PDA/<span class="highlight">GPS</span> cards/Monitors - info ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 14:30
ThreadID: 42522 Views:1962 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have some GPS/PDA questions for those experts I know are out there !

I have a PC with maps, I can view them with the OziExplorer trial software I downloaded. Having decided against travelling with a laptop (for reasons of security, reliability, and ease of use), a PDA, GPS card, and full OE software are my next purchases. What I’d like to know is:

- What GPS card choices are there for PDA’s, and where do I find them ?

- Do they all fit the standard PDA CF slot ?

- Do they all have aerials ?

- I need reading glasses to read anything on any screen, so I’m leaning towards a hi-res Dell X51v with its 480x640 VGA display. Does anyone have experience with these ? Are there similar units ?

- I believe some PDA’s can drive an external monitor, which I’d like to mount in the centre console. If the spec says ‘VGA out’ does this mean they’re capable of this ? Will the display be at the same resolution as the PDA ?

- If using an external monitor, can it also be used for a reversing camera, presumably with a switch of some sort ?

Cheers, and thanks for your help in advance !

Nic
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 14:51

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 14:51
HOLUX CF GPS GM-270, with external antenna (never used the antenna though- unit 'gets' signals good without). 12-channel - just plugs into CF slot.
Best of all it was under $50 off ebay (new).
Use with Ozi Explorer and Destinator- both find GPS no worries.
AnswerID: 222911

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 16:18

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 16:18
Nic,

I got my Dell x51v off eBay - great buy eventually - everyone else tries to bump the price up. I also got a BT-388 GPS unit from ebay. This works very well with the PDA. The only thing is the rechargable batteries. In my situation I found the best way to keep everything charged was with an Arkon powered PDA mount. Now everything works well and doesn't run flat.

I run the Axim with Destinator 6 which is pretty good - much better than the Mrs' Sensis v.10 in the Rav (I think the newest version of Sensis would be the same as Destinator).

I haven't got around to buying Oziezplorer yet but will get around to it prior to the 'boys trip' in May/June. I've got topo maps of Victoria ready to go - have tried them on the trial on the desktop.

I've seen a CF to USB converter but this was expensive. I'm not sure of an external screen from the PDA so can't help here. A lot of the higher end screens have two imputs so if you could work out how to plug the PDA into the screen then the other imput could be used with a reversing camera - I think.....
AnswerID: 222929

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 16:56

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 16:56
I've got one of THESE and it works like a champion. Running copilot 6 live and ozi
AnswerID: 222934

Reply By: Chucky - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 17:54

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 17:54
if your PDA has blue tooth just get a bluetooth gps. Cost bugger all on ebay.
That way you aren't using a card slot for the GPS that could be used for storage.

Or you could just get a PDA with a inbuilt gps. My father out law has an ACER that has the built in gps and it works great. He uses Co-pilot 6 for street and voice guidance. and Oziexplore for out of town runs.
AnswerID: 222948

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 19:38

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 19:38
Try this one for bad eyesight

Site Link
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 222981

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 19:42

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 19:42
That was wrong link, this is aussie link