GPS - Moving Maps in Real Time

Submitted: Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 425 Views:2534 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had experience with setting up a GPS and moving map software on a laptop. I have a Garmin eMap GPS and am not sure which is the best way to go with the software. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CHRIS - Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Peter I have been using Des Newmans oziexplorer soft ware with my garmin gps 2 with great success
fora few years now . His web site is oziexplorer.com I have checked out and used quiet a few of the
other software on the market and found this one works well and is simple to use. Good luck
AnswerID: 1077

Reply By: jeremy - Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00
I have a Garmin Emap which has the built in moving map and also have the Garmin Map Sourse program on my PC and run it on the Lap Top, but i have not been able to use it for moving map on screen !!!..... but i have not had it long !, so i might work it out soon ! If you want that program i can get it for you!
Its great for planning trips etc !
AnswerID: 1116

Follow Up By: Peter Gordon - Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks for your reply. Since posting my question I have tried a couple of programs that all work well. The first is called Trax, the 2nd is Fagawi and 3rd is OziExplorer. The first 2's maps cost around $7.70 each for a 1:250,000 scale. Fagawi cost me $187.00 and works a treat apart from the map costs. Trax came for free with the maps. The best option (cost wise) seems to be OziExplorer. I have purchased the entire Australian continent (includung Tasmania) for $99.00 from AUSLIG. These appear to be the same resolution as the maps from Trax. Maybe even the same maps saved in a different format for use with Fagawi & Trax. I am waiting for the full retail version of OziExplorer after the free download proved promising (and a cheaper overall option, is something standing out here?). Your suggestion of using Garmin Map Sourse also sounds promising and I would like to have a look at it also. As a side note, you would also know that Garmin accessories are horrendously expensive. If I need to purchase anymore genuine accessories I am going to the Garmin (USA) website. Even with our low exchange rate most of the accessories would still be half the price they are here. If I can be more help or you have any other idea's please contact me at petermg@bigpond.com. Cheers.
FollowupID: 323

Reply By: Peter James - Thursday, Oct 04, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 04, 2001 at 00:00
I've been using Oziexplorer 'live' on a laptop for a few years now, works extremely well especially in remote areas. I've used it for extended outback trips using the Auslig 1/250 maps, plenty of detail for remote areas, even to the stage where my 15 y/o son could call the corners when I was travelling up the Connie Sue hwy. I use it on a Toshiba 486/70 and either an old Garmin 75 or a 12xl gps. If you have to buy a laptop ensure it has a tft screen for best resolution in sunlight. The best place to buy GPS accessories in Oz is at www.gpsoz.com.au. (not involved with the site but they give good service)
Peter
AnswerID: 1174

Follow Up By: Peter Gordon - Saturday, Oct 06, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 06, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks for your reply Peter. I too am now running OziExplorer with the AUSLIG maps and after a few small hiccups (on my part) things work a treat. I contacted OziExplorers authors with a couple of minor problems and they responded quickly with all the answers. Can't thank them enough. Lets keep buying Australian. Cheers, Peter.
FollowupID: 343

Sponsored Links