laptops in car navigation problems

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 13:52
ThreadID: 4231 Views:1706 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
are there or has anyone had problems with there laptop running while on rough tracks and if so how did you fix the problem .I am soon to set one up and dont want to bugger the thing to early in the pieceBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 15:50

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 15:50
Peter,
The only real weakness in a laptop is the hard drive, and modern ones are meant to withstand many g's. Not sure, but the CDrom drives would be similar. Having said that, it's not a bad idea to nurse it as you are going along, esp when the corrugations are bad. I use a flat foam cushion with non-slip cloth stitched on each side. The cushion also insulates the knees from the heat of the laptop.
Stopping in a hurry can also send it onto the floor, so be aware.
Refer to a forum item just a bit back re installation of a laptop in a vehicle, with lots of input. I'm hanging out for the photos which are about to be posted. These generally are on a rigid mount, and they survive ok.
rgds, Gerry
AnswerID: 16929

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 14:18

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 14:18
Hi guys.

I have an Acer Extensa 367D which I have been using over the past 2 or so years. I have a Troopie fitted with Celica seats giving me a gap between the seating. Mounted up between the and just behind the seats is a tray onto which I velcros-ed the laptop.

I have had no problems with the hard drive. The CD rom does not apply to me as I have loaded all maps onto the HD.

Now here is MY PROBLEM.

As the vehicle moves over rough or corrugated ground, the screen tends to shake around quite a bit. I have eliminated this annoying thing by bracing the screen to the passengers head rest and that appears to be working but in fact damage had still occurred in that when the screen is not supported it flops around like a dunny door in a wind storm. It has a slop around of almost 2 inches at the top.

I have since made up a couple of braces to stop this but the damage has been done. I pulled the screen cover off to see if I can tighten something up only to find that there are a number of small plastic mouldings under the cover supposed to keep the screen supported.

All these moulding have broken off. I over come the problem to a degree by through drilling the screen cover under the LCD display and putting a though bolt with a securing nut on the outside.

A very bleep poor construction by ACER.........Never buy an Acer Laptop again.

$2,800 for crappy design.

The bottom line, keep in mind also that the screen needs support when open.

Regards
FollowupID: 10581

Follow Up By: David N. - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:49

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:49
Last time I bought a Toshiba (paid a lot more) for reliability.
Nothing but trouble- back 3 times on warranty and again since.( It did NOT have a rough time and did not go 4WDing!!)
I now have an ACER Travelmate 432 and love it- I think any laptop will have issues with ruggedness unless you pay Thousands and Thousands more dollars!
Moral of the story... treat any laptop with respect- hopefully it will then last.
FollowupID: 10626

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 20:29

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 20:29
I am about to purchase one of these for my Toyota L/C 100 series, should answer your and my problem...I hope

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ark000/Navigator%20mobile%20desk.htm
AnswerID: 16992

Follow Up By: Janset - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 18:41

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 18:41
Hi there.

I think you may have missed the point in my case. I have no problem with the actual positioning the laptop, or it's security concerning it bouncing off the tray, albeit it is in an awkward place, (behind my left shoulder in between the front seats).

The main problem is to secure the lid when it is in an open position.

While it feels nice and firm when open (and still new), it does get quite a bit of shaking about in a forward and backward direction, this is transferred down to the hinge and the casing.

This is where I sustained all my damage, to the extent that the lid now flops about 2-3 inches in the open position. I have managed to eliminate some of the play as stated above, but not a much as I would like to have.

When it was new, I had no slop or play, now, phrrrrrrrrr! :-(

Regards
FollowupID: 10651

Reply By: tony from Mobile Desk Solutions - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 18:12

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 18:12
We have supplied many laptop mounts for vehicles. Our mounts are designed to be easily installed and removed when need be and feature a unique NO-DRILL mounting bracket. We have standard mounts to suit most 4 x 4's and laptops.
Email me for more information.
Tony
AnswerID: 19181

Sponsored Links