trade my automatic Simpson)!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &

Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 10486

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 19:26

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 19:26
hi mellissa we had a camping/offroad show in bendigo with a guy selling a product very simmilar to what you are talking about we stood around for about 20 mins watching his demo only to find out they wanted $50 the idea was sensational but the price killed it $50 for a bucket and lid with the agitator.maybe someone could come up with a cheaper idea and sell in the shop here maybe $20-$30.looking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10547

Follow Up By: Dion - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 11:43

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 11:43
Melissa and others,
the agitator you are describing here is the same washing machine that we used in Oberon class submarines in Australia right from inception until the last one was put out of service a couple of years back. An aluminium funnel with holes 1/2 to 5/8's of an inch in the funnel, and long aluminium handle topped with T bar. The washing barrel was actually the engine room rubbish bin, we removed the rubbish bag, then had to wipe any remaining oil out of the bin. You'd only wash two overalls at a time, and do jox, sox and singlets first. Also there is no way we'd wash our 'civvies' in this way. The overalls would be wrung out by folding them lenghtways in half, then screwing them up to expel the excess water. The soapy water was sloshed into the bilge, then the bin filled with clean water again for the rinse cycle. (if water was plentiful carried onboard, they would get two rinses)
On completeion of washing, the overalls would be hung out at the back of the engine room and be dry in a very short time due to the heater for the dryer never being short on heat (two rockcrushers throw off a fair bit of heat).
Fortunately we have now moved into the next century and have a proper fitted (electrically operated) automatic washing machine and (electric) dryer in a dedicated laundry.

Cheers,

Dion.
FollowupID: 10577

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 15:56

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 15:56
The barrel idea is great if you are on the move regually but what about a family with a baby and a couple of ankle biters in the same spot for a week , Just an idea but what about something thatcan be attached to a rear wheel , jack it up and of you go 2000rpm forward 2000rpms in reverse that has got to clean nappys .(just a image about the barrel poped into my head I can see a dog running around the camp with washing barrel attached to a rope ,washing done dog exersised hahahaha )
Ash I wish you all the best with your project would love to see some photos on your final silution .Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

AnswerID: 16882

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 19:36

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 19:36
Ash,
Thinking outside the square again. You could come up with a design that can clamp on to a wheel. So you do not have to drive anywhere to have the washing slosh around inside the container inside the vehicle. Just jack up the wheel, put the vehicle is whatever gear you like the container to spin around in and you have your washing machine. Use reverse to agitate more. There is a very handy wheel stand that fits over the top of the wheel when you need more height when working on the engine. Maybe you could apply that principle to design a wheel washing machine.Cheers, Willem

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 16893

Follow Up By: David N. - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 10:49

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 10:49
wouldn't work though with LSD - but keep the ideas coming everybody.
FollowupID: 10529

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 20:25

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 20:25
LSD ? No worries. Jack both wheels up :-)Cheers, Willem

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 10551

Reply By: JohnH - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 09:29

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 09:29
Ash, sounds like its worth pursuing, couple of thoughts, or two cents worth, you've probably considered already, using other sources of power, air pressure, hydraulics, solar etc, and why make it square, make it so that it can fold down flat. Anyway whatever comes from this your efforts are appreciated for having a go at least. All the best with your project.

Regards John
AnswerID: 16915

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 10:12

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 10:12
Ash, soaking is a very effective method of washing and most of the suggestions are soakers with a bit of movement. Not unlike the copper of yesteryear with a stck to swirl the clothes around! For all the peole who suggested things with motors - you really don't need motor driven appliances for everything!! And Steve is one sick puppy!!
AnswerID: 16959

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (WA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 18:29

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 18:29
Mick I agree with your comment re:Steve , dont they put down sick puppys ? Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

FollowupID: 10592

Sponsored Links