navara D40 lift kits/tyres

Submitted: Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 07:37
ThreadID: 43906 Views:16832 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I just ordered the d40 navara and need to know the best option for lift kits as it needs at lest 50mm and also the tyres what size can you put on I have 16inch wheels would like 275/70/16 but don’t know if I can if anyone can help out would be great thanks (QLD)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: True Blue - Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 08:42

Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 08:42
Hope your as happy with your D40 as we are Gdad. We've had ours since Oct 06
(2.5td 6spd) and is probably the most rewarding car I have owned and driven.
The economy of 8.4L/100km touring (12.5L/100km with a van) doesn't hurt either.
We have just fitted Firestone coilrite airsprings on the rear (imported themselves ourselves from USA - much cheaper) and 245/75/16 Hercules M/Ts.
We have found this enough for our requirements.

At the recent Wandin 4x4 show (Vic) there was a tricked up D40 with large tyres and substantial lift on one of the displays and I am fairly certain it was from the local boys at Opposite Lock (Preston, Vic). You may have some luck if you contact them.

Cheers for now and happy motoring with your new rig.

Wayne.
AnswerID: 231162

Follow Up By: Gdad - Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:09

Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:09
Thanks I see you only put rear springs on was that to just take the load of the van I tow my van up the beach so I was thinking I needed the extra clearance of a 50mm lift all round
FollowupID: 492101

Follow Up By: True Blue - Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 14:35

Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 14:35
Thats pretty much about it Gdad. Our van is 1.4t and with the slightly saggy rear end of the Navara, we decided to do with the Airbags. However, not only were we concerned about the weight of the van but we also do a lot of camping and sometimes both on the same trip.

With the airbags (black type), 1 psi can support 32lbs (sorry imperial not metric)
and with a maximum inflation rate of 100 psi, I think the total support weight was somewhere around 5,500lbs. When they are fitted you have to remove the small rubber bump stop which sits exactly where the airbags require to go. So because this bump stop is removed the instructions say to always maintain at least 5psi in the airbags. We always carry our waeco, recovery gear, tools with us at all times so we decided to put in 10psi. I couldn't believe how much of a lift just this pressure gave us. Last weekend we put all our camping gear in with the 10psi and I couldn't measure the suspension sag,it was that small. It works that well that you are able to blow into the airline (before you connect the valve etc.) and just by blowing you can make the body rise.

We feel that this will more than satisfy our requirements so have decided to leave the front alone and see how we go. On that score we did some very difficult (for us) terrain with our 4wd club recently in the local high country and our standard vehicle went everywhere they did with no touches.

By the way we shopped around big time to get the best price on the airbags and finally decided on importing themselves through Truck Spring Co. of Michigan USA.
If you want there on line ordering website please let me know. For our car, the total cost was $490 and that included shipping to your door.

Cheers, Wayne :) ..... have a great easter!

FollowupID: 492136

Follow Up By: Gdad - Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 16:01

Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 16:01
Thanks for that Wayne its not often you get a good in-depth reply just letting you know that thanks. if I go for the air bags I will let you now
FollowupID: 492150

Reply By: Member - warren B (QLD) - Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 09:19

Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 09:19
gdad im waiting on a D40 also, Im putting a 2 inch TGM lift under it as soon as it arrives with air bags as well. bullbar, winch,siderails,sidesteps, spotlights roofracks. they told me middle of april delivery. let me know how you got on when you get it. im also in QLD. Be ready to open the wallet for the lift.
AnswerID: 231170

Follow Up By: Gdad - Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:11

Monday, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:11
thats a lot of mods dont have the $$$$ for that i just want a lift and maybe biger wheels but your truck sounds like its going to be good
FollowupID: 492102

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 04:54

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 04:54
If its any help to you I have recently had fitted a Ride Pro suspension kit, to my D22 ,
3.0 TD Navara, as after a few trips up into the Deserts she was a little sad.

See PostID: 41523

2" lift all round, and they put my Poly Air bags back on too..
Went for the heavy pak, and the whole thing is brilliant too,, softer than original, has load carrying capacity, and travells good in the High Country ( whats left of it )
All up cost $920 Brilliant,, but I had already put the poly air bags on ,, and 2 new shockers, that were only 8 months old, so why pitch them ?

As for the tyres,, well I have 245/75 Cooper ATR's ,, Rotate them every 5000 knm and have done 75,000 km on them and they still have 8-10 mm tread left on them ,,,,
You make up your own mind, but be warned those Cooper's Tramline ,, but they do it on both cambers of the road,
But they are as tough as hell.
They have a tendancy to get harder in the sidewalls as they get older.. Either that or I am getting softer,, whatever is easier ( hehehehehehehe )

Cheers Mate
Bucky
AnswerID: 231342

Sponsored Links