D40 Navara trailer brake wiring

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:29
ThreadID: 43612 Views:19911 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just bought a Tekonsha Prodigy and the installation manual says you can buy a wiring loom that just plugs in for some vehicle makes.

Does anyone know if the D40 Navara with Nissan fitted tow bar comes with a plug for easy installation of electric trailer brakes? If so where could it be located?

Thanks,
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PeteS - Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 19:52

Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 19:52
Hi MyGreencruiser

I can't specifically answer your question in regards to a D40 Navara however I am in the process of wiring my own electric brakes (Tekonsha Voyager not Tekonsha Progidy) and could not find a standard loom as you mention. I have the standard Toyota towbar fitted with wiring (7 pin flat trailer plug).

Essentially I had to run +ve & -ve (+ve via a c/breaker) from the battery to the controller. A 25amp cable (does not have to be but if possible use blue as this is the colour code used) from the controller to the rear. Also connected the Voyager to the switched side of the brake switch.

I followed the wiring loom from the "flat 7 pin trailer plug" at the rear and found (Prado 2007 build) it comes up inside the vehicle and terminates in a plug where the jack is located (the blue heavy brake wire was the only one not connected). I verified the blue wire was connected to pin 5 as it should be and have connected the Voyager to this blue cable.

Summary after all that waffling on is: No wiring loom is avaliable to us in Oz that makes it that easy. The only chance (very slim) you have is that Nissan have standard wiring that includes this cabling.

I bought the Voyager brake controller with a cabling kit from Derek at ABR who is one of the advertisers at ExplorOz.
Refer to www.sidewinder.com.au/page23.html or his home page www.sidewinder.com.au/ then look under products.

Cheers
PeteS
AnswerID: 229664

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 21:52

Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 21:52
Not really sure why anyone would fit a Voyager in preference to a Prodigy. Any explanation besides dollars???
FollowupID: 490486

Follow Up By: PeteS - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 06:27

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 06:27
Hi Andrew
The Voyager choice is simple. We are about to take delivery of a Kimbeley Karavan which has an electric to hydraulic actuator for the Disc brakes. Only the Voyager works with these actuators.
Cheers
PeteS
FollowupID: 490498

Reply By: wdric - Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 20:47

Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 20:47
Be carefull

I would make some inquiries with the dealer, strange things may happen if you tamper with the wiring on this truck.

I am sure this is the case with the actual towbar wiring so I would play it safe

ric
AnswerID: 229683

Reply By: disco1942 - Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 21:19

Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 21:19
I have not seen any offerings of Tekonsha wiring looms for Australian vehicles. Remember their largest market is in the Untied States and that is the market the handbook is printed for.

Just remember that it is recommended that the wire to the stop light circuit should be taken to the stop lights at the rear of the vehicle. Probably the best place to pick up a connection is at the trailer socket. This means that you will not have to splice into any of the manufacturers wiring. Take the battery supply wire direct to the battery through a thermal circuit breaker (of the resetting type.)

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 229694

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 21:56

Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 21:56
I had a Prodigy fitted to my new D40 when I first got it last year. I also read that wiring loom was available for some vehicles but was strongly advised by Nissan (and others) to use an experienced auto electrician to fit it ( cost was about $100). May have cost me more but it has never missed a beat and I reckon it was money well spent. Reading numerous posts about problems fitting them yourself i think it was money well spent.
AnswerID: 229700

Sponsored Links