Moving Map & <span class="highlight">GPS</span>

Submitted: Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:12
ThreadID: 42843 Views:2704 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Currently setting up to head off around Australia and have been toying around with the idea of using the 'moving map' function with Ozzie Explorer. Not too keen on having to mount the laptop somewhere where it can be seen whilst driving, or under the seat running to a smalller LCD screen mounted on the dash.

What are the benefits of 'moving map' as opposed to just viewing where I am on my Explorist 500 screen using Discover Aus Streets and Tracks Topo. Obviously screen size (if using laptop or LCD screen) and the ability to use maps you have uploaded through Ozzie Explorer would be the main advantages.

One thing I would like to be able to do is plot my path of travel around Australia so when I have finished it can be seen on a map of Australia. Can this be done by saving the days treks on computer at the end of the day and joining them together to make one big trek.

How would I go about doing this and would I need to use the moving map function to allow this ?

Cheers

Birdy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:46

Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:46
Hello - yes the benifits of using Oziexplorer would include a choice of maps - though DiscoverAus maps are not that bad. Other benefit is the ability to record unlimitted track points. The GPS you have has a limit of 2000 track points - Oziexplorer + laptop/PDA has no limit (except devices internal memory). In your case this is probabaly not an issue but that depends on what detail you want to record and how far you go each day. If you are just going to plot on a small scale map (ie all of Australia) then you can afford to be out a bit as it wont show.

Set track logging on the e500 to Auto and you will get entire track you travelled - how accurate it is will depend, as mentioned, on how far you go and how complicated the track/road network is. You can also use Auto detailed which defines corners better. Do not use the lower settings eg 100m, (unless only going very short distance/straight track) as points are lost from the start of the track log once the 2000 point limit is reached. So just keep the e500 going all the time when travelling and download/save as often as possible. The track logs can be all combined in OziExplorer at a later time.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 224892

Reply By: Robin - Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:44

Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:44
HI Birdy

Laptops aren't the easiset to read in sunlight in a car and also I find use of ozi-explorer for that type of thing to be not very effective.
Hence better left to play with at base.

The Ozi raster display with limited zoom means that you cannot easily display a long track and then zoom down to find a critical little detour you took.

There are work arounds to this problem but they are time consuming
and messy.

What I do is simply record the track on GPS - which might be 1000km
long even, then download it to laptop each night (and copy to mem card).

I use one of the original free programs (waypoint+ ) to view plot.

The vector mode of operation means that in a few keystrokes you can see
all of Australia down to seperating which is the right turn at junction.

Don't know that this program is still available - but others may know
or know of similar free track manager program.

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 224901

Reply By: pprass - Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 14:13

Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 14:13
"Not too keen on having to mount the laptop somewhere where it can be seen whilst driving, or under the seat running to a smalller LCD screen mounted on the dash."

If you want moving map with a laptop, then they are about the only options that you have. You can use a PDA of coarse, but that to me is not much better than using your mapping GPS - regarding size of screen.

We have a 10' Liliput touch screen attached to the pasenger side dash, which works very well with the laptop sitting under the seat on a foam slab. The screen is hard to read sometimes, depending on the angle of the sunlight, but in those cases we just pull the screen off the dash and use it like a book. We much prefer to run Discover Aus Streets & Tracks (DAST) rather than OziExplorer, because with DAST you can very easily zoom in and out (easier than Ozi) and see the big picture. Also by placing your scribe or finger over the streets and tracks and other features, it tells you the names of those features - invaluable information when you need to make a quick decision.
AnswerID: 224913

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 14:18

Friday, Mar 02, 2007 at 14:18
if you have DAST have you tried the freebie Magellan program Mapsend. Having researched a new GPS and somewhat decided on an Explorist 400/500/600, "Mapsend Lite V2" sounds like it does what you want using DAST as the maps. Haven't seen it in action so can't comment on whether it's any good.

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 224917

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 07:43

Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 07:43
Birdy

I have most of the gear. I only use moving map in diifficult terrain or off track situations. For the run of the mill outback tracks I print paper maps of my intended route, off my Hema or Natmap Raster in my laptop.

I did the whole gamut of trying to put the laptop somewhere. A mate even built me an extended steel arm but I found that nothing suited me and not even the RAM mounted devices as used in boats. After about three years of mucking about with a variety of designs, I hit on the idea of buillding a desktop on the dashboard. The desk is comes out level from the dash and is supported by a leg which is cutaway so that I can reach and operate all the gearlevers with ease. I used existing bolt holes on the leg but tek screwed the top in to the dash(yes very rough, I know...lol). The desk is colourcoded. My GPS and laptop work in unison when I need to run the computer. Otherwise the GPS does its work on its own.
The desktop also supports the Satphone, Mobile phone and UHF microphone.

I never store anything electrical under the seat as the chances are that you may get water coming in there even without trying to be extreme.

PDA and other devices are OK if you are young and have good eyesight.

You can let the GPS plot your path and download the track file to your maps at any time without having to run the laptop all of the time.

Cheers

AnswerID: 225016

Sponsored Links