Truckster / GQ rust in rear windows

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 21:56
ThreadID: 4360 Views:2536 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Truckster,

In an earlier post, you made a comment about changing your rear window sils owing to rust (common GQ prob.) You indicated that it was an easy job...

Is this a DIY job - or one for the panel & paint crew ? If the latter, how much does it cost ?

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 23:10

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 23:10
Without a lie.... 20 mins including cleaning everything with Metho!

The frame you will get from Nissan. be prepared.. $200ish. But they last 10+yrs.

Pushing out the window frame is a 1 person job, but to catch the falling frame is another person required!!!

One to push the window out (it is REALLY easy.. I mean My mate wasnt ready it was that easy), I just leaned on mine, at the top rear and the rubber started to give, and your mate to catch it.

Clean the car body section with Metho, rip the glass out of the other frame by spreading the rubber frame, take note of how it comes out and put it back in after a clean up with metho... Careful the glass IS VERY SHARP, its not arrased or anything.

Theres 2 ways to get the frame and glass back in.

Use no sealant on the rubber.

1) put some small rope inside the rubber where it seals to the body. When you get most of the rubber on by pushing or using the rope pulling one end of it to wedge the rubber on, you pull the rope from the inside the car(installing the frame from outside!) and it spreads the rubber over the body work...

2) the other is to use a small screwdriver to lift the rubber over the frame as you go along... similar idea to a tire on a rim.

HTH.
I have one more to do.. so might do a How To page with photos.
AnswerID: 17424

Follow Up By: Brian - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:37

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:37
I recently bought my GQ and one of the things I noticed on all the ones I looked at was the rust on the rear side window sills... mine is a DX so doesn't have the sliders, also has no rust there yet. Interestingly all the DX's I looked at didn't have rust there but I am still wondering if this is a problem only with sliding window frames or if the non-sliding frames are not as prone to rust. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
FollowupID: 10940

Follow Up By: GPA - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:52

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:52
Truckster,

Thanks heaps for the detailed reply... I'd be very interested in seeing your 'how to' with pics.

Just to clarify - is there a 'replaceable' metal frame sitting underneath the rubber - and it is just 'press fitted' onto the car body ?

From what you say, it appears that there is no painting required ?

Thanks again !
FollowupID: 10941

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 10:58

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 10:58
Yes it only affects the sliding windows.
I pulled mine out B4 the rust got bad, had them sandblasted and cadmium (or similar) plated, repainted and now it's much better than Nissan sell new. It is a DIY job to remove and refit- though a bit time consuming and hard on your finger tips!
The new ones are painted only and will rust if you live near the coast or in rainy areas (they get wet under the rubber and stay wet for weeks!)
AnswerID: 17453

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 08:56

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 08:56
GPS..

the rubbers are part of the new Frame. its one piece.

You replace the rubbers AND the metal frame.

Theres a boat Builder in Milperra that makes them out of other stuff, alloy or stainless (was 2 yrs ago!) but the price was more than double... can find it if your rich, but the replacement ones now are different to OEM ones.
AnswerID: 17496

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 09:03

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 09:03
and no painting!
AnswerID: 17497

Sponsored Links