New Member <span class="highlight">GPS</span> Software Question

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 14:04
ThreadID: 43286 Views:2131 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just became a member after 12 month on the sideline. Think its great value for money with all the information available. Talking of that I have a question.
I have a Megellan Gold which works well.
However the software that come with it (Discover Aus) while it has lots of good info I can upload (Map regions waypoints routes) it seems to take only Lat and Long co-ordinates and not UTM? Is there away around this? or am I doing something wrong (software and GPS around 2.5 years old)

Rgds
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 14:33

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 14:33
I think you can use the GPS to convert to UTM.
AnswerID: 227650

Follow Up By: Member - ian E (WA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 15:00

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 15:00
Thanks Tony had not thought of that, but it does make it a long winded process then.

I like to plan my trips on my pc as the screens bigger and the interface on the Discover Aus is not bad. and 4 out of 5 times I can place the waypoints by looking at the map but it would be nice to just put the co-ordinates in

Rgds
Ian
FollowupID: 488390

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 15:29

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 15:29
Hello - yes DiscoverAus has a few limitations - one is your stuck with lat/long and two is the datum is always WGS84 (~same as GDA94 so no big deal unless you have coords in Aus84 or 66). You can use Mapsend Lite v2 with DiscoverAus maps ...it has lat/long or UTM readout for the cursor position but strangely waypoints are still listed in lat/long even if you have readout of cursor position set to UTM. This however maybe enough for you?? Mapsend Lite v2 is a free download from magellan website or www.gpsoz.com.au

If you are half serious about GPS mapping OziExplorer is the way to go - it has every function you are likely to need plus heaps more. It allows input of waypoints in many coordinate systems (UTM and lat/long to name just 2) and in any datum you are likely to find.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 227659

Follow Up By: Member - ian E (WA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 16:28

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 16:28
Thanks Greg,
I suspected as much but was hoping otherwise. I will down load a copy of the MApsend Lite and try it out.

Trying to resist the laptop in the 4be but may have to go that way.

Rgds
Ian
FollowupID: 488409

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 22:30

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 22:30
Ian

Garmin map software has 36 Grid settings UTM is one of them, just another reason why I swear by Garmin but as most people use Lat ,Long what's the main use of UTM , I know i could go look it up but what's your reason, my StreetSmart Perth directory has AMG and MGA Co-Ords and i believe UBD uses something else , maybe UTM

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 227748

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 23:33

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 23:33
Hello Doug..curious as to the source of stats relating to your statement

"but as most people use Lat ,Long"

Maybe true - I certainly wouldnt be game to guess myself (not suggesting you are guessing ..but I would have to). UTM is certainly used a lot in the exploration/mining industry..possibly to make it easier for the maths ...as its all in metres...e.g. easy to add 50metres to a UTM co-ord...try that with a lat/long without a special calculator/brain. Cant remember off the top of my head but I think degree of accuracy is possibly another reason UTM coords were invented. Not an issue for recreational/handheld GPS use though so its more of a personal preference...I prefer UTM for my work. Lat/Long is certainly a tad easier to remember with respect to your rough location ...the zone changes in UTM can get confusing.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488495

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 00:06

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 00:06
The Explorer
Mate I;m no expert, just one of those who get from A 2 B ,Just that when you get info from say GPS from Factory it's always pre-set to Lat/Long. Google Earth the same,and when some one gives a Co-Ord on VKS it's the same , but a thought went through my head as to what the SAS would use but we won't push the question for their security reasons, We don't have to know,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488508

Follow Up By: Member - ian E (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:29

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:29
Hi Doug,
My main reason is when I get files from other sources (i.e.WA Driver) they seem to use UTM Co-Ords, While I could punch these into the GPS its self, I like to do my route planning on the PC as it’s easier to see (read old fart going blind and technically challenged).

My process is;
• Either identify waypoint locations directly on the map or enter the co-ords for the waypoint
• Create a route from the waypoints.
• Upload the route to the GPS

I don’t know if there is a simple accurate conversion process but that’s my next investigation.

Rgds
Ian
FollowupID: 488567

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:46

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:46
No worries Doug - my point was that they are both widely used....whether or not 75% (for example) of people use Lat/long instead of UTM is irrelevant - which one you choose is in a lot of cases a matter of preference especially with respect to recreational use where both have there advantages and disadvatages. If someone wishes to use UTM, so be it. There is a lot of data out there in this format.

It is a MAJOR short coming of DiscoverAus (the main subject of this thread) not to have the ability to input UTM manually (not to mention its lack of datums)..which is one of many reasons I use OziExplorer. Google Earth and most GPS units can be setup to display UTM due to this formats wide usage. SAS? - I would suspect they are trained to use both (and that military grid referencing system), what they use by "default"? Who knows - suspect lat/long. To get the same accuracy as UTM though you must use either decimal degrees, minutes or seconds as "normal" Degrees Minutes and Seconds without decimals is only accurate to +/- 25 metres or so (depending on what part of world you are in).

Ian - here is a listing of free (generally) GPS software, one of which may suit your purpose...as mentioned before I use OziExplorer which will do what you want - though I am not sure if the free version allows upload/download from GPS. I dont use any of the listed software on this website so cant help with a selection - easygps comes to mind but not sure about its UTM capabilities...

www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488576

Follow Up By: Member - ian E (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:09

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:09
Thanks Greg I will have a look at the site, seems like Malcom may have been right, life was not ment to be easy

Rgds
Ian
FollowupID: 488580

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:12

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:12
Greg
Thanks mate , very well answered, I will add that URL to my MAP/GPS page on the net , I take it you have seen the page, ??? members.westnet.com.au/dtilley/maps.htm
I have been playing around with POI's in Microsoft Excel .csv files . they are Lat/Long hddd/ddddd only
Have you got any other info that you can share and have it on my web site

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488582

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:45

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:45
Sorry Doug - I forgot about your super duper website - I need to go through my favourites and edit out old ones so the new ones are more obvious.
With respect to additional info I may have some relevant stuff..I have been collecting good map/gps interent links for years...trouble is I have so many I dont know whats what!! I dont have time at moment (suppose to be working;). I shall do my best to get an up to date listing of the stuff I have and forward it on to you.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488588

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:14

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:14
Greg
I have been working on the site now, Probably will get some peoples brains to go into meltdown ....lol but hell there is some really good info I got from that site you posted, though not Australian the basics are the same,

Oh and I was guessing ,,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ian
After you have your Waypoints in the software or in the GPS if you change the Grid format it automatically changes in the Unit or on the PC

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488591

Follow Up By: Member - ian E (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:38

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:38
Thanks Doug,

I'm going to have a look at "EasyGPS" software, looks like it may do what I want.

Rgds
Ian
FollowupID: 488593

Sponsored Links