iBlue737 Bluetooth <span class="highlight">GPS</span>

Submitted: Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 22:52
ThreadID: 42642 Views:1718 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested in the iBlue737 Bluetooth GPS & would like to know if anyone has used this unit with OziExplorer Moving Map setup on a laptap which has bluetooth comms capabilities.. I have read articles where you can have difficulties with NMEA data transfer. Also I believe such data as waypoints,routes etc cannot be used on the device. Is this true? Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:04

Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:04
Topcat.

The bluetooth GPS's only job is to know where it is and tell something via bluetooth comms, be it a PDA, Laptop or extraterrestrial being with bluetooth receptors. All it does is sit on the dashboard and send NMEA strings to the other device (or alien).

The laptop does all the thinking. So if you use a program on the laptop such as OziExplorer or nRoute and Mapsource, the waypoints, routes etc work. You may be thinking if the new raft of Navman and TomTom GO devices which arent waypoint or route capable.

I have a bluetooth GPS not the one you mentioned and it works flawlessly and I cannot see why the iBlue737 wouldnt do the same, and if it didnt I would send it back for a refund and a set of RockCrawler rims.

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 223699

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:30

Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:30
NMEA transfer is the only thing that the GPS needs to do if you have it connected to OziEx on a laptop - it does mean the laptop must be running in order to use it.

The routes and waypoints etc functionality is provided by OziExplorer.

Your laptop needs to be able to pair with the Bluetooth GPS - it needs Bluetooth too, needless to say, and probably the GPS will come with a driver for it to make connection to it easy.

You will still need to set up the device appropriately in OziExplorer - I think you will still need COM port name, baud rate, parity, stop bits to match.

Make sure your iBlue737 supplier provides instructions or support to connect to OziEx is probably the best way.
AnswerID: 223707

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 13:07

Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 13:07
Thanks again for the replies. It's just the info I needed. Cheers.
AnswerID: 223722

Reply By: RovingOz (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 13:35
There's a cheap bluetooth gps for sale in the trader ;-)
AnswerID: 223726

Sponsored Links