Tyre Rotation

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 07:16
ThreadID: 4287 Views:2662 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Do you rotate tyres back to front diagonally or in line.

Cheers

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:36

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:36
front to rear on same side...

Bloke at ARB said this was the best idea as the belts or somethign get spun into one direction and if you change them around the other way, becomes a pain to balance as the belts get losened or something like that... So thats what Ive been doing.. No problems so far..
AnswerID: 17109

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:08

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:08
What if you want to incorporate the spare ?

Last set I left the spare out of the equation and then when I had to use it, well basically it chopped the bleep out of itself due to the extra grip. Must put some strain on drivetrain too with additional (although minimal) height.Do or Do Not - there is no try !
FollowupID: 10680

Reply By: Dion - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:05

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:05
Rocaj,
buy a second spare rim and tyre, which is handy in any case. Rotation can then be carried out all on one side each, front to rear, rear becomes spare and spare to front. Freshly balance spare's before they go on front. To avoid confusion, mark the inside of each rim with something like 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, 3L, 3R and you can't go wrong.

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 17116

Reply By: Dion - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:14

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:14
Rocaj,
buy a second spare rim and tyre, which is handy in any case. Rotation can then be carried out all on one side each, front to rear, rear becomes spare and spare to front. Freshly balance spare's before they go on front. To avoid confusion, mark the inside of each rim with something like 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, 3L, 3R and you can't go wrong.

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 17117

Reply By: Dion - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:16

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:16
Rocaj,

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 17118

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:41

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:41
as a lot of big cars com/falcon and fourbys seem to wear a little more on the out side left even with alignments if you keep rotating front to back on the same side you give the front left no chance of wearing better so i always bring back to front. as in back left to front left. back right to front right.then i swap fronts to back .as in front left to back right and front right to back left.now i usually only swap the spare if one tyre is getting down a bit othere wise keep it there saves buying 5 tyres when the time comes.now someone said something about putting new spare on and chewed out because of different diameter.but a spare is just that a spare if you get a puncture get it repaired straight away and put back on the car.been doing this for over 15 years with out a problem.regarding bit about belts wearing a certain way and coming loose(guy from arb)only ever seen it a cpl of times on cheap crappy tyres.
AnswerID: 17123

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 15:38

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 15:38
This is a bit like Nissan v Toyota isn't it?

My reasoning is that if you rotate all 5 tyres then you will need to replace them a lot later than by just rotating 4, but yes you will have to buy five replacements. As well I'm not too keen on the spare sitting in full sun for years on end before getting used (a bit watery I know but must be a small amount of merit)
I live 500 km's plus from next town and can easily complete 1000 km's or more, depending on time of day, before a chance to fix the damaged tyre so I see merit in the argument for rotating all 5 tyres. As I stated, I tried the other method and a new BFG A/T looked like the others after a smidgeon over a thousand Km's (no chance to fix on GRR & Kalumburu).
Also if you decide to change tyre style, brand or diameter then you haven't got a useless spare hanging around the shed.
Can see the other point of view entirely but as always there's 2 sides to the coin and I just wanted to share mine. Not picking an argument by any means.Do or Do Not - there is no try !
FollowupID: 10690

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 20:14

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 20:14
i guess i must appologize wasnt thinking about people like your self was thinking more big towns.where the local tyre place is just around a cornerlooking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10711

Reply By: Paul - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 22:28

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 22:28
Away from full 4WD conditions, but I havecompleted the last 9 yrs of the RFDS Trek in a 1966 2WD on only dirt/4WD traks.

In the last 5 years we have, each year, put 2 new BFG A/T on the front - then transfered the old front onto the rear/back and taken the best of the others as the 2 spares.... We complete about 3 or 4 thousand km in a week or so and we have not (touch wood) had a single flat in 4 of the last 5 years.

I recond its all to do with the age of the walls and not all the rest....

Hope we are on the best trak!!!!!
AnswerID: 17179

Reply By: Dion - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 14:07

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 14:07
Using the method I explained above (three times instead of just the once), I have 75000 km on my Rodeo with the original tyres, it's about to get traded in in a couple of weeks still on the original tyres apart from the one extra new tyre I brought to make the second spare.
My method also keeps all tyres within 10000 km of each other, I just ain't keen enough to do this every 5000 km.
If I was keeping the Rodeo longer (this will work with the new Rodeo), when the tyres get to replacing, whichever set are on the rear are those with the most km on them, ie always 10000 km ahead of the front's and two spares. I would when removing these wheels, buy two new tyres then. 10000 km later when rotation comes around again, I would buy another two, then fit the four new to vehicle. After another 10000 km, buy two more, fit to last two rims and put onto the front. This then staggers out purchasing tyres to two at a time, 10000 km apart, so that is over 12 months.
The only time there will be more than 10000 km mismatch is when having brought the second pair, and fitted four new, the spares are down to their last, due for replacement. However risk of tyre problems in the newer (<10000 km) is less.

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 17227

Sponsored Links