How to hit a wombat?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 10:25
ThreadID: 4388 Views:3269 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I had my first encounter with a wombat this weekend, and I ended up on my side. From what I have heard before, I should let the hit happen, then come to a controlled stop. Right? What I did was to step on the brakes, and try to avoid it. Could anyone give me theire point of view as to how to handle a wombat hit? Maybe next time I will get away even better, as if I am not lucky enough allready.

Jo

PS: I have some pictures on my website from the crash, if interested.http://www.pad.no/
A viking in a desert :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:06

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:06
What to do?

Well, its one of those you cant be fully prepared for every situation that comes along...

Wombats are as you say built like a brick bleep ter, friends sister hit one on a Gemini in the 80's and ripped the diff out..

Your best option is probably to just make sure your wheels dont hit it, and go from there, if it hits the diff, then BANG.. if it hits your wheels, theres a lot more chance of you losing control of ya car.

The Troopy looks a write off..

AnswerID: 17568

Follow Up By: Member - Jo (NSW) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:12

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:12
By instinct I tried to make sure the wheels didnt hit it, but if they did or not, I dont know. Couldnt find the wombat afterwards, all in all, Im lucky I reckon.

The troopy is no write-off. I will fix up the siderails, use some 2"x4" and a jack to push out out the sides and it will be as good as new! The only thing I need is a new gutter, the fiberglass roof is easy enough to patch.

Jo
http://www.pad.no/
FollowupID: 11020

Reply By: bruce.h - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:22

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:22
Jo
iwould say you had an encouter with two wombats one on foot & one behind the wheel of a truck as to which was the dumb animal who could tell hope this dosnt keep yopu off the road long
regards bruce
AnswerID: 17570

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:05

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:05
Truckie was probably too smashed, or on too much of a time limit to get to the other end.

Bloke I drove with was owner driver, given 9 hours to get to Melbourne
FollowupID: 11025

Follow Up By: Member - Jo (NSW) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:14

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:14
I still had to much of an adrenalin rush to fully take it in when it happened. I was working on attaching the chain when the truck came, I hardly had time react before it happened. I couldnt hear it coming either because I was in front of the other truck helping me. His attitude was shocking to, first I heard him say that he had heard the radiomessage, then he said he had seen the torch, but obviously he didnt react to either. He also tried to make it sound like it was my fault, having an accident in his path. I didnt think of taking his details as I was still happy to be alive.

Bizarre thing is that after I had my troopy on all wheels again, I let the oils settle for 10 minutes, before I could keep on driving.

Johttp://www.pad.no/
FollowupID: 11029

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:59

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:59
I read a sad story some years back about a wombat called Waddle & Crump but his ending was much much sadder than yours. Call yours Waddel and Crunch.
Who's an expert in such matters ?? No one really. But there are certain management techs to reduce the chances. #1Never brake hard and swerve - you probably didn't even hit the bloddy W. #2 Drive according to the conditions - at night anywhere you can expect roos, wombats, cattle, trucks, accidents, wet roads etc. If you can't stop in the distance that you can see in your lights then you are outdriving your lights - you take your chances. Try driving along a dark road at speed with lights on HB then switch them to LB it's scary. It's called defensive driving.
When I look at the pics I think you are really lucky you didn't roll over the rail - looks a long way down.
Sorry about your rig and poor Sara who looks bleep tered and cold.
Really hope it all patches up OK. Great web page.
AnswerID: 17573

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:26

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:26
Jo , Pleased tosee you got out unscarred, except for the tojo. Under the circumstances you were lucky the 4th semi didn't do more damage than just the r'rack.

They are a tough old wagon. Would be investing in a headlamp upgrade too, once you get it mobile. Good website. Horroo...
AnswerID: 17583

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 00:37

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 00:37
So my sister and family were visiting us in Gippsland. They are from Derby in the Kimberley. I took them out in the old Hj47 troopie to see some wildlife. We spotted swamp wallabies, grey foresters, a koala and then we went looking for a wombat. We have lovely big, sleek fence wrecking fellas. Oh there's one I said to my 5 year old niece as it ran out in front of us, under the wheel and we bounced over it. Damn! Next morning I went down to the spot and found it with a young one in its pouch ... dead. Not a nice experience. I don't like hurting them.

My friend wrote off his Sigma by hitting one square on. Rammed the radiator back into the engine.

I aim to miss, but if no choice put the wheels over them. It's way better than hitting under the body centrally. If you are ready, you can manage the big bump and bounce.
Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 17632

Sponsored Links