No lift but HD shocks

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 15:08
ThreadID: 42881 Views:2356 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Re post 42876.

Firstly thanks to,

djPatrol, Willem, Footloose, Wayne, V8Diesel, Blown4by & to a lesser degree GQ_TUFF (LOL) for your input re suspension upgrade to my GU.

I feel the option best suited to my needs is to "beef up" what I have, by fitting the best shocks I can get, all round + poly air bags to the rear.

Now the question is, what shocks? foam cell, gas, gas over oil or any others? that fit the std hight coils.

This way I will retain the handling & stability of the std car with tougher suspension for the trips and associated loads. This will keep "Her indoors" of my back that the car is still low enough for her short legs to get into (Its her everyday drive car)

I loved Bilstien gas shocks for racing & rallycross cars but are they any good for 4WD's?

Colin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dj Patrol - Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 16:09

Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 16:09
The answer to previous question is yes I fitted Poly Air Bags to my 4.2TD patrol as I tow a heavy van and loaded up in the rear U-Know everything like 3.4 Stessl boat on top of Rhino boatloader,15hp outboard ,tanks fridges, gasbottles, ,tool boxes,BBQ,and everything else on long trips,foldatrailer on front of van,so my load is very large,The bags work great pump up when laden,let down when home,I have since done a full suspension frt & rear springs & shocks Iornman King Springs Rear H/Duty 50mm uplift plus the Poly Air Bags
Std H/Duty Front Springs ARB
Shocks are Nitro/Gas Old Man Emu it has worked out very good for my weight control and excellent handling of the Caravan and rear weight.

Hope this helps you, what you are doing sounds ok.
djpatrol
AnswerID: 225090

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 18:51

Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 18:51
I had my suspension replaced with OME stuff. Not cheap, but a very worthwhile improvement both on and off the road.
I had new (Not OME) shockies on the Padj trip. Lasted as far as Coen before throwing the securing nuts etc. I suspect that they were being asked to do an impossible job :)
When talking tracks such as the CSR, Cape, etc etc even new shocks can kark it. Its all in the way you drive, how much of a load you have, and the lap of the Gods.
Good luck with your decisions.
AnswerID: 225110

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 19:08

Saturday, Mar 03, 2007 at 19:08
Hi Colin - about to do the same. Already had the Polyairs on, for over 15 months.
Just bought Koni series 82 shocks and having them fitted next week (probably with 1/2 turn on the adjustment). Retail around $800.
Check the archieves re Polyair. If kept at pressure all the time, several posts say they will tear/distort the suspension mounts. So - drop them back to 5 psi when-ever van is off......................Keith
AnswerID: 225113

Reply By: Grandpa joe - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 00:43

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 00:43
Hello Colin,
In reply to bilstein shocks, they are fantastic in the way they function being a monotube design although if you are driving on terrain where you are flinging larger stones they need protection from this as the external tube is the same one the piston slides in and any small dint will result in it failing.
I run tough dog's by 4 WAY suspension as they have a very high oil capacity, use thick steel outer tubes and a 22mm shaft down the middle. A shock that holds less oil will usually get much hotter when driving on heavy corrugations for a long period of time, my friend cooked the paint off a front pair of shocks in his IFS Hilux when we were up in the Gulf (were buggered 2 mths later), Also bear in mind that they were aftermarket shockies...........Rancho adjustables which are a very good product but just don't hold enough oil for the IFS model and when you put the adjustable valve block on a small shockie you lose even more oil capacity.
AnswerID: 225165

Sponsored Links