new water tank

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 16:34
ThreadID: 43846 Views:2617 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
g'day, have just installed a 60lt water tank on my camper trailer.It has the filler hole ,one for the tap/pump and another one i was told is the breather????? i have connected the filler hose and the tap/pump but what do i do with the breather?? it has a screw in device but it is sealed where as the tap/pump has the same device but is hollow. filler hose is connected to the middle of the tank up the side, so what happens when i fill the tank past this point, with the air inside the top of tank will it still fill up???cheers skipp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 16:59

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 16:59
Most campers and caravans don't have a breather on the tank as such but just drill an 2-3mm hole in the blanked off bit.
If I was you I'd drill the hole, screw a fitting into it and then run a hose up as high as you can and fit a small fuel filter on the end to keep the bugs and dust out.
AnswerID: 230863

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 22:20

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 22:20
Hi Skipp - As you know, the breather lets air out as you fill the tank, and lets air in as you empty the water.
There are 3 things you can do with the breather outlet.
1. Do nothing - It still works, unless mud wasps may fill it up, and dust etc can get into your tank. You also need to keep looking underneath the tank as you fill it, to watch for water running out the breather so you know the tank is full.
2. Attach a length of plastic hose, and put a small filter on the end. Foam rubber can act as a filter, but is not porous enough to let the air out quickly when filling the tank. You can buy a small plastic filter head from garden irrigation shops.
3. Attach a plastic hose and run it up to the filler cap. The newer model filler caps include a hole and tube that you attach the breather to.
The advantage of this method, is you know when the tank is completely full as water will squirt out the breather hole of the filler cap.
AnswerID: 230907

Reply By: disco1942 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 00:26

Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 00:26
The later model lockable water fillers have a connector for a piece of tubing that connects to that breather on your tank. When you remove the cap from the filler you expose the large filler pipe and the smaller breather. Before connecting the breather tube you drill as large a hole in it as you can.

To see a picture or the filler go to Then click on catalogue (near the top of the page,) then select the RV button. On the LHS of the ensuing page you will see a list of sections of the catalogue you can download in PDF form. Download section 35 and on the top LHS of page 102 a couple of pictures of the Camec Lockable Water Fillers. These are designed to operate in conjunction with the tank breather. No doubt there are other models that will do the same job but this is the model I am familiar with.

Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 230918

Reply By: skipp - Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 19:24

Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 19:24
thanks for the help.
went back to where i got the tank,different person told me i was given the run around.the two outlets on the is to join to another tank if i wish and the other is outlet to tap,,,,one of these i was told is the breather. the breather is on top of my now have to pull tank of and start agian
thanks agian
AnswerID: 231063

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)