Fuel filter on Tdi Jackaroo

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 16:07
ThreadID: 4296 Views:5839 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Could somebody please tell me where the fuel filter is on my 1999 3.0l tdi Jackaroo? How often should I change and is it like the main oil filter in that I have to buy Holden genuine?
Incidentally I had the alternator fail on a recent across Australia trip, no apparent reason and vehicle has done 75,000 km. Auto elec in Melbourne tried for two days to source parts, but was told could only get complete genuine alternator at nearly $1,000 ! He ended up fittng me a recond alternator of same capaciy from a Nissan Skyline!. All up cost $230.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Darian - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 17:29

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 17:29
Keith....beginning to think Holden Suck ? The diesel filter is a little spin on job - looks like a little black oil filter - on the passengers side of the engine bay - right up high - under a bracket arrangement - looks very hard to get to - my mechanic has changed a couple for me - will have to ask him the the easiest way to get into it (I don't go to Holden any more of course). Surprisingly, this little filter is really cheap
at Holden - about $13 or near to it I think. I always carry a spare - probably two in the bush. Now the oil filter is really funny - I was quoted $63 for the main filter the other day at Holden. Eventually got it, plus
the small (secondary) filter too (non genuine) for $40 all up (trade discount). Isn't it great to be considered an A grade sucker by some commercial sectors ? (I won't bore you with some of my in-warranty period servicing stories).
AnswerID: 17147

Follow Up By: Member - NOBBY - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 18:21

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 18:21
Darian.. I had the same problem with my 40k Service. Rang Zupps in Bris and was told the service was a " Big One" and would cost approx. $500 with wheel alignment. Thought this was a bit steep so I rang Armstrong Holden and got the same price. I then rang Tony Motson Motors ( who specialize in 4wd) and they said the price as per the Warranty Book plus al. would cost $314. They obviously got the job and the Jack has never run better. What makes it even sweeter is that the blokes at Motsons are half decent and will have a yarn to you about your car. I had some trouble with Wheel Alignments about a month ago and these blokes have sorted that out( Beaurepairs could'nt after three attempts). Bottom line is it pays to shop around and then let everyone know if they find someone honest.
FollowupID: 10706

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 22:48

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 22:48
reply for nobby so you might have that wheel alignment sorted then good to hearlooking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10722

Reply By: CJ - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 17:56

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 17:56
Keith

The filter is located as explained above. The easiiest is to remove the protective plate (two nuts I think) which will give you very easy access to the filter.

I had difficulty bleeding the air out of thye system. I even filled the filter with diesel before I put it on, and pumped the system until I was blue in the face, but the car would not start. Eventually after I pressured the fuel tank with a compresser (and a jump from another battery) did I manage to start the car

Does any1 have advice on how to get the air out in a modern engine?

regards

cj
AnswerID: 17148

Follow Up By: Keith - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 18:30

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 18:30
Thanks Darian and CJ i will check out the filter tonight. Darian- I agree I'm not impressed with Holden's abilty to provide aftersales support for this vehicle. Before leaving in late December I tried to source a set of belts for the Jackaroo. I tried every Holden dealer in Perth and all I found was one a/c belt for which I had to pay nearly $70. This combined with the cold starting/injector seal saga, their total inability to provide any service support (last service by Holden dealer reported that spark plugs had been replaced!!) has me seriously wondering whether it was a good buy.
FollowupID: 10707

Reply By: Member - Darian - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 19:28

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 19:28
Touch wood, my 99 TDi is still going well (65k). Great to hear about your alternator success. I have a spare set of non genuine (Bosch) belts - think I got the numbers off the genuines and
sourced the Bosches from a parts retailer - they can compare numbers and supply to the same specs. Funny thing is, the genuines can be the same make as the nons, at twice the price (of course) ! Thanks for the Jack posts - we owners need to communicate (and don't be daunted by Patrol and Tojo volume on this forum - they get screwed too :o)Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 17153

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 19:35

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 19:35
You guys are right about the Jack prices, I brought a water pump belt for the 3.0L TD from Holden $80 trade because no one had a listing for it.
had to be ordred for me, when it came it was a gates branded belt you can get any where for $15. Naturaly it went back.
AnswerID: 17155

Follow Up By: Colin - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 23:17

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 23:17
I am having trouble sourcing belts for my 2000TDI Jack, and the local rip off Holden Dealer hasn't got any in stock, or radiator hoses for that matter. Do you have the part number for the belts that you bought? Would help lots if I could get the part number and source them before I head off for three weeks in SA.

Regards,

Col
FollowupID: 10723

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:12

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:12
Colin, the belts are 11A 0990 for the alt. water pump and 13A 1260 for the air con.
If you go into any spare parts or auto elec. shop they will have them on the wall ready to go. (and a lot cheaper than Holden)
Enjoy the trip.
Will
PS. I have a list from Holden with the oil specifications (listing different brands and viscosities) that are recommended for the Jack TD.
I can email it to you if you want.
AnswerID: 17199

Reply By: Member - Darian - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:24

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:24
Just remembered - be prepared for a shock if you want a spare set of rad hoses for the Jack from Holden - they are quite short - bugger all material in them - $40 each !
If you can, hunt down an alternative - in my haste (scooting off on a trip), I got burnt - not again if I can help it.Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 17200

Follow Up By: Colin - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 21:46

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 21:46
Darian,

Belts:
Thanks for those specs. I will use them tomorrow. I am a member of the Jackaroo club, and will pass this on to other owners as well.

Oils:
We had an expert out from Castrol as a guest speaker recently, and he recommended either FMX Magnatec or Formula R 3W30 Synthetic, which is what I use.

Hoses:
I forked out $40 for a bottom hose, and have not been able to find a top hose.Looking at it and if worse came to worse it would not be hard to modify another similar top hose, but the bottom one would be impossible.

Oil Filter:
Do you know if there is an alternative Oil Filter out there? I am sick of paying $43 for the genuine thing, when everyone else pays no more than $15!

Regards,

Col
FollowupID: 10774

Follow Up By: Urs - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 22:16

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 22:16
Darian,
I just had my 2002 3.0l into Zupps for the 5k first service, I asked for them to put TXT softec oil but when I picked the car up, I found that they filled the crankcase (overfilled by the way!) with XT 10-30 (CAstrol), which is a cheaper oil but they said it was the oil that was recommended by Holden. I rang Castrol tu enquire about it and ws told that XT 10-30 was good enough but they said if I could afford it the Formula R 5W-30 (fully synthetic) would be the prefered oil, I was told that it supersedes the TXT softec and at roughly 50 Dollars for 5 litres it is not cheap but the way I look at it is, repairs to the engine would be a lot more expensive than the little savings made on the cheaper oil. I was lucky, Super Cheap had a sale on with 20% off everything and I went ahead and bought the Formula R 5W-30 and changed it ! I also found that they never topped up the cooling fluid, the bottle was empty apart from a few drops in the bottom.
When I bought the car, I found that the tyre pressure was only 20 psi, this shows how serious they take the pre-delivery service, the price goes up while the quality of the service comes down.
I ones bought a Fairmont which was 1 year old and had 30,000 k's on it, when I took it for a test drive I felt straight away that there was something wrong with the steering, a closer inspection revealed that the front tyres were totally worn out on the inside and had to be replaced, a simple wheel alignment fixed the problem! The car just had the 30,000k service performed a week earlier at Sushine Ford on the Gold Coast and they didn't pick up the worn tyres, what about the 20,000 and 10,000 k services! I think these dealers sit on their arse in the office, sipping coffee and ticking of the items on the servicing list without checking them and we are paying our hard earned money for it, if it wasn't for the warranty, I would do the servicing myself, at least I would know it was done properly!
Cheers Urs
FollowupID: 11386

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:10

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:10
Colin,
Either Z79A Ryco or VO 5 valvoline or similar.
That is the one that you change every service, I don't know of a replacement for the "lifetime" (large one) oil filter.
Will
AnswerID: 17252

Follow Up By: Member - Darian - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 08:43

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 08:43
Er........ we'd better get something straight here.....when I started dealing with Holden post purchase, from their computer system it emerged that the Jack TD has two oil filters. A big one on the drivers side (45 degrees - hole facing up) and smaller one on the passengers side, hole facing down. Their Isuzu specs said that the small one stayed on the motor for ever (only changed) when the engine had a major overhaul). The big one is changed at each 10k service.
I can't find an after market for the big one - have contacted Ryco - for the small one, you can use the Ryco Z79a as mentioned above.
Call me crazy, but I'm "over-servicing" at present - on Magnatec 10W-40 at present - I change at 5k intervals.
Big filter is changed each 5K - smaller one each 10k.
Its either that or go full synthetic (Dynamax) and change everything at 10k - can't decide whats better - the latter is about $35 per 10K cheaper.
I keep my cars for years.Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
FollowupID: 10792

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 08:50

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 08:50
Darian I was told the opposite, will investigate further.
Will
AnswerID: 17270

Follow Up By: Keith - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:34

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:34
My understanding is same as Darian - "main" oil filter is the larger one for which their is no non-genuine available (Repco told me that Ryco showed one under development). The service requirements show smaller one, for which a Ryco is available, need only be changed at engine rebuild, but like Darian I change it every 10k and am using Magnetec 10w40
BTW found the fuel filter - how could I have missed it!!
FollowupID: 10803

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:39

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:39
Hi Guys, checked with the Holden dealer he said small filter is the service item and the large one is the one to be replaced if engine rebuild ect.
Holden trade price $22 ryco about $8
guess which one I'm using?
Will
AnswerID: 17348

Reply By: damien - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:57

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:57
Hi Guys,
I get continually frustrated at having to pay nearly $50 for the main (large) filter.
I originally started changing this filter every 5k, but now only do it at each 10k service.
The large filter is replaced by Holden every 10k & the small one was just replaced by Holden at 40K (major service) - i changed it myself at 20k.
AnswerID: 17364

Sponsored Links