Where to keep that spare ignition key...........................................

Submitted: Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:22
ThreadID: 42942 Views:5848 Replies:28 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
After yesterdays little mishap, where in a Senior Moment, I misplaced the key, I decided that today I would definitely find a hidey-hole. Trouble is, where to put it?

The key has to be secure and outside the vehicle. So it either has to be tied in the engine bay where you can get at it from underneath, or somewhere along the chassis. These places are problematical however as stones or mud thrown up could dislodge the key. Or the wires could wear through and the key would disappear in the the generous arms of Gaia.

My GQ has those dummy lights at the back of the vehicle and that is a definite place. All you need is a Phillipshead screwdriver to undo the lenses. Most of the time the screwdriver will be inside the vehicle(lol). Now you will have an added problem. A broken lens is replaced from Nissan after handing over $180. So that is an option. My RX also has turning lights on the side of the body and there is another place to hide the key.

All I have to figure out now, is where to keep the screwdriver....:-)))))

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nick R - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:32

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:32
Willie,
Taped to the radiator hose with black tape otherwise Mrs Willem might have to carry the phillips head in her handbag!!!
Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 225487

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:37

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:37
Aahh, if you had the 80 series toyota the spare key would always be on your person as it comes in a credit card size holder that fits perfectly in the wallet ,,, yes yes yes I know "what if the wallet is locked inthe car ",,,,
AnswerID: 225489

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:49

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:49
I don't mind where you put it mate.

Just so long as you put it ... and I'd prefer not to know unless I'm trav'lin in the GQ wif ya.

;-)
AnswerID: 225492

Reply By: Member - Axle - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:54

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:54
Willem

Use Tie wire the one steel fixers use, wont break or wear through, double strand it & tie it up any where underneath. She"LL be right mate" Lol.

Axle.
AnswerID: 225494

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:54

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 19:54
Willem,

What about the top of the front spring tower.

Should not get hit by rocks there but it would have to be secure to the tower.

On the other side the screw driver could be secured, just in case.

Wayne
AnswerID: 225495

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:04

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:04
I put mine in the fridge, next to the ice cream :)
AnswerID: 225497

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:51

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:51
But when the ice cream melts, your key will get yukky........
FollowupID: 486559

Reply By: kimprado - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:10

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:10
Willem Willem Willem....

Not sure what to do with you young fella! How many times have I talked about this?

Take the spare key. Place the thickest wire you can through the top of the key.

Cover the key with a copious amount of reinforced Gaffa tape until it's deemed water proof.

Find an area underneath the car that is least likely to suffer rock or heat damage.

Tie the wire to the selected area and apply copious amounts of gaffa tape to suppport it.

It works in very rough country and I've never lost one.

Regards

Kim

AnswerID: 225498

Reply By: turbopete - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:23

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:23
get a magnetic key holder,,I went all over australia with a key in one
AnswerID: 225501

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:32

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:32
Turbopete,

Must of been a bit cramped with the key, and what make of magnet key holder was it? Nissan or Toyota :-)

Wayne
FollowupID: 486410

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Aust.) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:40

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:40
No I think it was from Engle or was it Waeco no wait it was Coleman, no could have been Eve-cool, aghhh who cares.
FollowupID: 486412

Follow Up By: turbopete - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:45

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:45
twas a 1971 patrol ,now let me explain,,the key was in the plastic container which had a magnet attached to it and i placed the container in/behind the bumper bar whichhhh in those days were made of steel/ metal ,,so the magnet stuck to the bumper,,,,now wayne dont try to stick a magnet to a plastic bumper bar ,,they wont stick,,,if u need any more help please dont hesitate to ask
FollowupID: 486414

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 22:02

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 22:02
We had a metal keyholder and put it on the inside of the chasis of an XC Falcon, It was there that long that one day one of the children, 4yo decided to lock all the doors whilst the keys were in the ignition, in my panic I forgot about the key in the keyholder and a nice gentleman unlocked it with a piece of wire for me, as soon as the door was opened I remembered the key. (no I didn't tell him about it under advice from his neice)
Back in those days 1970s you could go to a country sports day and leave the keys in the car especially when you were sitting on the roo bar watching the game.

So my advice is a keyholder.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 486436

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:35

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:35
Whilst staying in town I had the pleasure of going out on a few breakdown jobs with the
contractors and seeing what happens on the other end of a country breakdown call. Most of these
calls were flat batteries and a couple of lock outs. The most interesting of these calls was on a
warm balmy evening whilst I was enjoying a nice cold beer taking in a magic Kimberley sunset
with Peter (who wasn’t drinking of course) when the mobile sounded. He received a call from
Steve Mantell about a Budget Landcruiser with a lock out at a Emma Gorge resort, approximately
110kms from Kununurra, 40kms of which was on the Gibb River road.
The call was received at about 1800 on the Tuesday night and an ETA of roughly 2000 was given. So it was all
systems go as we checked the Mazda 4X4 to make sure he had the appropriate gear to get into this late model
Landcruiser, then off we drove. As we were travelling out to the job, Peter explained that because of the vastness of
the country, most of the huge outback stations don’t have fencing adjoining the highways, so at night time the risk
factor for hitting cows, kangaroos and emus rises significantly.
When we were getting close to the Gibb River turn off I noticed some quite large bushfires and scrub fires burning
out of control, I was thinking what the! And where’s the fire trucks? As Peter explained “oh no, they just let the fires
burn up here because there’s no way of controlling them because the terrain is too difficult to get to them so they just
let them burn out on their own accord, no matter how many hectares is burnt”. Interesting I thought.
Having finally turned on to the Gibb River road and heading towards Emma Gorge Resort it didn’t take long for the
first roo to come bounding out in front of us, no worries, we pulled up in time and let it go on. The ruts on the gravel
road were very deep to say the least, which in turn made the car slide very easily if not driven correctly.
Then there were a few creek crossings which weren’t too bad and the other difficulty was
trying to see the road when another car passed, the dust just sat idly over the gravel on what
felt like a warm summers evening-but it was the middle of August.
We arrived at Emma Gorge resort and went around to the beautiful outdoor area where the
restaurant was built around the base of a Boab tree, which in turn had lighting beaming out
from its roots, it was a truly magic setting.
We went to the bar and shouted “who’s the guy with lock out in the Landcruiser”. Laughter
was heard from many quarter’s when finally this English gentlemen quipped, “I’m here, I’ll take you to the car”. The
laughter continued and someone said, “fancy getting help all the way out here for a lock out”. Peter took about 2
minutes to get into the car and subtly advised the driver to be a little more cautious next time, especially considering
where he was. As he was doing the paper work with the Budget customer I went for a walk and couldn’t help notice
the amount of 4WD’s lined up at the resort, in one car park I counted about 35 Landcruisers in a row, it looked like a
Toyota dealership!!

Join the AANT ...LOL
AnswerID: 225503

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:37

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:37
IS a piece out of the RAC Monthly Newsletter...See we even go 220 klms for a lock out...
FollowupID: 486411

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:29

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:29
35 Cruisers in a row? You should hang around with a better class of people hahahahaha
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 486555

Reply By: furph - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:58

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 20:58
Drill a hole through somewhere you wont forget, A 1"x 1/4" ss screw and nut to hold it in place, the key, then a 1/4" wingnut done up pretty well to keep it there.
I have lost spare keys through the wire/cable tie vibrating through, my method is permanent (out of the way of flying rocks of course)
furph
AnswerID: 225505

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:02

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:02
Willem,

Wot can I say......firstly you should have paid them off.

Those that were there watching when you 'lost' your keys.......you know Des/Roachie et al. Cash would have secured your secret from EO members at least.

You would not then have to look for a 'hidey hole'.

Answer.. spare key on a piece of string/leather/whatever tied around your neck,
yep around your neck......should never go missin' again.....LOL LOL

You are just too honest...LOL LOL LOL

Michael
AnswerID: 225507

Follow Up By: Member - Grub S/shine Coast - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:07

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:07
I just put mind in the spare wheel cover and wrapped in tape, this way you don't need any tools to remove the spare key
FollowupID: 486415

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:15

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:15
Think.....if you hide it on the vehicle....so anyone or everyone can find it...whats the point.....I agree with Michael, and this is exactly what I do...on a chain or string around my neck...if its a immobilizer type....one of those plastic seal bags designed to even protect mobile phones, in your knapsack or pocket.
FollowupID: 486421

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:06

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:06
Michael, No amount of money could keep us quiet about that.
FollowupID: 486508

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:27

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:27
Hi had a basic spare cut and drilled a 6mm hole through the head, wrap it in electrical tape and used a 6mm stainless bolt and with a spring washer, drill a hole some where in behind bull bar or rear bumper etc and bolt it on, and keep a spare in my wallet.
Just have to remember you have put them ,I locked my self out one day and had forgotten i had to spares hidden away after i used my wifes key spare key.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 225513

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:34

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 21:34
Should read 6 MM S/S BOLT and "WINGNUT" and SPRINGWASHER.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 486429

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 22:14

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 22:14
The 78/79series don't have transponder keys, so copies only cost $6. I keep a spare in the wallet, and another hidden outside the vehicle. Theres a million places to hide a key - inside the chassis rail, fixed with fine wire is something I've used in the past.

When I had a Prado, I hid a transponder key inside the vehicle. But I also had a cheap non-transponder key cut (opens only the doors) and had this hidden on the outside. So if someone found the key, they could get in but not drive it.

But its another use for fencing wire - I had to break into a mate's 60series on Fogarty's Claypan after he locked keys in car about 100k's from civilisation - its something that you only do once :-))

Another time I was in a largeish convoy in the Strezlecki Desert, and a 75series LandCruiser owner did it - we just got everyone to try their Toyota keys, and sure enough someone had a key that worked.
AnswerID: 225518

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 22:38

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 22:38
Only after owning an FJ62 for about 4 years did I discover a spare key taped to the tie rod. The tape wasn't so much sticky with glue, like gaffer tape, but was really gooey rubbery stuff that stuck very well, (almost like ultra heavy heat shrink).

The head of the key was bent slightly so it wouldn't protrude, hence I never saw it.
AnswerID: 225527

Reply By: Dave198 - Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 23:26

Monday, Mar 05, 2007 at 23:26
Willem, Triumph Heralds (showing my age) used to come from the factory with a spare key in the rear tailight. They never put that info in the owners manual so most people never knew.

Just change a phillips head to a straight screw head and you can undo it with a coin or maybe a nailfile.

Don't put it too far under the car, Murphy says it will be raining when you need to get under to get it.

Dave
AnswerID: 225536

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:12

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:12
Hi Willem ...............

A coupla more alternatives, mate :

1 / Remove one screw from your numberplate, drill a hole same size in the key and replace numberplate with the key BEHIND the plate. Disguise any visible portion with a small bit of BluTac embedded with dirt. As before said .... use a slot-head SS self-tapper ...... then any coin, knife, flat steel something will undo it.

2 / Tape a spare to the top of your snorkel with 'self-amalgamating tape,' so that it looks like you have made a temporary repair to said snorkel. Black on black and most unobtrusive.
[Better still, tape it to your vehicle snorkel instead ????]

Or, for real insurance ............ do 'em both.
AnswerID: 225548

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 07:26

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 07:26
Thanks for all the good advice here on the forum, MM's and private emails. I will take it all on board.

Some of the advice is problematical however. I tend to go off on off track excursions from time to time so the front numberplate takes a hammering. I have a lot of sticks and foliage brush up against the chassis on these excursions and it could be a that even something taped to the chassis rail could disappear.

In the past I have always driven old bangers and have never had the need for a spare key as I could Hot Wire the truck in an emergency. Now that I have this new modern 1994 GQ I am all at sea with electric windows, central locking and locking steering wheel...lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 225557

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:23

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:23
Yep, the old FJ55 was bullet proof until the rust got to it.
FollowupID: 486477

Follow Up By: steve&anja - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:19

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:19
Hi Willem just got back from Darwin, stuck in there for a week due to flooding up here.
My spare key is between the fuel line and the chassis held with big cable tie, as you know the Jim Jim track is rough Ive had no trouble as yet.
cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 486594

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:33

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:33
Thanks Steve

Bloody hell, you have had some rain up there!!! Someone mentioned 560mm!! Is that right? No one is going bush for a while.

Cheers
FollowupID: 486601

Follow Up By: steve&anja - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:49

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:49
We've had in jabiru 4 days at 300mm or more Oenpelli had 900mm+ in 4 days, I crossed the west Alligator and wildman rivers last wed at 1mtr both stretches were about 1.5 km long they clossed the Arnhem hwy after I went through.
The next day they clossed the Kakadu hwy until this morning, When I came home today I was blown away I've never seen so much water here in 32 years.
FollowupID: 486610

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:59

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 21:59
Steve

Unbelievable!!!

I relate to all of that having seen the water over the Adelaide River Bridge on the Arnhem Hwy some years back. My mate Blumsie must be flooded out well and truly this time. But he has purpose built that place near the bridge with things that float.

I remember one wet season driving somewhere in Kakadu with the water over the bonnet of the Suzuki for a couple of kilometres and getting everything wet inside the cabin...lol

And according to the weather chart it is still raining!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 486612

Follow Up By: steve&anja - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 22:06

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 22:06
It went over again this morning so I hope blumsie is insured, I will join as a member in the next couple of days and put some photo's on and show everyone.
Yep it's sill pouring as I type.
Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 486616

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:31

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:31
get a leatherman on your belt man......they come with phillipshead driver as standard equipment.....

another option is to get a spare key cut minus the head to fit in your wallet.......if you have a key with a mobiliser chip then still get a key cut but stash a spare key with mobiliser inside of car......this will allow you to at least get inside the car to search for spare if needed
AnswerID: 225568

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:41

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:41
Nah don't wear those ponchy things like knives and leathermen around me waist. Pants fall down naturally and having to hang stuff off pants will be even more disastrous.

Trouble with wallet is I don't have it in pocket out bush. It is normally stashed somewhere in the vehicle.

I don't wear jewellery or a watch so can't hang around my neck or wrist. Can't hide it shoes as I normally only wear thongs.

Maybe I can hide it in my cap...now thats an idea...as I always wear one to keep the sun's rays from the landing strip.

Cheers
FollowupID: 486479

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:03

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:03
thats why one needs to put it on a belt....
oh but i see your problem....one needs a body (with a pair of hips) even to support a belt

Yep I leave wallet in car also....I must remember not get caught out

as for shoes ...it makes you limp.....as though you have a sore foot/leg i mean.....

FollowupID: 486497

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:11

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:11
Jeez- all these hi-tech solutions !! What about 6" fencing wire with a couple of half-hitches up under the chassis.?? Just checked under mine (still there) and it's been there for nearly 7 years.
AnswerID: 225575

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:24

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:24
Ahhhhhhhhh yes a senior moment .................... there are some good suggestions on here ............ the only problem with a senior moment is to remember where you hide the bloody key LOL .............

The problem with my vehicle is I have to many good places to hide things. Of course I have enough problems just putting my keys down at home and then remembering where I put them.

Just remember to take a spare to the gathering ............ I'm sure you would not want everyone on hand helping you out of a senior moment ........ then again I guess we would not say anything ..... much :) :) :).

Brian
AnswerID: 225577

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:55

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:55
Good idea is to get a piece of 1 inch clear plastic tube about 3 inch long, and about 1/2 inch from one end cut/drill a hole through the centre of both walls.

Place the key into the plastic tube with the hole in the plastic tube and the hole in the key level with the key protected by the plastic tube and place a 'black plastic tie strip' through the hole in the plastic and the key which will hold the key in place inside the plastic tube.
This will stop any damage to the key from flying stones under the vehicle.

Tie the 'black plastic tie strip' around some part of the underbody, this will hold the plastic tube/key stable and where you want it, tie it in place close to the side/front or side/back of the vehicle, because you have to lay on the ground and cut the 'black plastic tie' to retrieve the key when you lock the original in the vehicle.

It works for me sometimes twice a year lol
AnswerID: 225580

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:10

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:10
beware....cable ties break down...over time they become hard and brittle...time is shortened depending on exposure to the elements
FollowupID: 486499

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:16

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:16
That's one reason to use UV safe ties and tie them out of the direct way of stones.

When you have to retrieve the 'spare' key each year or so you replace the black tie anyway, it's worked for me for over 11 years, I still have the same piece of plastic tube and spare key, just have to keep replacing the ties when I cut the spare key free every now n then lol.
FollowupID: 486503

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:13

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:13
Willem, as we know, you never had the car locked in the first place and why do you need to lock it anyway when your out in the bush.

Just ignore all the other advice as you and I know the perfect hiding place. Just leave the key on the front seat and throw your jumper over it. It worked last time didn't it?
LOL :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cheers Donut.
AnswerID: 225588

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:35

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:35
why didnt he just get in thru the sun roof?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 486557

Reply By: True Blue - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 13:03

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 13:03
Fascinating web site Willem.
Was a motorcyclist for 34 years and did countless local, country and interstate trips on the bike. I was paranoid about loosing the key somewhere out in the middle of no where, so just simply tied the spare around the neck and after a few moments you would get used to it and forget it's there until you stripped off.
Never lost one in that time. Keep it on your person and then you can check it's location any time you think of it.
All the best, Wayne.
AnswerID: 225605

Reply By: whyallacookie - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:49

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:49
Went to replace the worn number plates on my Rocky, Drilled out the rivets holding it to the bullbar and off drops a spare key.

Wonder what else the previous owner(s) missus use to keep in her handbag!
AnswerID: 225638

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:50

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:50
Would it be an insurance issue if some body happened to find the key and drive off in you pride and joy ??? I have heard this but could be all pub talk. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 225639

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:24

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 18:24
Problem solvered, try this Willem.

close up for OLD EYES

OH NO Indeed

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 225659

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 19:42

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 19:42
Willem,

As to where to keep the phillips screwdriver - get a Leatherman 'wave' or 'charge' - great seletion of drivers in these tools - they come with a pouch for your belt. :-)
AnswerID: 225673

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2007 at 07:57

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2007 at 07:57
Hey I'll embarass myself!

Went to the local hardware a couple of years ago, dropped the keys in the boot of the wifes crumbledoor, took out the kid seat in the back, crawled through into the boot, rumaged around to find the keys so I could drive home, put the seat back in (all on a 40 degree day), then remembered the boot open button in the glovebox!

Felt very clever.
AnswerID: 225749

Sponsored Links