Transaustralia access road

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 427 Views:2025 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know the road condition of the access road that follows the railway line across the Nullabour -
extreme 4wd or pleasant 4wd? We are thinking of going over in Dec - probably do that section West to East
and the tar road the other way.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg - Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00
Yvonne I am planning this trip next year and my enquiries indicate the track is slow with a lot of stoney sections which are severe on tyres. There are a number of permits required.
AnswerID: 1088

Follow Up By: Yvonne - Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00

Thanks for that Greg.
Do the permits apply mostly for SA? How do you find out if permits are needed?
FollowupID: 312

Reply By: Grant - Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00

Yvonne, we are going along the line as far as Zanthus before turning South in a fortnight. Will let you know about that section when we return. Grant
AnswerID: 1090

Follow Up By: Yvonne - Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00

Have a great trip Grant - we'd love to hear how it went.
I take it you mean Boulder to Zanthus section rather than from the SA direction. This is the same bit
we were looking at doing although maybe as faras Rawlinna or Forrest though that might be pushing our
luck a bit!
FollowupID: 310

Reply By: Shane Herring - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Yvonne,

I did the trip in July last year. People kept telling me I was crazy and that I would get bogged. July is the driest part of the year in that area. Road conditions may not have changed much but I hope this will help.

The "road" to Rawlinna is quite good. It's maintained by Transfield who carry out line maintenance. From Rawlinna to Forest it goes downhill. It is slow going although in short sections you can get up to 80Kms (caution is required). We got sick of the slow pace so moved to the North side of the line at Mundrabilla siding. There is little or not track on the north side but if you keep your eyes peeled you can pick it up. It is slow but it's very smooth. Caution is required but you can at least keep a steady pace without having to dodge ruts.

If you plan on going to Forest, let me know as it's a private area and you should ring Max and Yvonne (if they're still managing it) before heading out there.

If you want more info, please don't hesitate to email me.

Cheers
Shane
AnswerID: 1094

Follow Up By: Shane - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2001 at 00:00
I suppose you might want my email address. shane_herring@myrealbox.com

Cheers
FollowupID: 313

Reply By: Margaret - Thursday, Sep 20, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 20, 2001 at 00:00
We have just returned from a trip along the railway from Malbooma (having come up Googs Track) to Cook. Road from Malbooma to Watson is excellent but then deteriorates somewhat. Excellent camping as far as Ooldea. Time from Ooldea to Cook about 4 hours. Have also previously travelled Malbooma to Glendambo and Rawlinna to Boulder, both good roads.
AnswerID: 1104

Reply By: Grant - Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00
Yvonne, we're back. That section of the road from Boulder to Zanthus was easy, very good road, no corrugations, a few roller-coasters. The worst of it was close to Boulder just off the bitumen, after that it just got better and easier. BUT, one warning, you will see signs saying "Deep Floodway". Slow down. They are deepish but short. Hit one at 80-100kph and your rolling gear will stay there while the rest of your vehicle rolls on! We pulled 1000kg+ of off-road camper trailer along this road at a very comfy 80k's with the Jack. December could be very hot out there though.A very enjoyable leg of our journey. We recommend the Zanthus to Balladonia track as a beautiful drive. 200k's long,average speed 25-30k's, no corrugations, just two parallel wheel tracks winding through some wonderful spinifex and saltbush woodland. Anyone wants any more info, GPS readings on Z-B you can contact us at geeangee@katel.net.au Have a great trip, Grant.

"not all who wander are lost"
AnswerID: 1208

Sponsored Links