4wheeling oz webzine

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 21, 2007 at 20:36
ThreadID: 42567 Views:1788 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody know when the next 4wheeling oz webzine will be out? There's been no update on their website since July.

Mick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2007 at 23:26

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2007 at 23:26
Dunno meself. Andrew wanted an article from me a while back and I gave him one but have heard nothing since. Maybe he is busy at work. I can give you his email addy if you havent got it. Just send an email to me via my website below.

Cheers
AnswerID: 223285

Follow Up By: Robin - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:17

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:17
Same story here Willem, but he was into new jobs and very busy and it was all to much late last year.

Robin Miller
FollowupID: 484189

Follow Up By: Andrew from 4wheelingOZ Magazine - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 21:04

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 21:04
Thanks to both of you for your contributions. I really appreciate your efforts.
Unfortunately I have only a few others so, even after 6 months, the mag is about 60 pages. As its designated the Summer edition I'll make sure it gets out before the end of the month.
Without a big influx of contributuons I think I'll have to admit defeat and give up on the idea of a free press 4x4 mag.
FollowupID: 484299

Follow Up By: Robin - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 21:26

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 21:26
Ok Andrew, good to hear from you , must have been out in the bush to much , didn't realize there was a lack of stuff.

Without real support its to much for one person , but perhaps there may be other options - haven't thought this through yet but have often thought that we could be well served by a sort of permanent web based magazine, sort of a web site that continuously builds up with info and stories as a sort of standing magazine and which could be maintained on a less demanding ad hoc edited basis.

Something to mull about

Robin Miller

FollowupID: 484302

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:29

Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:29
Hi Robin and Andrew,

Thats not a bad idea in having a permanent webzine.

Robin when you have mulled up more questions than anmswers email me through my website below and we could take it from there with Andrews' imput too, of course.

There would be some minor funding needs and that is something to explore as well.

Cheers
FollowupID: 484346

Follow Up By: Andrew from 4wheelingOZ Magazine - Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 23:23

Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 23:23
Im happy to hand over access to the website controls to a few trusted individuals, to help out keeping it fresh/up to date.
Keep the ideas coming!
FollowupID: 487681

Reply By: SA_Patrol - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:08

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:08
You can also get him on

Site Link

AnswerID: 223324

Reply By: Andrew from 4wheelingOZ Magazine - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 22:03

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 22:03
Long reply (releasing some frustration LOL)

The mag is actually pretty easy to put together (20 to 30 hours max, a lot less if stories are submitted in Publisher format rather than word) but the chasing, scrounging and general searching for stories is a PITA that I really don’t have time or motivation for.

For those that don’t know me, I run a large heavy engineering business – five and a half days a week – am married and have 3 kids under 10, currently building a new house and still managing to go 4WDing a couple of days a month plus long weekends, etc. Basically I have a very busy but enjoyable and fulfilling life!

The idea for the mag came from all of the excellent trip reports that were being written for club mags and personal websites, which in my opinion were a far better read and more enjoyable than those in the commercial mags. So a magazine by 4WDers for 4WDers was born. Totally free of commercial interests and distributed for free (it actually costs me a few hundred dollars a year but I can live with that) with all stories being run “as written” without any editing by me.

FYI the winch edition was downloaded nearly 35,000 times. That’s more copies than Overlander or 4x4Aus sell! I thought that would really kick it along but after that one it dried up completely!

At this stage, unless some major help/input happens, my plan is to do one more after this, the Winter edition mid year, to finish the winch testing off – as there has been so much interest, and 2 companies had the balls to send me some winches (which are still going very well) - and to cover the OBC (due to the fantastic response from spectators and competitors last year) and then give it up. That’s a shame. A missed opportunity for everyone that’s into 4wding especially when it only needed half a dozen people to get involved and could have really taken off. I’m sick of asking on various groups and forums for stories. Comp guys rigs could be featured and their sponsors shown off. Zero response. I’ve asked if people want their vehicles featured in the mag (DIY storage systems, DIY dual batts, whatever). Got zilch. Ask for a few favourite pics to show off from some really top amateur 4WD photographers- Nothing arrived.

Enough from me and sorry if I sound upset about this, coz I’m not, I’m just disappointed it hasn’t achieved what it could have. Thanks again to those that have submitted articles, they have been fantastic and you should all be very pleased with and proud of your efforts.

Andrew
AnswerID: 223439

Follow Up By: Andrew from 4wheelingOZ Magazine - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 22:04

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 22:04
Sorry, this should have been in reply to Robins post. LOL

Mag should be ready to read next week.
FollowupID: 484307

Follow Up By: navaraman - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 23:25

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 23:25
It would be a pity to see it go Andrew because it's the best mag I read. I've got a few trips coming up in the next few months so I'll make sure you get the reports for the winter issue. Would it be possible to leep it as a twice yearly mag insted of the original quaterly.
Patrolman Pat
FollowupID: 484321

Follow Up By: Member - Mike_L (SA) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 19:21

Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 19:21
Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I must agree with navaraman, it's a fantastic magazine and a much better read than any of the mainstream, commercial magazines we see in the newsagents.

I understand your situation, I am self employed in engineering, work six days a week and also find it hard for some spare time for other interests.
It would be sad to see the mag finish up. Anything I can do to help? might even try and write an article.

Looking forward to the new edition.

Mick.
FollowupID: 484642

Reply By: Andrew from 4wheelingOZ Magazine - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 23:35

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 23:35
Now! (finally)

Summer2006/07
AnswerID: 226669

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:01

Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:01
Thanks Andrew, have downloaded it. Congratulations on it, looks great.
FollowupID: 487507

Follow Up By: Member - Mike_L (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 20:36

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 20:36
Thanks Andrew, Looks like an excellent publication once again.( as always)

Mick.
FollowupID: 488045

Sponsored Links