Travelling with dogs in the Kimberleys

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:12
ThreadID: 4284 Views:3233 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Going to the Kimberleys in July and wanted to know if any other travellers have taken their dog/s.
I understand that CALM has stated that pets aren't allowed within National Park boundaries but after perusing their website they don't seem to mention "pets not allowed" when it comes to places like the mitchell plateau and other areas along the Gibb River Road where I would have thought they would be putting a foot down right on top of it.
Personally when camping through the south-west national parks I've seen quite a few other campers with dogs. I don't see a problem as long as they're always secured especially with salty's in the waterways.
After advice from other pet owners.
Regards.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:30

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:30
Chris,
We have the same problem when taking our little mate with us. No, I doubt it if you will be able to take dogs into National Parks anywhere up north. This is a sore point with me. Whilst responsible dog owners get penalised, feral cats, perpetuated by irresponsible cat owners, roam the Outback with disdain. Feral donkeys, feral camels, feral horses and feral pigs all live in luxury in national parks throughout Australia. If National Parks were fair dinkum they could provide safe housing for pets at park entrances like they do in South Africa's Kruger National Park. But that is all too hard!

Also, are you aware that you will have to administer Heartworm tablets and Tick tablets on a daily basis to prevent your dog from getting these diseases?

Probably best to look for an alternative holiday for your pet.
AnswerID: 17098

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:39

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:39
Cheers Willem,
May have to drop him off at a Broome kennel but don't really want to. Good point about the feral animals. I noticed on the maps most of the Gibb river road is out of national parks so if we get told off for having a well secured animal we just pack up and drive outside the borders. Somebody would probably get their rocks off giving us an infringement though. Definitely look into the tick tablets.
Regards.Love the bush.

Chris
FollowupID: 10676

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:13

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:13
Just be aware that station hands, rangers etc WILL shoot them on site if they're loose.

Broome kennels have excellent facilities and all I know who have used them speak highly. Charges are according to dog's weight (which is why my two don't go there and no other reason) and I think they have a good exercise program. Do or Do Not - there is no try !
FollowupID: 10682

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 14:53

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 14:53
Allyn, thinking of leaving doggy in a kennel even though he's heavy also.
Have you done the gibb river road incorporating mitchell plateau, Kalumburu and others? If so, is a week to two weeks more than sufficient to see the sights etc. I've been told you can traverse the whole road without stopping in just over a day in the dry - I suppose you'd add 3 or more for the plateau/kalumburu areas. We're primarily doing it for the sights and R&R will probably be back at Cape Leveque or somewhere else.
Regards
Chris JonesLove the bush.

Chris
FollowupID: 10688

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 15:11

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 15:11
Hi Chris,

It's not just NP's that forbid pets. No pets is usually a condition of gaining permits and entering Aborginal owned lands. Also, most stations will not allow dogs either. Another point to consider is that some CVP do allow pets during off-peak season but not during peak season. Would pay to check this out well in advance of your holiday.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &

Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 17136

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 15:19

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 15:19
Chris
contact me on allyn@wn.com.au and I shall give all the info I haveDo or Do Not - there is no try !
AnswerID: 17138

Reply By: maverick - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 23:29

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 23:29
don't take the dog. let it have a holiday in some doggy resort somewhere. there is no way you can look after your dog all the time in the bush and it will end up taking a bait. i don't think you would want to watch that. the other reply was correct about private station holders. most dogs if loose will be destroyed. calm does not allow dogs in any national park in w.a. just leave it home.
AnswerID: 17869

Sponsored Links