laptop as <span class="highlight">GPS</span>

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 08:39
ThreadID: 42899 Views:2531 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Am I right in thinking that I can use my laptop as a GPS? I would need a receiver, software for the receiver, map software and an inverter to run the laptop.
Would this be cheaper than buying a GPS?
What type and brand of receiver would be best: bluetooth, USB or compact flash?
What map software would be best?
Do I need anything else?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 08:59

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 08:59
You can use your laptop with a GPS but not in place of one so you will not save bauying a GPS.

The laptop is used to run mapping software (say Oziexplorer) but it gets its GPS info from either a hand held GPS which also has a screen or you can use a GPS mouse which is a black box which sits outside the vehicle and connects to the laptop by USB or bluetooth.

These latter GPS need the computer software to display the GPS info as they do not have a screen.

Navigation can be done with just a GPS but the laptop will allow things like moving map, routes, tracks, etc

Remmebr to still always carry hardcopy maps.
AnswerID: 225181

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:07

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:07
Check this out

Site Link
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 225187

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:14

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:14
I forgot to add the other URL for the webpage I have

members.westnet.com.au/dtilley/maps.htm

a GPS has so many other features too over just a laptop that is much bigger and cumbersome

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 225188

Reply By: Member - Douglas M (SA) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:28

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:28
I would have a think about where you will put the laptop. I have travelled quite a few kilometres as a passenger with a GPS enabled laptop on my knee and would rather stay home than do it again! The other alternative would be to have a touch screen mounted on the dash connected to the laptop which would be securely mounted in the car somewhere. But if you are going to go to that much trouble and expense just buy a dedicated gps. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 225190

Reply By: dan26aus - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:42

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:42
Hi there twinkles, the answer is yes,,, it is possible to turn your laptop into a gps. there are a few different options available. Here is one option that i am looking into for myself:

www.gpsoz.com.au/global_sat_bu_353.htm

Cheers

Dan
AnswerID: 225193

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 13:25

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 13:25
Hi Twinkles,

All of our Trek notes have been created and plotted this way.

GPS mouse - worth $100-150 just needs to be hooked up to software and Graphical User Interface (Laptop/pda screen).

The advantages of this are mainly, size of screen and cheaper upgrades as technology changes.
(GPS technology and software changes all the time, its cheaper to just upgrade the GPS unit itself or the software according to your needs. Graphical Interfaces etc change more slowly).
Depending on your setup in vehicle - the laptop may be a bit cumbersome while travelling.
However the EO Vehicle has a mapping/navigation station set up in the front.
Have a look at the images and articles on the site re this,

Site Link

You can call Jackie at the EO shop on Tuesday (Mon is public holiday in WA).

ExplorOz is pretty much at the cutting edge of digital mapping technology if you look around the site a bit. We have the most comprehensive outback maps available online to site users, and we operate a plot swap system for members.
Spend an hour or two browsing these pages.

Site Link

Site Link

hope this helps

cheers

Kerry W
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 225210

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 13:34

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 13:34
Forgot to mention that the digital mapping is fully interactive on the site so you can zoom in and out, select areas to view new maps, Members have the best access though as visitors have a limited number of views.

The shop has latest info and prices on GPS units and Jackie can answer most questions re what works with what.

Kerry W

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 486129

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 13:47

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 13:47
Also notice the price of the BU 353 linked above is quite a bit cheaper in the EO shop.

Site Link

Just had to mention that. - We'll look after you ;-)

cheers

Kerry W
Kerry W (Qld)
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 486130

Reply By: Twinkles - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 16:17

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 16:17
Thanks everyone. i have a clearer picture now. I'll definately look through what OE has to offer. The reason I want to use a laptop for the display is I have one supplied by work and I thought it would be cheaper to use it.
AnswerID: 225225

Reply By: Allan JJ - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 16:47

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 16:47
I find a good setup is:
1. Data logger with gps receiver connected & running all the time while on trips
2. Laptop with mapping software.
3. Handheld gps

With this I can log my whole trip without any fuss at all through the logger, then download at anytime to any pc with the mapping sofware.

I can pug the laptop in at any time via the logger cable from the gps receiver (which has an extra serial plug on it), then open up the moving map software (OZI) for a short time if we get lost of to go up that little track that looks allright.
Most people get keen on the idea of looking at where they are going on the laptop, but after a while the novalty wheres off and it can actually take away the enjoyment of the trip for the pore soul in the passengers seat. It is usually the driver who has the most interest in mapping with laptop and not the rest of your passengers.
The laptop will have all of your trip planning stuff on it, can be used to send & receive waypoints to the hand held unit. Plus all the other stuff like download pics from your digital camera, view saved web pages from trek notes from exploroz :)

The hand held is used for when out of the car and as a backup & used in car when the laptop is packed away.
I plan as much of the trip before I go and send a heap of waypoints to the gps, these can be points of interest, interstections & turns etc.Then print them out, this way you have a backup if you can't get the laptop going (and as always have some paper maps stashed in the car somewhere just in case).
From the mapping software, when you create a waypoint you can add a lot of info to the descriptions such as turn info, phone numbers & contact names more directions, campsite info etc, so this is handy to have printed anyway and will save getting the laptop out a lot.

Allan

AnswerID: 225228

Reply By: Grandpa joe - Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 23:15

Sunday, Mar 04, 2007 at 23:15
I believe that you can damage the hard drive in the laptop if you are using it over bumps and corrugations so the only alternative in this situation would be having a passenger cradle the laptop when moving.

Just something to think about.

I believe solid state units are more dependable under these conditions.

AnswerID: 225320

Reply By: Robin - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:01

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:01
Hi Twinkles

I'd do a little test first , and that would be to take your laptop out to the car when the sun is shining and see if you can actually view the screen.

You may be in for a surprise.

We always take laptop with us , to up and download tracks mostly at end of day , but the difficulty of viewing and handling a laptop in the car meant it was really wasn't viable for us, unless a dedicated station with good protection of the screen from sun was used.

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 225340

Sponsored Links