<span class="highlight">GPS</span>, Winch or Fridge..... Engel or Waeco

Submitted: Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:05
ThreadID: 42376 Views:2943 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I can probably afford to but 2 out of 3.......... "but" = BUY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:33

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:33
It's a no brainer. Fridge and GPS will return years of constant service. I'd out the two down as the best investments I've ever made. Once you get the hang of GPS they are the best things since sliced bread.

Use of a winch can easily be avoided by planning, commonsense or just travelling with someone else.

AnswerID: 222087

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 13:38

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 13:38
My vote is GPS and Fridge.

Engel or Waeco? That sounds like Commodore or Falcon. There are more than just Engel and Waeco fridges. Look at all the makes of fridge and decide which best suits your needs. I myself got a trailblazer.

Regarding a GPS look at getting a PDA GPS. It has more functions than a straight GPS.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 222100

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 14:10

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 14:10
gps and fridge When i got a fridge I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.
If you reckon you may get bogged a bit IMO a hi lift is more usefull than a winch - actually it is more than an opinion I have got myself out with a hi lift when the winch couldnt and been stranded on another occasion coz I left the hi lift home and th winch wasnt up to it
AnswerID: 222105

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 15:23

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 15:23
Yep...agree with the above comments. Fridge definately first, (apart from an air pump, snatch straps and a bloody good shovel.) I agree with Kumunara, go for a PDA gps if you must have a GPS that is.. (Mind you we all survived well enough with maps before GPS was readily available....although haveing said that I have two...just luv them boy toys.)
Have had both Engel and a Waeco currently..both equal IMHO. Went for the Waeco this time around as it was a far bit lighter than the Engel and my back is not so good these days.
Remember however with a fridge you really do need an auxilliary battery system if you don't have one at the moment....that of course can then lead to a generator or solar panel to keep the system going if your camped for a long period...its like a game of dominos...one thing leads to another.
Had a winch on the wagon some 10 years ago....got stuck in the Finke with not a bloody tree in useful proximity, and 42 degrees. Haven't bothered with a winch since. They also add a far bit of weight to your front end. Hi-lifts are handy but cannot be used on all vehicles. If you have sufficient $$ drop the winch and GPS and get a rear airlocker.

Just my humble opinion.

Brenton
AnswerID: 222114

Reply By: fruers - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 16:04

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 16:04
I'd go for the fridge -- hands down. Couldn't believe i'd stuffed around with ice and eskies for so long.
AnswerID: 222119

Reply By: GQ again - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 17:48

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 17:48
fridge and winch for my liking
you can always use a map rather than a gps
but someone isnt always there to pull you out of the bogg especially in black soil country a hi lift isnt much good
but thats just my opinion others have theirs
you have to make up your mind whats best for you
AnswerID: 222143

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 18:11

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 18:11
Depends what you do, where you go and how you do it.

If you travel to remote places alone then GPS and winch.

If you usually travel in a group then GPS and fridge.

If you don't go far off the beaten track then just the fridge - maybe a winch but you can probably walk out for help.

As usual... it's horses for courses....

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 222146

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 19:54

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 19:54
Get the fridge ... if you think you will need a winch, buy a highlift, and a folder full of maps. Stick the difference in the bank.

I got right around Australia last year, had an older GPS and never even put batteries into it. I did use the highlift on one occasion when bogged in a claypan, but without it I'd just have had to dig a little more. A winch would have done me no good at all.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 222159

Reply By: Sarg - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 20:45

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 20:45
Easy decision : Magellan and Engle
AnswerID: 222175

Sponsored Links