Indicating to Pass

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 13:12
ThreadID: 4330 Views:1898 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Earlier post about contacting trucks via UHF reminds me...
Anyone else have a beef about the way some people use their right indicator to signal its OK to pass? Then they use the same indicator when they are going to turn in front of you - and you are supposed to guess which scenario they mean. Surely it only makes sense to put on your left indicator and move to the left of the highway if you are trying to show that a vehicle behind you can pass safely?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jono (Perth WA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 13:30

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 13:30
This was raised some time ago (chech the archives).

Someone mentioned something about a car getting cleaned up because they thought the truck was indicating to tell them it was OK to overtake, when in fact the truck was turning. Not a pretty sight i would suggest!!

I guess indicators should be used for what they were designed for, ie turning/changing lanes etc. However it is also the case that not everyone is going to have a UHF to contact the truckies. And i myself have been guilty in the past of using the indicator method with a truckie as i was without my UHF. It worked, but i was bloody nervious about going around the semi in blinding rain at 110km/hr and i could hardly see the truck let alone any on coming traffic!!! Now i wouldn't go on any outback/country trip without a radio.Cheers, Jono.

Sorry bout the pic, another one is on its way!!! GO THE SURF!!!!
AnswerID: 17301

Follow Up By: Brian - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 16:31

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 16:31
At night I always give a high beam flash as I start to overtake!
I believe that these light are called passing lights in Europe??
Brian
FollowupID: 10910

Reply By: Spanner - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 14:40

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 14:40
Anybody who puts their lives into the hands of a complete stanger they have never even seen before may need to re-think it. Please don't pass until YOU can see. I might be the silly bugger coming the other way.

Cheers
AnswerID: 17305

Reply By: brownie - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 17:45

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 17:45
When someone is looking anxiously to pass my truck, then IF it is safe for them to pass I give them ONE flash with the rh indicator. I only do it once per vehicle, about half the cars pass me, the rest sit behind still looking anxious..................

This method has been in place for years - never heard of any drama with it.
AnswerID: 17317

Reply By: Member - Bonz - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 18:11

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 18:11
Guys,

Go advice but what channel do the Truckies use?

Go Hard!
AnswerID: 17321

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 18:23

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 18:23
Duh!!

Great advice and found the info on channels down further, Ch 40 will do me!

thanx All
FollowupID: 10828

Reply By: colin - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 21:17

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 21:17
it comes down to understanding trucky talk, one flash r/h means ok to pass but its up to you, when a truck does that to another truck and the overtaker gets in front he indicates one left, one right, one left to say thanks, same as a truck overtaking you when its all clear for him to come back in front of you give him a flash of the lights and he knows its save to pull back in without cutting you off, specially with b- doubles as its a long way back to see in the left hand mirror and most times he will give you the indicator thank you to you, am a trucky Col.
AnswerID: 17333

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 21:31

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 21:31
Spent years on the road towing a large caravan. Always used the truckie method of one right flash OK to overtake, one left flash Do Not Overtake. This also worked with trucks that came up behind me just to let them know that I knew they were there. Most ordinary travellers are ignorant of these signals and sit behind you when the coast is clear and then decide to overtake when it is a dangerous move. If someone overtakes while the right flasher of the vehicle ahead is blinking continuously then they are stupid. And, I am afraid, there are many of them.

These days my old 4be is slower than the trucks so the overtaking bit doesn't apply to me:-) Cheers, Willem

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 17336

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:25

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:25
Yep.... 30+ years of driving and understanding the single flash to mean 'overtake'. I also think its really stupid..... I tried to overtake a truck who indicated with a single flash on the right one day, to be faced with a semi head-on. Just got back behind in time. I reckon the one who flashed, hit the indicator by mistake at just the wrong time.

I now indicate continuously to the left when towing a big rig i.e. the cattle on the the big tandem. The following traffic assume that I am pulling over to the side for them and overtake. I often do actually pull over if there is a long stream of them. I much prefer to do this than have an annoying tail behind.

My mate an his wife indicated to turn right with their horsefloat on tow. The float and Mavrick were written off. Luckily horse, wife and mate were okay. With very fast modern cars... they can be beside you before the second flash appears. Yep.... I'm convinced that an idea that has been around for years and worked well most of the time is worth chucking if it make the road more dangerous and there's alternatives.
Time for the right flash to go. Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 17347

Follow Up By: Alan H - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 13:01

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 13:01
I reckon you're right Royce, don't give any signal to other drivers as to when it APPEARS to be safe to go. It's their responsibility to make sure it's safe.
When I'm towing the van, in the North especially, I constantly check for faster traffic coming up behind whether it's a truck or other van, watch for the next signed floodway and pull as far left as poss. and indicate left, slowing down if there's a line of traffic, which is most unusual.
I then give a long flash on HB to indicate that it's safe to pull over to the left once they're past.
As for giving a right indication, if trucks want to do it they can, I'll ignore it until I can see it's safe.
Anyway, as I drive a Land Rover everything else on the road is always overtaking me, or so drivers of other makes tell me!
Alan H
FollowupID: 11093

Reply By: StephenF - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:32

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:32
This thread has prompted me to get one of those little hand-held UHF CBs.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 17362

Sponsored Links