Kimberley - GRR

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 22:22
ThreadID: 4337 Views:1471 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all - Will be heading up into the Kimberley for 6 weeks in two weeks time and was wondering / seeking feedback on -

- Has it been a wet wet this year & are mosquitoes a problem especially so soon after the wet ? We will be taking all the normal precautions etc at dusk and at night but I was a wondering ??

- Been told most water sources up there are suitable for drinking, and there is no need to carry a lot of water??- just enough for a few days

Chow -
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:17

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:17
Lucky B... I've got to wait until July to do the same.
Try checking with Derby tourist office or Mt Elizabeth Station -
"Bushtrack Safari" for your info.
The rivers and falls should be raging - what a blast.
Happy hols.

Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 17344

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:46

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:46
Has been pretty wet and if water is still flowing as I suspect then mossies won't be any more of a problem than usual.
Enjoy,
AnswerID: 17357

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:00

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:00
Your itinerary would put you in the Kimberley around the end of the first week in May. Check with CALM Offices or the Police in Kununurra re road access into the Kimberley's. You may have a problem crossing the Pentecost River.

Mosquitoes are everywhere up north but luckily they do not carry the dreaded diseases as witnessed closer to the tropics(as far as I know).

You can drink any of the running water up in the Kimberley or for that matter anywhere in the tropical north. Floodwaters must be treated with caution. But to be on the safe side always carry 6litres per person per day supply with you. Two days supply of water should suffice but estra would not go astray. I normally carry 40 litres in the vehicle and an extra 40 if taking the trailer.

Check out this site(Exploroz) for more information in Trek Notes or go to www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR/mrwa/run/start.asp

When driving on the GRR take it easy ie. drive at reasonable speeds as the GRR can be savage on tyres. Have fun...tke Kimberley is a magical place.
AnswerID: 17358

Reply By: Member - John- Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 23:08

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 23:08
Folks,

The Mt Elizabeth and Gibb River has had plenty of rain during the wet and even a few falls in the past week or so. Contact the Derby Visitor Office (08) 9191 1426 for up to date info.

Mozzies in Derby are a minor irritation early evening but will dissappear soon.

Do not drink the water without boiling as much of the Kimberley is cattle station land. In the fast flowing rivers it will be pretty good but not perfectly safe. Town & community water supplies are bore water, pretty safe and generally tastes OK, especially after running through a filter jug.

Good news! I found out Manning Gorge near Mount Barnett is open to tourists (for now). A top spot to bludge for a day or so.

JohnS
Derby, WA
AnswerID: 17737

Sponsored Links