Prado 120 Series tanks

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 13:34
ThreadID: 43404 Views:27455 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if it is possible to select which tank you want to use on the 120 series Prado.

As I understand the system on this vehicle, if you have both tanks full, the system initially uses the 1st tank then automatically switches to the 2nd tank when the 1st tank is emptied.

This means that to use the fuel in the 2nd tank, you have to at first use the 90 litres in the 1st tank. That then means that you are faced with a fill of possibly 160 to 170 litres of fuel depending on how much of the 2nd tank you use.

My concern with this is that if you are constantly topping up with say 50, 60 or 70 litres at a time in order to avoid the hit in the back pocket, you never get to use the 90 litres sitting in the 2nd tank.

Is there a method of avoiding this situation that anyone knows of, as I have not found anything in the owners manual suggesting that you can select which tank to use.

Maybe there is an aftermarket kit or something that I dont know about or maybe someone with more knowledge might know if these tanks are cross connected, but somehow I dont think so. It doesnt appear to me that they are like the Patrols where the 2nd tank feeds into the 1st tank, because the guage appears to read of each tank seperately.

I have previously had an aux tank of diesel go bad in the tank and am paranoid about it happening again, so am willing to concider any options suggested.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Juzzy - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 14:13

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 14:13
I recall someone on this site stating that the fuel moves from the auxilliary tank to the main tank via a venturi system so that the fuel in the 2nd tank is topping up the 1st tank all the time.

I am not 100% on this, but do some searches.
AnswerID: 228317

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 15:44

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 15:44
yep, that's how I've read it works, so you're really using the 2nd tank 1st!

The gauge takes a little bit of getting used to, once it gets to helf way* it flicks back to full again and the "90L to go" light comes on (and acts like a normal fuel gauge)

* half way means about 100L, not 90 in my experience.
AnswerID: 228345

Follow Up By: Juzzy - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 16:45

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 16:45
I thought the first tank was 93L and the second tank 87L.

They just round it up to 90L each :)
FollowupID: 489122

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 15:49

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 15:49
So what you are both saying is that there is no chance of fuel sitting in the tank going bad because the 2nd tank drains into the first tank.

That would mean that when you fill up after the 90L to go light comes on that you are topping up both tanks.

Do I have that correct.
AnswerID: 228347

Follow Up By: George_M - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 16:30

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 16:30
Yup.

That is correct.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 489118

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 16:38

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 16:38
Thank you for the answers.

That has taken a bit of a weight off my shoulders.

I envisaged having to use 170 litres to use the fuel up and then having to find $230 to fill it all again.

Good stuff
AnswerID: 228358

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:12

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:12
Thats totally different to the 90 series. With the 90 series even when running on main tank when you first turn ignition on the green light on the reserve tank lights up, once started it flicks back over to main BUT every now and then it transfers from the main to the reserve tank whilst running off main tank. I did notice this last week that when I first got the vehicle the reserve was on half and I was running off it. I whacked $50 in the main and switched over to main but by the end of the week the reserve was nearly full. Read the service books and this is normal for this procedure to happen. Also spoke to a bloke at work and he said yep all normal. But my mate has the 120 series and said is a pain in the ar#e trying to work out his fuel consumption just running off the first tank of fuel but mine is the same with the way it works. Only way I reckon is fill both up chockers drive around then refill both again. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 228367

Reply By: Member - John R (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:24

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:24
That was possibly me Juzzie. The 120 uses an ejector pump (no moving parts) which is located in the main tank to continuously transfer fuel from the sub tank to the main. Because it is a low pressure transfer system it just stops whenever the main is full. The fuel for the engine is drawn from the main tank at all times. So, if the main tank's full and if there is fuel in the sub tank it just transfers at the engine consumption rate.

Therefore there's no chance you will end up with "stale" fuel in your system.

The downside of this type of system is that if you hole either tank you run the risk of losing most, if not all of your fuel.

Holing the main is the most serious scenario, because it will empty out (whilst still transferring fuel from the sub). Then there's no way to transfer fuel from the sub (until at least you can get the leak fixed and engine started, which will run the ejector pump and transfer fuel :-) The problem here is that while all this is happening a lot of fuel from your sub will be transferred into the main (which is draining through the leak). So you're losing some of its contents even though it's not leaking :-(

If you hole the sub, then you just lose its contents.

With a selectable tank system ala 90 series you are afforded some protection from the first problem.

We have several of these pumps in our planes. They run automatically and never break down. Quite ingenious actually :-)
AnswerID: 228370

Sponsored Links