92 NH Pajero suspension noises

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 20:05
ThreadID: 4380 Views:8383 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a '92 Pajero and it's starting do develop that typical 4WD suspension creak when you go over bumps and whatever. Is there a common part that is replaced in the suspension of the paj because of these noises? ie bushes etc. What are other peoples experiences here. The sound appears to be coming from the rear but it is hard to tell. I guess I'll have to go through the whole lot and change every bush etc but other peoples ideas would be appreciated...

cheers

mike

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:29

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:29
Logical question.
Have you given the rear end a good grease and lube? Pivot points, etc?

get a mate to bounce the car (Im fat so I usually do the bouncing on the towbar while someone listens :)~ ) while you lay under the car, see if you can pinpoint the area of the noise.. Then easier to say what needs to be done.

Being a 92 mod, have any of the suspension/shock bushes been changed? Is your model leaf or coils (not up on Paj's).. Same again leaf bushes, control arm bushes etc..

Suspension noises are ANNOYING ...Well any under car noise is annoying!
AnswerID: 17536

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:34

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:34
sounds a little like tortion bars work the front suspention mounted behind drivers seat get that bit checkedlooking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17537

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 22:13

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 22:13
It has coil springs all round. I've geased all the grease nipples I can see and sprayed all the bushes with CRC. but it's still there. Yep they are annoying. Is there any common problems in this area with pajeros that anyone knows of ? The car had done 230k now so I guess I should expect some noise coming from it now. Is there a noticeable difference after polyuerothane bushes are fitted? I notice on other forums there are people asking about replacing their front torsion bars for stiffer units.Why? Is there that much difference. I had better find out about these possibilities before I jump in and replace bushes in case maybe I should be going a step or two further.
My car has upgraded shocks and springs in it which has lifted it up a little. For the amount of offroad work I do it is more than suffient.

Comments?
Suggestions?
AnswerID: 17541

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:30

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:30
Diamond may be the man for this one, he works with suspension....

Stiffer Torsion bars can give more lift...

Poly bushes, its one of them things, depends what day it is and who you ask! If the OEM ones lasted 11yrs, why not go them again? Probably pricey, but will last.

Maybe take the bushes out of ALL the links/bars and run some grease around them to see if that helps out, also on all the bolts on the mounts.

HTH.
FollowupID: 11008

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 06:19

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 06:19
Might also be the bushes that support the body on the chassis. Everyone gets involved in the "suspension problems", but forgets the chassis is in torsion in normal day to day use (potholes, etc.) with a body bolted to it. Try retensioning the body support bolts, might need new rubber supports too.
AnswerID: 17555

Follow Up By: zigglemeister - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:05

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:05
I had an L300 4wd van that sounded terrible (they're basically a shortened Pajero chassis). The guy I sold it to fixed the noises by spraying the pivot bushes for the control arms with WD40... It was an earlier model, but it might be worth a try.
FollowupID: 11026

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:12

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:12
Mike,

We had the same clunking noises in our '94 NH Pajero. We did all the things suggested so far...replacing bushes, greasing, played around with torsion bars etc etc. Even after a rear suspension lift, the noises remained. Never got to the bottom of it. Annoying yes, but not a problem otherwise.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 17582

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 18:52

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 18:52
i had a pajero at work a cpl of years ago with a creaking noise but in the front so it might not be any help.we greased the ball joints no change so i put a small hole in all ball joint boot big enough to put the little pipe that comes with a can of crc and squirted it in to the boots .hay presto creak gone.looking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17605

Reply By: mik*2 - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 22:22
thanks for the comments people. I think I'll start by doing the back suspension bushes and see how I go. I've tried all the obvious quick fixes so I better start replacincing things bit by bit. I'll have a go at lubing the body support rubbers as well and see how this goes...

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 17624

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 00:07

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 00:07
Mik.
Just done a front end creak in a 92 it was the pivot at the rear of the bottom wish bone, just take out the torsion bar, take out the bush pin clean and grease and reasemble, note the white lines on the torsion bar line up with notches in the brakets, bingo. Eric.
AnswerID: 17629

Sponsored Links