Staying overnight in WA roadside rest areas

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 15:41
ThreadID: 4392 Views:6624 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Does anyone happen to what the current laws are relating to stopping overnight in roadside rest areas etc in WA. I know it used to be that you couldn't stop within 40km's of town or CVP, but someone told me this legislation had been reversed due to traveller backlash.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 17:05

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 17:05
melissa
try contacting warco asthey deling with our camping laws & would be able to give you factual information & not hearsay
Regards bruce
AnswerID: 17592

Reply By: Member - Ray - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 17:36

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 17:36
Mellisa,We have heard all the rules and regs but I have NEVER met anyone who has been made to move on in WA
AnswerID: 17598

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:05

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:05
they're pretty red hot in Broome these days as people camp just about EVERYWHERE once the place is full.
FollowupID: 11061

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:06

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:06
Melissa
There's an excellent little publication (probably vaailable from this site) about campsites in WA (one with dogs also) that should explain rules and regs.
AnswerID: 17614

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:02

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:02
Thanks Allyn,

We have a couple of publications on free campsites and can usually find somewhere to stop overnight. However, I have found in some regions there are "holes" in the publications which leaves us looking for our own campsites. Also, from time to time we find good stopping places that aren't listed and we always wonder if it is because we aren't allowed to stop there.

Bit tough about Broome clamping down. Not like you've got a lot of choices once all the CVP's are full, which is literally all season.

Thanks anyway.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 11081

Reply By: Member - Graham - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:13

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:13
Melissa, I can't answer your question about WA but I had a look at your photos of your Patrol and camper trailer. Looks great and reads well.

I have a similar set up and was impressed with what you have done.

Safe travelling....Regards Graham...DOING IT! LOVING IT!
AnswerID: 17615

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:04

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:04
Thanks Graham, this rig is our pride and joy. What sort of camper trailer do you have?

FollowupID: 11083

Reply By: gary - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:43

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:43
Hi Melissa,
Wife & i did from Roxby Downs in S.A. to Karatha and back down to perth doing roadside stop overs and had no problems at all. Most stops are sighned and with whats there ie: toilets, shade, light, 24hr and so on.The book camps Australia wide give you a fair bit of info, saved a heap of $$ and had a great time. Most stop overs had at least 1 or 2 campers as well, but the further up we got the more people stayed in them, have a good safe trip hope this helped.
Gary
AnswerID: 17617

Reply By: geoff - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:05

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:05
Hidey ho,

a group of us, (four cars, six adults and 6 children) did the kimberlies circuit in October last year and we only paid for camping for a few nights in Broome. We used a publication "free camping in northern WA" ???? that listed all spots and amenities throughut the area, we never had any problems and would recomend it as some of the spots where absolutely glorious, (Saw pit gorge 30 ks out of halls creek springs immediatly to mind). camping and map shops should carry the publication and it is worth it's weight in gold.

Cheers
AnswerID: 17640

Reply By: rors101 - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:29

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:29
I hate to say it ... but there is only ONE region called he "KIMBERLEY" - ie NO "Kimberlies"
If you like the place, please use it's name. ;-)

AnswerID: 17641

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:09

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:09
Thanks to all who answered. We have a couple of free camping guides and find them invaluable. We've also travelled WA extensively and in our experience camping for free up north is easy as there are long distances between towns and plenty of crown land.

Down south of WA and in the wheatbelt regions its not so easy to find somewhere to stop. Some areas are not covered by the free camping books or alternatively we find a good spot that isn't in the books and wonder why not. That's why I was trying to clarify the laws.

AnswerID: 17648

Follow Up By: Alan H - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 16:21

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 16:21
Mellisa, listening to ABC radio in Perth recently and heard some discussion re a new book on camping sites by Hema Maps. Apparently it's got gps readings and where the best parts of each campsite are and took about 18 months to check them all out.
Their maps look good to me and they have a good name for detail, so I suspect this new one will be of a similiar standard.
Happy camping.
FollowupID: 11104

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 14:22

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 14:22
Thanks Alan,

We could use an updated book and the hema one sounds good. I have found directions and locations in others can sometimes be a bit iffy but a book with waypoints should makes things easier.

Wish I'd had the job of checking out all those campsites, LOL.

FollowupID: 11146

Reply By: Member - Jono (Perth WA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 13:31

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 13:31
Melissa,

I'm not sure on the exact laws regarding staying in road stops, however i can tell you that rangers/police/council people can request that you move on. As you would know, many road stops in the South West actually have signs saying 'NO CAMPING' or similar. I have always taken the view that if there is no sign preventing camping then I give it a go, assuming i don't know that it is not allowed in that area.

If you are stopping in a road stop and driving into the bush a bit off the road stop then you obviously need to be sure that you are not venturing onto someone's land or there could be trouble.

I have a contact in the DPI (Department of Planning and Infrastructure) and I will send him an email today and let you know what he responds with.

I'll get back to you soon.Cheers, Jono.

Sorry bout the pic, another one is on its way!!! GO THE SURF!!!!
AnswerID: 17666

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 19:50

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 19:50
Too bad if you've had a few beers at your camp and are over the limit - would'nt be favourable for any authority to force people to drive after drinking. That's Today Tonight material.
Police can't issue infringements for camping in illegal areas (only if you're on private property and refusing to leave after the owner's request - simple trespassing is a civil matter), only rangers can, therefore police would have to call up a ranger out in the middle of nowhere to supply the paperwork - yep, not worth the effort and I can't see CALM or local shires paying the overtime. I'm sure rangers and shire reps would be understandable if you innocently thought you were doing the right thing.
At the same time, if you're in an area where the sign says no camping you probably deserve the penalty.Love the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 11113

Reply By: lizard - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 14:57

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 14:57
If a ranger or similar try to move you on - inform them that in your opinion you are too tired to drive any further and have to sleep , if they insist then ask them for their number (for future legal action) , my info is that with current campaign re tired drivers etc that they will be reluctant to move you on.
AnswerID: 17673

Follow Up By: Member - Jono (Perth WA) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 11:30

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 11:30
yeah lizard,
this is just what i've been thinking. they (the authorities) wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you said that you were too tired to go on. Your right, if they were to force you to keep driving then they could be the ones in trouble.

good point.Jono.

!!FOR SALE!!
If anyone wants to buy a Surf with bugger all k's then get in touch by clicking on this picture. I'm off to find a Cruiser.....
FollowupID: 11179

Reply By: dickwho - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 14:35

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 14:35
Melissa,
There are two really excellent publications by Jan Holland (no relation) named Priceless Campsites & Rest Areas in the South of W.A. and same title in the North of W.A. They have GPS locations of the sites listed, plus a "mud map" of their location/s

We got our copies in a bookshop in Albany, so I expect that they would be readily available throughout.

Respecting the stopping in rest areas overnight we experienced no problems, though we were told that the local council at Kalbarri was a bit hot, but hey, what about the NSW RTA slogan "Rest, Revive, Survive". So long as you don't look like you are taking up permanent residence you should be right. Did hear a roadside story about a caravan park owner on the west coast playing at council ranger & telling people that they couldn't roadside camp within 40 km of a caravan park. So if in doubt ask for I.D. you are quite within your rights to do so.

We had a great trip up the WA coast except for a long weekend at Mary Pool Rest Area (between Hall's Creek & Fitzroy Crossing) where we encountered some motor bike morons on Harley's from Broome who stuffed up a real nice place by showing everyone what a moron really is.

Jan Holland has an e-mail address: campsite@start.com.au

We'll be back this year.

Dick Holland
AnswerID: 17776

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 13:54

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 13:54
Thanks Dick,

Jan Hollands book was recently recommended by a friend so I guess I better keep an eye out for it.

Shame about the morons at Mary Pool rest area. Unfortunately these days getting well out of town is no guarantee of being out of range of these types. We've had a couple of bad experiences, one in CVP where the manager seemed powerless to do anything until next morning which meant the rest of us had a sleepless night.

Luckily, these type of incidents are generally still rare.

:o) Melissa Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 11188

Follow Up By: lizard - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 18:08

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 18:08
Dick , morons aplenty ... ruined a good spot and night I bet ..... I heard Halls Crk shire was trying to close Mary Pool ... and that the Onslow shire (after pressure from Caravan park) was trying to close 3 mile pool ... have you heard this ?
FollowupID: 11196

Reply By: Dick Holland - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:04

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:04
Have heard nothing about Mary Pool being closed, it will be a shame if they are allowed to do so. What are the options Halls Creek CVP, wow! or Old Halls Creek CVP, wow again! I had to wait in Halls Creek for a long week end to get mail and we camped at Caroline Pool which is on the road to OldHalls Creek. One of the local cops put us onto that, but Halls Creek doesn't offer much unless you like crap blowing all over the place and drunks fighting.

We are going back to WA this June but are going from Alice Springs to Marble Bar via Kintore, so we won't be turning north when we hit the coast. Rather we will go south and come back east along the Trains Australia Railway access track.

Does anyone know how this is?

Dick

Dick
AnswerID: 17883

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:39

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:39
We spent a week in Halls Creek one day !!!

It should be renamed it "Hells Crack"
FollowupID: 11222

Sponsored Links