GPS taiwan

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:02
ThreadID: 4403 Views:1787 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I have to go to taiwan soon and was wondering if anybody has purchased a gps unit from over there? and if there are any problems downloading oz maps when i get home.
I am looking at a garmin v or 76s

Thanks

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jonny dontknowmuch - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:33

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:33
ive done some tours around the asaia countries as for buying gps ive got no experience but have bought electrical stuff. watch your power sources as it could be different voltage but may have a built in transformer which will give you the range that it works in plus remember if the joint looks dodge it will be even if they have the brand name on it piracy is rampent up there so be careful and try and get an international warrenty with it sony wont do it but other big name brand will. have fun on the trip too as people in asian countries carnt do enough for you there very polite and friendly. happy hunting.
AnswerID: 17651

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:09

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:09
I've done a few trips to Asia and never buy anything of value anymore, as stated above piracy is rampant.

the last thing of value I bought was a Pentax camera in Hong Kong, (my other one was stolen) could have bought it at home in the USA for 40% less.

I was in Thailand last year and the gemstones and gold were very expensive and quality was suspect.

Better off to buy locally with local service.

Have a fun trip - don't catch SARS
FollowupID: 11089

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:34

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:34
Garmins you cant change the base maps if it has them..

Magellans you can change to the Aussie one.
AnswerID: 17658

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 14:03

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 14:03
Guarantees & servicing become big problems because of subtle differences in models. If you phone around the duty free shops in your city of departure you may find one selling with a local guarantee. Also call the distributors direct and ask who sells their product duty free in Aust. Do a Google search.
Trouble when you buy something o/s if there's a problem you can't take it back. Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 17671

Reply By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 23:45

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 23:45
Simon, you are getting some rather distorted views on this from people who probably just made a flying visit and did no market research.

Firstly, before you leave, research the market and know what you want to buy and what you can buy it for in Australia. Then when you get to Taiwan research the market there with recognised suppliers, not some small electrical shop.Check the Garmin (or whatever brand you want) website and find the address of the distributor and then contact them either before you go or when you arrive.

My experience of 32 years living in Asia tells me that a Garmin purchased in Taiwan (where most of them are made) will be just as reliable as one purchased in Australia. I have a variety of Garmin GPS's mostly purchased in Singapore and they have never had a defect.

Recently I purchased a GPS 176C from Johnny Appleseed in Brisbane. Not exactly on my doorstep.

Regards
Dick
AnswerID: 17821

Sponsored Links