Hi-Lift suspension

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 23:56
ThreadID: 4305 Views:2139 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have read several submissions regarding Hi-Lift suspension systems for landcruiser 100 series. Please forgive me but i am still confused!!!

I have a 100 series Turbo Diesel fitted with IFS. The car is fitted with an alloy bullbar, winch, towbar, storage draw system, fridge and recovery equipment. I go off road quite regularly and find that i tend to scrape the underbody and towbar on departure. I believe the weight of the extras may be adding to the problem.

I am looking at the possibility of raising the suspension but am getting conflicting reports. Some tell me that i can get a 50mm lift, whilst others tell me that i might only get a 10mm lift.

Apart from that, i am unclear as to what brands to go for, or better yet, which ones to AVOID...

I am driving on BFG All terrain 185/75/16 tyres, giving me 31inch diameter.... Could i put on 33inch or 35inch tyres without incurring further problems???

Does anyone have experience with the IFS Turbo Diesel 100 series landcruiser that can give me some advice???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 00:24

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 00:24
hi first thing im bye no way an expert on suspension ect but its what i do at the tyre place i work at.first thing i would od is fit h/d torsion bars pedders would be the way to go as any one elses are made bye pedders any way.would not recomend getting front lifted by tortion bars any more than 30mm.ifs funny that way .fit 50mmh/d coils in rear as you have a fair bit in the back and that sould do suspention wise and shockers is a hole other kettle of fish.now tyres 33" will fit with no trouble but will be unroadworthy as they are more than 15mm bigger in diameter over standard size tyre .with the coils and front lift should be enough to get you through most every day stuff but if your really going in to the hard stuff you can go as big in the tyre and the highest lift that you want to go but that involves engineers report and insuance hastles. hope this is of some help to youlooking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17193

Reply By: Drew - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:59

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:59
Once again, no expert. I have a 100 Series Petrol with similar gear setup plus LPG. I fitted TJMs XGS Shocks and coils soon after purchasing the vehicle. Heavy duty rear end springs and medium duty front as the major part of the load is in the back. Nice firm ride, 2.5 inch lift all round. I have since fitted 285/75/16 Cooper SureTrac tyres to the normal rims and that has subsequently given another inch or so I guess. Overall vehicle height with no racks on is a shade (and I mean a shade) under 2 Mtrs.

I am happy with the setup but there is a steering/feel tradeoff for sure. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 17198

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:01

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:01
To go with 33's from 31's you need an engineers Certificate

Goto your local Pedders dealer and talk with them, they do lots of Bread boxes.

IFS/Torsion bars are the biggest downer in the history of offroad suspension.. Makes it a world of hurt to do lifts, as in expensive... IFS may be wonderful on a car to take the kids to school, but thats where it ends!
AnswerID: 17209

Reply By: Peter L - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 17:06

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 17:06
Landcruiser,
heavy duty coils to provide a 2" lift are the way to go for the rear.
As for the front -have you adjusted the oem torsion bars yet?
If not then do that first (but take the load off the front wheels before adjusting)

Peter
AnswerID: 17236

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:38

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:38
Before you do a lift.... read this
Guy did a 50mm lift on a 100 and his insurance was cancelled immediatly.

http://forums.overlander.com.au/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=1406&highlight_key=y&keyword1=50mm%20&keyword2=lift

G'day all. My 100 series was looking sad in the suspension department when I returned from my NT adventure, solution? Fit new springs and shocks. The rubber bump stops were clearly damaged, replace those too. To stop this from occuring again I decided a 50mm spring lift would help. Ordered the springs and shocks, MMmmmm, better notify the insurance company of modification and ....... we are so sorry Mr Fang but if you are going to raise your suspension we can no longer insure your vehicle. If you raise your vehicle and fail to notify us we will not honour any claims made! I have now been forced to look for other insurance companies that will cover the vehicle off road and with a 50mm spring lift. I've had one quote but it will cost me and additional $170.00 per year! The offending insurance company? Australian Alliance (also incorporates Australian Pensioners Insurance Agency). There may be other insurance companies out there with the same policy. Can anyone recommend a better insurance company for 4WD's.

FollowupID: 10778

Sponsored Links